Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continues Win2k pro probs

• 16-08-2001 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right, I've noticed this problem from the day I installed win 2k, and I've tried re-installing it too...here it goes....

When trying to boot up programmes which use a menu system (interactive) I.E Max Payne
    I get this message saying:

"The Win16 Subsystem Was unable to enter Protected Mode,DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH."

now this will only happen for certain things... but works fine for others
    Red Alert 2's Menu when u pop in the cd will work fine but when u try a pcgamer or max payne cd and shuv it into the drive that error message appears, I've located Dosx.exe but couldnt locate the Autoexec after a long time, maybe i didnt look hard enough I dunno but any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

DooDee u tit.
    Install WIN 98 SE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

C:\Winnt\System32\Autoexec.nt is what you're looking for.

As for putting dosx in your path, ahm, well it's in \winnt\system32 so it's in the path already.

Add this line to your autoexec.nt:
    c:\winnt\system32\dosx.exe

Should solve the problem.

Most games don't run well under win2k, it's more of a business OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Most games don't run well under win2k, it's more of a business OS. </font>

Don't know where you get that idea. Most games actually run perfectly fom my experience.

The only ones I had probs with were Final Fantasy VII (the Riva patch wouldn't play nice with my TNT2 under Win2k, only Win98se), and two very old DOS games, both of required the original EMM386.exe from old DOS & Windows and raw DOS ram configuration to work.

E.g., Privateer wouldn't work. Also Ultima VII used the same memory routines, but for christ's sake I even got Wing Commander III from 1995 to run.

Also, even for DOS games you can get a Roland LAPC-1 and SOundblaster-16 command line emulator so yes you can even play Monkey Island 1 with MIDI sound.

I have had zero trouble getting modern games to run. If they don't something is very odd - Win2k should work out most DOS problems itself.

But in no way is saying that Win2k doesn't run most games well correct; sorry for going at it here but it's not right at all.

I would be very surprised if there is even any real change in compatability between 2k and XP when it is released regarding old games or new games. Developers have to work towards the same multi-threaded environment compared to Win95/98/me and so for a game to run in XP I am willing to bet it will run in 2k. Early incompatabilities were resolved by driver patches more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

No same problem, I opened AutoExec.nt wiv notepad and added teh line as ya said but the same problem is happening, maybe another command is to go with that one???

REM
    REM *************************************************
    REM ** Lines below this have been migrated from the
    REM ** original Microsoft Windows ME settings.
    REM

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    SET PROMPT=$p$g
    SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    c:\winnt\system32\dosx.exe

Thats what in me Autoexec.nt, maybe I've done it wrong?

• Advertisement

I have a good few games which just refuse to run under 2k, Dungeon Keeper 2, for example. Another is Sim City 2000, but in this case it actually crashed the machine. I don't think this would happen with everyone, it's probably a hardware thing.

Anyway, Win2k doesn't support the latest version of directx (I could be wrong, however) so some games will be missing functions and things they need. *shrug*

As for doodee, I really dunno what is up then. I'd slap 98 on there and dual-boot, that is, if you care enough about games.

Looks grand to me doodee, I dunno really. Email the tech support for the game and see if there's a workaround or anything. I don't go in for games much, I play Half-Life, I play Dungeon Keeper, it pretty much ends there.

It aint just the Games Phaxx, this will happen when there is an auto run prog*** for drivers or really anything that involves being installed, I can skip it by exploring the cd and just installing but its still driving me mad, as for that Dirx8 prob, i think your right,
    I remember going to some convention up in Dublin (rts i think) and there was a Microsoft exhibition on win2k and I remember it saying about how it doesnt allow the deletion of files that r inportant to win2k, and thats whats the prob wiv Dirx8, it wont install certain files as an error appears (diff story), I'll just ait for more ppl to experience the same problem, thanks for your help

Every auto-run? From the error message, it's trying to run a 16-bit app, so I dunno, maybe it just has problems with all 16 bit apps. What I'd do if I were you is a clean install - I note from the file you pasted above that you upgraded from ME, maybe that's screwed something up. I have always used a clean install and I never have problems. (except with certain games)

Sorry I'm not more use. *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Were you logged on as administrator (or a member of the administrator group) when installing Max Payne/DirectX.

The latest win98 DX is 8.* isn't it? 8.* is available on Win2k as well.

- Munch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phaxx:

Most games don't run well under win2k, it's more of a business OS.
    </font>

im sorry?
    can you repeat that?

your Dungeon Is Full Of Yoghurt.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doodee:
    REM
    REM ** Lines below this have been migrated from the
    REM ** original Microsoft Windows ME settings.
    REM
    </font>

Blah, U see those two letters smile.gif M and E, theres you're problem.

Anyway heres my one, looks like it has the info you need
    @echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
    REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
    REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Erm no idea here really but...
    Since it is an upgrade to 2k, it looks like his OS is in C:\Windowsn not c:\winnt
    ..so would the line he adds then be
    c:\windows\system32\dosx.exe ?

Just a shot in the dark... don't do it without finding out for sure... tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just do a search for it, if you find it copy it to Windows(or Winnt)\System32. If you can't find it then extract it from the Win2k CD to the same folder. Then pop this line into your own Autoexec.nt(From my own, %systemroot% will be resolved into wherever you installed Win2k)

REM Install DPMI support
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

do you have the latest SP installed?

Also uprading to W2K isn't as good or healthy as clean installing W2K (Which you can do with your previous OS on the machine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

ahh..in windowsupdate there's a version of Dx8 for win2k...i just haven't bothered to get it

To shoot or not to shoot that is the question....Answer: Damn it all and point your p228 at his head and SHOOT!!!!.
    =DiE=[NeoSlicers]=

Advertisement