Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL

Options
  • 17-06-2002 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

The exam wasn't too difficult.. actually a lot easier than most of the sample papers
    Q1-4 SLH fusion of ice, principle of moments, frequency of stretched string and electrolysis
    i did all 4

from the long questions i did :

Q5 Short answer questions were easy enough except they put a question in which wasn't supposed to be on the new syllabus : (b) give the equation that defines temperature on the celcius scale

Q6 on circular + linear motion, nothing too difficult here
    Q9 on photoelectric effect and x rays - easy
    Q10 applied electricity - easy
    Q11 surprisingly easy, the applied question was on static electricity
    Q12 parts (a) and (c)

The exam wasn't as hard as i expected, but i'm not sure about the marking scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I really liked that paper! I think I did really well. I was able to do everything. That question you mentioned above bout the temp

was that L0 + L@ divided by L100 - L0? Wasn't too sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I didn't like a ton of it, was hoping for an A1, am thinking closer the a B1/A2 now.

Question 6 was a lot tougher than i thought it would be, i had to do Q8 instead. Also the Benjamin Franklin question looked terrible, avoided that one. The rest was alright, experiments seemed nice and easy, shorts were ok, x-ray question and the option was a peice of piss. I learned all those derivations for nothing though

That paper was harder than the government sample paper that was released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The benjamin franklin question was easy if you had static electricity revised :rolleyes: and a lot of it was common sense (e.g. why are raised golf clubs not recommended during thunderstorms)

I kinda new we wouldn't have to derive any equations because there was not 1 question like that in any of the sample papers, I just learned off the linear motion ones though. I thought that paper was a LOT easier than the dept. of education sample papers! FS did u see some of the circular motion questions on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Q6 on circular + linear motion, nothing too difficult here

I don't think you did the same question 6 as anyone else ....

Originally posted by Molly

I don't think you did the same question 6 as anyone else ....

What was so hard about it? It was just on hooke's law, simple harmonic motion and the pendulum?

• Advertisement

Compare my quote and what you just wrote, also there was nothing to do with a pendulum in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i agree the last part of Q6 was nasty...but i've been told since i made the question about 10x harder than it was....looked like summit from applied maths so i'd huge diag's everywhere...

other than that didn't get the celcius scale thing in Q5...deff not in my book

i did every question on the paper bar Q7......didn't have time for em all :)
    but anyway i thought it was alright.....wasn't hard as such..just awkard........still tho should have gotten what i want no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Weh, the celsius scale is on my (physics and chem. combined) course :). It came up today too, as did a lot of the other stuff mentioned, in the physics section.

I'll enlighten you all to the answer because I'm a bit bored and don't want to start my construction study (last exam, wh00t!). I hope this is right :).

Xt - X0
    X100 - X0 multiplied by 100 over 1 = Temperature.

X is the thermometric property of the thermometer e.g the height of a column of mercury.
    Xt is the thermometric property of the thermometer at the temperature being measured.
    X0 is the thermometric property of the thermometer at 0 degrees.
    X100 is the thermometric property of the thermometer at 100 degrees.

There was a question about working out the temperature when a column of mercury was so many cm high, and they gave you other heights, simple substituting into formula stuff, couple that with a question naming an alternative type of thermomemeter and the thermometric property it's based on and you have half a question out of the three from the physics section that I had to do :).

weh, well that certainly ain't in my book.
    ye know i don't think i got 56 in that question...and if ye asked me before i would have figured it the deff for the 56marks.....still tho i've another 6 i recon i got 56 in and then 4 expt.'s

Originally posted by Molly
    Compare my quote and what you just wrote, also there was nothing to do with a pendulum in there.
    There was a question asking you to name a body that obeys simple harmonic motion or something (a pendulum duh?).. and aswell in the last part of Q6, the formula for a pendulum is used for all simple harmonic motion (T=2 pi/angular velocity)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I was bloody delighted with the paper today!
    I'd done FA study but to me, twas all fairly straight forward...bar the end o Q6 and I made a hash o Q12 A..

First year o the new course so should be good marks:)

Originally posted by Repli

There was a question asking you to name a body that obeys simple harmonic motion or something (a pendulum duh?).. and aswell in the last part of Q6, the formula for a pendulum is used for all simple harmonic motion (T=2 pi/angular velocity)

General concensus for the period of a pendulum is t= 2(pi)(route(l/g))

My bad on the pendulum part.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

The paper was fine though Q6 was badly worded. Q11 shouldn't really have come up as it was replaced by Q12.

I did all the paper bar Q10b and Q12b in just under the time. My teacher felt the paper was fine.

BTBB

Chaos-Engine did you get yer 100% to get in the top of the country??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was told to avoid Q11 since a lot of it was waffle and had to be made up on the day. Easy to loose marks there

To tell the truth i was annoyed with myself more than anything. I was really hoping for an A1 and because i picked some stupid questions that made the difference between me not getting an A1. It was an easy enough paper but as someone said it was made out a little akwardly

Who knows, they might have an easy marking scheme and i might just scrape the A1, then again maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

To be honest I was worried going into the exam that I would do worse than last year. But they must be trying to get more ppl to take up the subject...

All the SECTION A questions were terribly easy...
    I did Q1, Q3, Q4

SECTION b:

Q5 - got most parts except the Celcius Q
    Q6 - Lovely SHM mets Hooke question. I even through in my knowledge of tidal movements(browny points as no teachers use it as an example) :)
    Q10 (a) - particle Physics... pretty sweet. Walton was garenteed being the only Irish scientist to ever with a Noble prize in Physics
    Q12 (a) and (d) - Answered "d" like teh chemistry Q on Ruthorford. easy Q
    Can't remember what I answered for the last question... Must have been something on Light and waves.

In all the Physics paper was too easy. I would expect them to mark it hard as the questions were very simplistic with no tricks except maybe Q6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Welllllllllll..........
    Practical qs 1-4 were all grand, I did 1,2,4
    Short qs were ok, mucked up 1 or 2 tho.
    Q6 was grand, peeps from applied maths would have had an advantage.
    Q8-thought at first I screwed up but then went back twas ok.
    Q10-grand. particle physics option is grand in general.
    Q11-woffly but ok. Common sense all the way.
    Q12(a),(d)-was delighted with this. (a) was the exact same as most of Q6 from our mock, (d) is all on chemistry too.
    So now to go learn chemistry.........

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

You're not the only one to mention tidal movements.

Q10a was giving the marks away.

11 marks for 7Li3 + 1H1 => 4He2 + 4He2 + Energy or did i miss something?

As for the SHM applied math is really a disadvantage as a=-w^2s is barely on the course. More complex fomula are employed. All I have to do now is remember them.

The marking will be interesting to see.

BTBB

Originally posted by Man U babe

Q6 was grand, peeps from applied maths would have had an advantage.
    i over complicated it completely...:rolleyes: had all me lovely extension diagrams and proving it travelled in SHM and every god damn thing...in the end it didn't cancel out but sure wha da hell :)
    11 marks for 7Li3 + 1H1 => 4He2 + 4He2 + Energy or did i miss something?
    yeah i think it was worth 12 not 11 ;) twas some easy question alrite...tho i predicted that all year...only one person in me school listened to me... "I did this electricity last year.....i'll be better at it" - one listened she got full marks for it.....nearly none of the others got full marks in part b..........first year with something like that it was never going to be hard - my fav topic anyhooo :) i was hoping the LEP or LHC came up.......could go on and on about cern...but o well :)

Advertisement