Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU planning to take over spectrum licensing...

Options
  • 17-06-2002 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The European Union may be planning to take over spectrum licensing from the individual European government agencies, according to a report from the European Commission published last week.

Full story here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gods, I hope that report was taken out of context. Liikanen is coming across as a bigger and bigger muppet with every release these days. Europe is on the brink of launching 3G services? Open your eyes and smell the coffee guys!

As to Europe taking over the spectrum, well, if it's just guidelines, how bad; but if it's actually /taking over/ the spectrum I think the answer has to be no, no and thrice no. The bureacracy is bad enough in the hands of the national regulators (especially with a55holes like McGreedy sticking his nose in and holding the whole thing up), can you imagine what it would be like with the Eurocrats in charge?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

This note summarises the agenda
    I presume Dermot Aherne will be going.
    http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=MEMO/02/141|0|RAPID&lg=EN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oops-a-daisy vinnyfitz. :)

Telecom Council, Luxembourg, 18 June 2002

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Wish I knew how to cut and paste proper ly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

left to their own devices, there are a multiplicity of little chunks of bandwidth being reserved by regulators for 3G

arguably this should be centrally decided otherwise it'll never happen.

1. Should all analogue phones be switched off (as happened last year to 088) in all of europe

2. Wassup with digital tv (not the sat stuff) and with analog tv bands that may then be switched off

time to standardise and drive it I think

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement