Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What GeForce 3????

• 17-06-2002 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK i have a 64mb GeForce 3 with TV out. I dont know what model it is though... im not to bothered about particulars i just want to know if its the cheapy MX version or of its the lovely TI version... personally i think its the top end one... seems to have amazing performence on my Athlon 650 which makes games run faster than on a P4 1.4gig with 64mb radeon.. (see post on GTA3). So is there a way of finding out... no looking ON the card is no good... basically i swopped it for my Radeon 32mb as the GeForce would not work in my m8s system.. just beeped... but its fine in mine and my radeon fine in his... (i got the better deal obviously!!). Anyway Sandra does not tell me what version. Are the drivers any indicator? like the NV version? Or is there a little ID utility out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe this may work

Start >> Run >> DXDIAG >> Display

That should tell you what you got, hopefully

But some Nv Heads may know an easier way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Is there a brand name/model number on the card?

Check ur BIOS screen while booting. Should be the first screen that appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Get a Bios editor from guru3d.com and read the manufacturers ID code direct.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Right i should point out im not a muppet... lol im a techie... bazH first thing i did! only says i have a gefore 3.. yeah nice one dxdiag... cant say much more for sandra... Both of them basically take it from the drivers anyway and since detonator drivers dont care if its an MX or TI it will be the same driver used... Thats where i got the NV version though... like the old Nvidia Riva 128 was an NV3T etc..

Koneko.. sorry bios screen would be handy but system too fast during post to display it... And no stickers i could see on the card... may be a serial... sure there is printed on the PCB board... any idea where i could compare it? Koneko you have one actually.. or was that the GeForce 4?... hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

there's no MX GF3
    GF3 came out first.
    Then Ti 200 and Ti 500 (both exactly the same chipsets, just that the 200 is clocked lower then the 500 and has slightly slower ram in general - latency wise). They used smaller die processes (.13 micron afaik<?>).
    An Ti200 can be o/cd up to Ti500 specs easily enough with good cooling.
    Most will make it to vanilla GF3 (the origional) speeds with stock cooling.
    When the System boots and you get that PCI table with all the devices enumerated, look for the number beside the graphics card.
    That is the manufacturer's number witht he model in it afaik.
    Or you could look at the card itself, write down wver serial and part numebr you can find and google for info.

How long have you had it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Beat me to it SyxPak. As you correctly point out there never has been a Geforce 3 MX.

They go in this order: (lowest to highest)

Geforce3 Ti200
    Geforce3 original
    Geforce3 Ti500

Even the Ti200 is a flier and will spank all the GF2's and also the GF4MX chips. By quite some distance I might add.

Cool, that i did not know! So there is no real low end Geforce 3 then so no matter what i have it should be better than say a Geforce 4 MX then? Anyway im not sure how old the card is.. i would say at the very least its over 6 months old, probably more...

Ill take a look when i can bothered for the serial number... i was just looking for a little utility like cpuID ah well...

Whatever version it is its excellent!

Slow monitor then. Matt's suggestion's the same basically, but more complicated. I think we all know there's no GF3 MX though.

I have a Radeon 8500 ATM, getting a GF4. Had a GF3 before that. Check if there's a model number. They're short. Like letter bunch of numbers, or letter letter bunch of numbers. Checkin the BIOS is still a better one though.

If you can find a number, google it, or post it here. I'd say it's an original GF3 though. What speeds is it clocked at? Check that in say riva tuner or power strip. Assuming the card isn't overclocked you can see which one it is judging on speeds, though that isn't the best way of course.

Check for a FCC number and punch that into google, it should throw up some help.

I cant remember what was FCC numbers work, but its like first 8 numbers asssigned to the manufacturer(nVidia) and next 8 assigned by the manufacturer(which should give us the model)

Hope any of this helps.

Was thinking of getting myself a ti200, it is a nice spec for the price.

Nice one thanks.. all i can say is not bad for a swap for an ATI Radeon 32mb SDR

btw why did you change your name to bazH?

• Advertisement

Advertising in the username, had this name space for ages(well a month). If you have a ti200 can you pull up any becnhies for me. I`d really appreciate it.

From what I remember a Ti200 scored about 40% higher on 3DMark2k1 on my old Athlon Tbird 1.33 than a GF4 MX440.

7000+ against around the 5000 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Gah... do any of your games use pixel shaders?

Only one so far, Morrowind... it has the most amazing water effects i have ever seen!! Truly beautiful and absolutly real looking! I sometimes stop on the coast or a river and just look at it for a few mins.. great at dusk or if there is a sunset or something in the game...

I think one of my games, commanche 4 uses pixel shaders for it's water effects as well. Also very nice. Shame bout the game's crappy delta force 3 engine for the land effects, how generic can you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's less generic than the Quake III Engine

Slightly off topic.. i cant stand quake 3.. the game... the engine itself is ok but very out dated and was never all that great... Just got SOF2 here and very unimpressed with the engine.. not sure about gameplay as i just installed it...

Well thats true, but I think that particular engine (DF3) has had it's day in the sun, the. Those bland landscapes with low res textures don't cut it anymore and the state of the art water effects just divert your attention from it. The overall effect is still quite good, but even project IGI's engine, based on a similar concept is far superior. That said the new screenshots for Delta Force : Black Hawk Down look pretty good, close enough to the film on the face of it.

Do you know of any other games using Pixel shaders right now ? I'm on the look out for Morrowind, would like to stretch my GF4 Ti4600 though.

Heres a question:

Whats the best graphics on any PC game out there ? What game would you load up to show off your graphics card.

Wolfenstein must be well up there, I do like Giants as well, graphically at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Chameleon demo or 3DMark 2001's Lobby demo or JK2 with the saber scenes.
    And i saw pics of DoomIII and that will just take the #1 spot.
    Another good one is the nVidia screensaver with the bendy logo is the best screensaver out there imho.

Ah yes, a lot of the 3DMark demo's look great. I'd like to know though, what games people pull out to show off their machines.

Talking of engines, the Serious Sam engine is just amazing. The way it can perform on lower end machines leaves me speechless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah SS is good especially the particle system.
    The bendy logo is great though

Morrowind has the best graphics i have ever seen... sure there are flaws.. but in terms of design and absolute beauty it wins flat out.. i admire the architecture in the various buildings in towns... especially Telvani which are in natural forming giant plants etc...

Doom III will definitely be the chocolate fudge cake of games. Scumptious.

My faves atm (graphically) are AVP2 (just can't stop playing!), JKII (saber scenes, and some of the maps are super), Wolfenstein (d'uh), MOH (d'uh again), and oldie but goodie Max Payne. Gotta love the expression on his face.

The Wolfman demo is pretty sweet (Nvidia). Also just saw some of Spider-man (on the PC) the other day. Looks very very sweet (graphically). Especially the video sequences, very nice. Morrowind, be careful. I've seen it run like a dawg on most systems, but it does look pretty good when it isn't choking :)

SOF2 has some nice "dying" sequences (ie limbs falling off et all), but the engine is really dated, you can tell. Time for a better damn engine.

I have pretty much all of those games and have to agree. I think Wolfenstein beats MOHAA for graphics, but loses for gameplay.

AVP2, is one I keep meaning to get, I think I saw it down in Cybermart recently. Played and loved the demo, graphically although nice, I don't think it or the lithtech engine in general excel.

Morrowind should be no problems at all for my machine. If only I could get my hands on a copy. May have to nip up to Dublin for it.

Oh no, AVP2 isn't the most stunning graphically, but in general, the look and feel of it is really really nice. Especially if you're into the Alien/Predator films in general, it is a very nice game to look at, and even more to play it :)

Will see if I can get to play Spider-man myself and check out what it's like some more.

Know what you mean, even playing the demo in a darkened room, my brother jumped out of the seat when the first aliens came bursting through the ceiling.

Advertisement