Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me kill off my upgrade problems

• 14-08-2001 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, the work has gone well.I have my mobo installed and
    all my pci devices and as far as I can see its all working fine.Just
    a few questions.Its a Duron 800 which was apparently running solid at
    1000 and so thats what I intend to run it at, but following a few hiccups at set up, I'm
    not sure if it is, in fact I don't think it is smile.gif.

My bios says:

CPU Operating Speed - 800 (100)

X- Multiply Factor- x8

x- CPU FSB/PCI Clock- 100/33 mhz

x- CPU FSB Plus (mhz)- 0

x- Speed Error Hold - Disabled

CPU Power Supply- CPU Default

x Core Voltage - 1.600 V

xI/O Voltage - 3.40 V

Fast CPU Command Decode-Normal

CPU Drive strength- 2

Enhance Chip perform - Disabled

Force 4 way interleave- Disabled

Enable Dram 4K Page mode - Disabled

DRAM Clock - Host CLK

Ok they are the settings, any advice on what needs to be
    altered would be appreciated.I only have 128 MB pc133 RAM at the moment, will
    this effect the overclock? Should I grab another 128? When I go to Control
    Panel > System it doesn't give any info about my processor
    except 'AMD Duron'

The second problem is this: I still haven't effectively hooked my power
    switch to the mobo smile.gif

I'm using Rentons method, touching a screwdriver off the 2
    power pins(I'm not even exactly sure which pins they are smile.gif) to boot the pc.
    Will i pull the head and peel back the rubber on the connector and wrap them
    around the pins as Verb did?! If so does it matter what part gets wrapped around the power -on pins?! I don't mind not having LED's or activity lights.

I currently have to leave the case side off because of this, and its annoying having
    to poke your pc with a screwdriver to boot it up hehe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

To get 1000 ish Mhz you need to up the multiplier to 10 (10x100=1000). if the chip is multiplier locked you can up the fsb clock to 133/33 (8*133=1064) but this may be too high. If so add (in small increments) to the fsb plus ie. 8x(100+25)=1000.

You will almost definitly need to up the core voltage to make it stable at the high speeds, experiment (but prob. not to much higher than 1.85). usually leave the IO alone unless some cards dont like fsbs higher than 100.

Your ram is fine, and its purely a performance choice rather than a must to get more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If the chip is unlocked, you could try running at 7.5 * 133. The rest of the settings are fine, when you have the chip overclocked we can then worry about tweaking the ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Some toys for you
    Clock speed, Mhz etc. info:
    http://www.h-oda.com/

Temperature sensor stuff:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Both are brimfull of nerdy goodlyness!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Just to answer your query about the power button...

It's entirely possible to do what you suggested; and it can be done to the LEDs also.

Just be careful that the wires only touch the pins they're supposed to, and are not touching off the motherboard and it'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

K lads, thanks for replies.

Nothing is locked on this, its wide open smile.gif

Its not quite stable at 900 even.I haven't used the multiplier x FSB method to get it to 900, I just changed it from the very fisrt option, CPU operating speed.It seemed to be ok, but then went dodgy and my fps went to crap halfway thru a CS map, then settled down again.

I tried 7.5 x 133, Gerry, and it wasn't stable either.Crashed during a benchmark, and I have had a few lock ups aswell.

Suggestions? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Ok, bad news!

I clocked it back to normal, ie 800 and it seemed fine.

Played some CS (seems to take quite a while to connect to server, is this my ISP or could it be related?!) and al lwent fairly well, no fps problems.Then I quit, and did some browsing.When I went back to play more CS it was terrible.My fps was shooting from 98 down to single figures, al lin all not much use. Possible reasons?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If it's just performance you want, you could try reconfiguring that bios a little bit wink.gif

turn on 4 way memory interleaving, it's usually always faster.

Speed Error Hold- no idea, try turn them on one at a time and benchmark/just run cs and see how it goes.

You could try dram hclock +33 my ram runs fine with no additional heat after the oc smile.gif

Dram 4k page hold - no idea

Enhance Chip Perform - I would enable wink.gif

Try upping your cpu drive strength/lowering it in conjunction with other options.

Fast cpu command decode - I assume you can set this to fast/faster/strong/strongest/weak.

I would definitely up the core and i/o voltages just a pinch to achieve stability with the oc and possibly up the fsb to 133.

If this is a via chipset then check out www.viahardware.com and I'm sure you'll find something to dramatically increase the speed of your new toy wink.gif

Gl!

[This message has been edited by tactical anni (edited 16-08-2001).]

Advertisement