Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Nuke

Options
  • 17-06-2002 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

I just downloaded php nuke, but before i get engrossed I was wondering

Has anyone used it/whats it like
    Is it fast
    Are there better systems

Basically anything on topic at all

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

Phpnuke is very good, although many may dispute this, its one of the best Open Source CMS systems, It has a big support community and its very easy to understand. (my own site is using phpnuke+ win2k) .

There are others that are similiar , like Xoops, and PostNuke and almost all use mySQL .

It is designed to work on linux with apache and php and certain functions won't work on a Win2k based system ( like the function crypt() in php) and you will definitely have problems settin it up with IIS and MS SQL.

But a 2k install is not impossible.

As for speed its very fast , at least I think so anyway.

Well worth the effort .. you might want to check out nukeforums.org first and do a bit of reading..

Dont forget that there is a simple CGI based system called previously called NewsPro now called Corranto. It used text files as the database .. its not as slick as Phpnuke but it is far far easier.

If you have anymore questions I would be glad to help..

b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

May go for it i`m trying to get my head around it on a test server. For the time being i`ve changed my site around as there is some new content coming. Anyone any thoughts on the design. I know some stuff ain`t working and some pages are blank but hey.

Cheers
    Once i get a good look at nuke i`ll ask you some questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Ok don't argue with me here but its a lot better if you go and learn php/mysql and build your own scripts. Its fun and very educational :) and you have total control and understand whats going on in your script. But i guess not everyone is like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    Ok don't argue with me here but its a lot better if you go and learn php/mysql and build your own scripts. Its fun and very educational :) and you have total control and understand whats going on in your script. But i guess not everyone is like me :)

I'm like you I suppose. Just purchased myself a nice book on mysql & PHP from easons. I have the intention of 'bettering myself' over the summer by learning both of them and shying away somewhat from my old friend ASP. As the man says, pre-made scripts are all well and good but its nice to know how to edit something if you have to :D

<?php

$var1 = "Good " ;
    $var2 = "Luck";
    $var3 = "To " ;
    $var4 = "You :)" ;

echo ( "$var1$var2$var3$var4") ;

?>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

PhpNuke is good, but there have been a number of problems in the past as it is not as open-source as it might pretend to be.
    You might be better off going with postnuke, as it IS completely open source and much more standards compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    <?php

$var1 = 'Good ' ;
    $var2 = 'Luck ';
    $var3 = 'To ' ;
    $var4 = 'You :)' ;

echo ( "$var1$var2$var3$var4") ;

?>

Just a couple of tweaks to make it run quicker. ;)

I like to make it look complecated lol.
    <?php echo ("Good luck to you :)"); ?>

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Has phpNuke gotten over its security issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

You can find a fix for the PHPNuke phpbb2 XSS Exploit here

http://www.phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4136

And if you want to download the all files necessary for PHPNuke to run on Win2k head here

http://www.phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4138

Comes in one neat package too.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I installed nuke on about three different unix servers and kept getting that admin login error loop. Scores of people were having the same problem w/5.5 and nobody had an exact solution.

it was a nightmare :mad:

Originally posted by G
    I installed nuke on about three different unix servers and kept getting that admin login error loop. Scores of people were having the same problem w/5.5 and nobody had an exact solution.

it was a nightmare :mad:

Exactly why big premade scripts are not a good idea. With phpnuke you could be going around in circles trying to find the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pabcas

phpNuke is good, but it's very ... limited ... it's a lot of work to change the design, and if you want your site to look anything different from all the other nuke sites out there, some severe headaches await.

the phpBB team have authorised a portal, which looks set to be one of the most impressive around :: it'll take a while before anything is released, but the code for phpBB2 is easily hackible / modifyable to your own uses, to use as the basis of a website...

check out www.phpbb.com

I've used the phpbb2 code to run sites ::
    www.treasureisland.ie / www.blast.ie ...

real powerful stuff - user authorisation / login / database abstraction ...

Advertisement