Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolimits Problem

Options
  • 17-06-2002 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I had a problem with my hard disk and had to format and reinstall everything. Anyway when I dial up to nolimits now it brings up the usual click here to see if your account is ready. All you nolimits users will have seen it the first time you logged on. Anyway after I click on it it tells me to contact IOL Technical support. I don't want to ring them! God knows what will happen, I might get disconnected:(

Does anyone have the file that you download the first time you connect? The one that configures your computer? Thanks

shuggard@dol.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I agree with daveirl, don't use their dial up software, ie. this piece of crap
    no_limits.jpg

When I signed up to the service over two years ago, I often wondered what the all the software that I was downloading was about. AFAI Concerned I only need to tell the OS what to dial, and what info to pass on to that dial up server. I don't want any other non-OS based software dealing in that kind of thing.

Also I wouldn't be bothered ringing support, but I am pretty sure they wouldn't disconnect you just because you have a problem. Remember you are paying them for a service. As long as your not "overusing" (let not get in to that again) the service, I would complain/query away, without hesitation.

But anyway, I bet your problem is solved by now, because what daveirl suggested, would work. Once you get online, you can omit the 142, from the number, because that's just to make sure your CLI information is passed on correctly.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

From my understanding of putting 142 before the number you are dialing, it somehow disguises the number on the other end so that the person/place/network you are dialing does not know the source of the number. Am I right, or am I completely off the bat here ?

Cos if that were the case, how would nolimits work since your number is set up on their end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AFAIK (and I could be well-wrong), putting 142 before the number makes sure your number is reported at the other end. Putting 141 before the number blocks yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Putting 142 in front of a number turns on your CLI(Caller line idenity)
    putting #31* in front of a number turns your CLI off(private number)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Does that work on all networks, mobiles included?

Is it international?

So, an ex-directory number would always have it's CLI turned off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

yup

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

if I try to input the nolimits data into a dial-up connection, what will happen? Will I have to be registered already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If your phone number isn't on their list then you will be charged.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

if you dial that numbder and ur not signed up - you wont get a connection. all u get is an enguaged tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

damn!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

i was kicked off the service along with the other 2000 or so users but when i dial that number i can connect could i still be on the service?

Doubtful. You'll probably still be able to dial in but you'll be charged for the call at local rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull
    i was kicked off the service along with the other 2000 or so users but when i dial that number i can connect could i still be on the service?
    I vote you use it for a bit and see what appears on your phone bill. AFAIK the No Limits service is tied to your phone number and it should block out those who are not subscribed. From my office phone I get an engaged tone right after 13321.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Thanks for all the help. I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull

I've heard of a few people (mostly friends of friends) who can still connect after being cut off (or can still connect after disconnecting the service over two years ago) and don't get charged a bean.

On a moral level I can't personally allow my telling you to "use the service as you won't get charged for it" but if you can still connect you're one of those lucky ones that managed to slip through. And I know what I'd do in your situation.

Advertisement