Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Philip Nolan's response to Dempsey re net value

Options
  • 17-06-2002 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Asked Noel Dempsey's office at start of election re Friaco. Got this today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Eircom's telephone pricing may be rather low, but we're talking about internet usage here, not phone calls.

Whilst (most of) the rest of Europe is on flat rate DIAL-UP, we're pi*sing into the wind, with Eircom stitching up the politicians nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Eircom are really pi$$ing me off with all this bull$hit they continue to spout and try to cod everyone with.

Before ADSL, anytime anyone complained about Eircom not providing a broadband service they said, "Oh but we do. What about Hi-Speed?" However, this was just ISDN given a new name by Eircom in the hope that nobody would cop on to the fact that all it was was ISDN, not proper broadband.

Now when people bring up the fact there is no flat-rate service they say, "Yes there is. I-Stream is a flat-rate service." But there are two things clearly wrong with this statement: firstly it is not a flat-rate dial-up service, which is what we are talking about and secondly I-Stream is not flat-rate because if you go over the cap you have to pay extra on top of the "flat-rate" fee. Therefore, you are still shelling out more than just the initial monthly payment.

Eircom still continue to try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes and now it looks like they're trying to do it to the politicians as well. Somebody needs to get in there and tell the politicians that Eircom are bull$hitting them, bull$hitting the public and generally acting the b0llocks at this stage.

David Long mentioned before that he was trying to get a meeting with Philip Nolan. Any sign of that happening anytime soon because someone needs to go in there and tell him to stop acting the b0llocks and give us flat-rate dial-up and flat-rate broadband (i.e. no caps) and to do it now.

Ireland's internet users are fed up being laughed at by other countries because of the lack of flat-rate and uncapped, reasonably priced broadband. We are a laughing stock and we are a laughing stock because of Eircom and I'm fed up to the back teeth of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i got an almost identical response from Bertie Aherns office from eircom. Didn't even bothering reading it all tbh, it was a pile of bolloxs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll have a go off a response to this. I'm going to have a look for Vampyre's original letter on this issue, and I'll probably find it, but in the meantime I would appreciate it if someone would post a link here for context. Vampyre, well done for keeping the pressure on. Let's see if we can help you help Mr. Dempsey along a little more towards seeing through Dr. Nolan's nauseating display of misdirection.

Dr. Nolan, if this note happens to cross your desk: You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to pull the wool over the eyes of a public servant and one of your customers in this manner. I will be asking Vampyre for her permission to allow IrelandOffline bring this letter to the Brussels hearing on Local Loop Unbundling, as evidence of you and your company's shameless attempts to paint Ireland as competitive in the Internet marketplace. The majority of Irish people may be fooled by this, but I very much doubt that the likes of Erkii Liikanen and Mario Monti will be quite so naive.

I'm glad it will be David Long and not me that has to meet with you, I couldn't look you in the eye after this. It's reprehensible. Have you no shame at all?

adam

Speaking of keeping the pressure on dahamsta ... I never heard anything back from Tom Kitts office since their initial meeting proposal ... must ring them and make them squirm .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Since when has he pulled this card?
    I have not spotted it in any of his profile/promo pieces since he took over as CEO.
    Does anyone know what his doctorate is in?
    Perhaps it comes to the fore due to hanging around with Sir Doctor AJF O'R?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I'm in shock.

Anybody recall the excitement just around the time of the Comms Bill, when we all sent hundreds of emails to the politicians?

Is it worthwhile doing something similar to educate them again, and to hammer home our thoughts, while at the same time rebuking the standard eircom response.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Eircom are really pi$$ing me off with all this bull$hit they continue to spout and try to cod everyone with.

Before ADSL, anytime anyone complained about Eircom not providing a broadband service they said, "Oh but we do. What about Hi-Speed?" However, this was just ISDN given a new name by Eircom in the hope that nobody would cop on to the fact that all it was was ISDN, not proper broadband.

Now when people bring up the fact there is no flat-rate service they say, "Yes there is. I-Stream is a flat-rate service." But there are two things clearly wrong with this statement: firstly it is not a flat-rate dial-up service, which is what we are talking about and secondly I-Stream is not flat-rate because if you go over the cap you have to pay extra on top of the "flat-rate" fee. Therefore, you are still shelling out more than just the initial monthly payment.

Eircom still continue to try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes and now it looks like they're trying to do it to the politicians as well. Somebody needs to get in there and tell the politicians that Eircom are bull$hitting them, bull$hitting the public and generally acting the b0llocks at this stage.

David Long mentioned before that he was trying to get a meeting with Philip Nolan. Any sign of that happening anytime soon because someone needs to go in there and tell him to stop acting the b0llocks and give us flat-rate dial-up and flat-rate broadband (i.e. no caps) and to do it now.

Ireland's internet users are fed up being laughed at by other countries because of the lack of flat-rate and uncapped, reasonably priced broadband. We are a laughing stock and we are a laughing stock because of Eircom and I'm fed up to the back teeth of it.

Dude, you rock!!!
    Send that to Phillip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

i Didnt read it all... i got to the 1st paragraph where it promots "flat rate istream!?" BOLLOX!!!!
    ITS NOT! FLAT RATE!! (Leap.ie is flat rate)
    the rest is just pure waffle!? (give the man a dummy to keep him quite as he obviously has`nt a clue)

and that all i have to say to that reply from him.. anything else is just waisted on such dribble. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Arboration
    Dude, you rock!!!
    Send that to Phillip.

Would it make any difference? Somehow I don't think so because Eircom just don't give a $hit anymore what we say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Ok, I've just read through the reply from Philip Nolan.
    However, it's current pricing makes it more appropriate to the top end of the residential market and to small business, but planned developments will include a more limited product better suited to the residential market. Eircom are committed to developing the internet market in Ireland for all their customers...

Isn't there a blatant contradiction between Eircom's committment to developing the Internet market in Ireland for ALL it's customers and their admission of a proposed more limited product better suited to the residential market???????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but (acccording to Eircom) didn't the ADSL trials show that a 3GB cap was sufficient? Their current offering has a 3GB limit at it's "cheapest" rate. How on earth can you have a "more limited product" and yet have it sufficient if 3GB was shown to be sufficient?

I'd love to know what they mean by "more limited"!!!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As Adam has said previously, we will be talking to Noel Dempsey about his response, this is the kind of misinformation that we must take ever opportunity to counter. I think its fair to say that Mr Dempsey has made little attempt to understand the response, instead he takes it as a given and has just forwarded it on.

Unfortunately its the case that responses such as Eircom's to Noel Dempsey just go over the heads of many people, however as Adam has also said misinformation such as this will be useful in the facts we will be bringing with us to Brussels to highlight the actions of our incumbant operator, as it continues to operate in a market free from monopolistic practices!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The signiture was a print. Dempsey probably never saw or heard any of it he has his own army of minions. But as it carries his name I agree he should face the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Delphi91
    I'd love to know what they mean by "more limited"!!!

you just beat me to it, I was wondering the exact same thing. Surely they cannot be thinking of bringing in a 1GB cap ???? F*ck, that'll take the biscuit

Originally posted by vampyre
    The signiture was a print. Dempsey probably never saw or heard any of it he has his own army of minions. But as it carries his name I agree he should face the music.

Actually I retract the above statement, the sig is real. I thought it was a stamp but it seems Noel Dempsey did sign it and Dr. Nolan signed his. Sorry for mistake but I am a believer that accuracy strenghtens an argument.

And exactly how limited can a service be or are Eircom trying to break new ground in minmalism at maximum cost here? And Mr Dempsey it is likely to be 2006 or maybe never before I get broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Does anyone know what his doctorate is in?

I *think* its in Geology as that was his background. There is some general info on him here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

afaik i-stream solo was originaly going to have a 1 gb cap so i wouldnt be suprised if this limited product that they mention will have 1 gb cap

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

My guess is that they would also cut the speed from 512 downstream to 256 or even 128.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Maybe even 56k !

Wooo, 56k DSL with a monthly bandwidth restriction too. That were luxury. In my day ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Páid
    My guess is that they would also cut the speed from 512 downstream to 256 or even 128.

yeah, maybe something like NTL's broadband intro package.. only with a stupid cap and with a higher price tag

• Advertisement

Ando, what does NTL's "intro" package consist of? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Lemming
    Ando, what does NTL's "intro" package consist of? :-/

I believe it's a 128kbps service for €25 per month.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Can we point this out to Dr. Philip Nolan?
    Eircom say it's possable to offer flatrate 24/7 unlmitied 1mps dsl for 200e a month, yeah? If that's possable why not flatrate 24/7 unlimited 56k dial-up for 20e a month. A connection that is about 20times slower for a 10th the price?
    Oh but of course, then they'd lose all that lovely money they're milking of us right now. How stupid of me.
    *grumble* stupid Eircom *grumble*

It strikes me that Dr. Nolan has no respect for customers or anything that may be intepreted as responsibility to the nation (why could Mammy O'Rourke not have put a social responsibilty clause in and everything would be peachy). He is accutely aware that he holds all the winning cards and we lose. But smugness breeds complacency and then the mistakes get made. And we will be waiting for every mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dithean

While readin this I sit and thoughts cross my mind on how we the people can get waht we need and deserve. These prices and high cost to just be online be it dial up/isdn/dsl are outrageuos!

Now I dont know who the people we take an argument too.
    But it looks like from what i have read that some of you do.

What Might work Is a petition.
    Stating what is wrong and what needs to be done about it.
    signed by people online with thier names address', phone #s!
    As well it could be printed off and People could take it and get it signed where ever they live.

Then when we have enough sigs we get them all together and cram it into whoevers face.

It is a uphill battle and doing something big enough to make change will take alot of work and alot of cooperation from all involved. But I would not ever underestimate something like this.

It is an idea but I am willing to pich in and do what I can to help make change once and for all.

If the politicians and eircom and lie to the public then we need to tell the public the truth in public :)
    Through all means available to us.

Just a thought/s sick and tired of being sick and tired, Might as well pick a fight and go kick some @#$

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I have no doubt whatsoever that if Eircom in the future introduces a lower priced ADSL that they will indeed lower the cap. In this way they can respond to criticism about having no affordable broadband in Ireland while still maintaing profits on the serice since most, if not all, will go over the 1gb limit. Its just devious and underhanded enough for them to do and it would not surprise me in the least.

Advertisement