Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article

• 18-06-2002 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭

From this months sea angler magazine-scanned.
    Looking at his line-he's casting too far out-over all the codling...
    :(
    and OIHH! you're at my favourite spot!!
    wexfish1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭jd

wexfish2a.jpg

wexfish3a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 obiwan

How's it going jd?
    You seem like the right person to ask when it comes to fising questions!
    And here is one for you, I have been a what you might call summer fisher, and would like to get your opinion on what you would think best as to what to use when fishing for bass. It has long been a dream of mine (well since I was a kid) to catch one on kilmuckridge strand, which is where I saw my first bass being caught (though not by me). Would you say rag? or maybe something else. And if you could any other tips that might just help me!!
    thanks,
    obiwan.

Try one up, one down with rag and peeler crab..(it's a basic rig)
    rig_1u1d.gif

Don't worry too much about the bait clips etc-thats really for distance casting and bass can be close in..

Try rag top, peeler bottom.
    If you have 2 rods tryspinning with the other..I find flying c's and kilthy catchers good for bass.
    Daves tackle is open 9am to 9pm 7 days a week on the road down 2 the wildfowl reserve (before you come 2 wexford from kilmuckridge)

Thanks JD, I'll give that a try.
    have not been out this year yet, but I can hear it calling me........

• Advertisement

Originally posted by obiwan
    Thanks JD, I'll give that a try.
    have not been out this year yet, but I can hear it calling me........

so -did you go out yet obi..
    I went for a drive around Blackwater-plenty of small beaches there to try too..

How goes it Jd?
    I did manage to get out, but not as far as Wexford, greystones was about as far as I got, but not a whole lot doing there. There were a few bites, but that was about it. I think it might have been worth my while to go the distance to wexford!! Maybe next time I will. Think I will have to invest in a bigger rod aswell, the one I have aswell is only about 12 feet, suppose I would want to be going another 2 feet or more, just to get the distance! What about yourself? Have you been out at all lately?

E.

Originally posted by obiwan
    How goes it Jd?
    I did manage to get out, but not as far as Wexford, greystones was about as far as I got, but not a whole lot doing there. There were a few bites, but that was about it. I think it might have been worth my while to go the distance to wexford!! Maybe next time I will. Think I will have to invest in a bigger rod aswell, the one I have aswell is only about 12 feet, suppose I would want to be going another 2 feet or more, just to get the distance! What about yourself? Have you been out at all lately?

I was down in Wexford last weekend, but gf was down and it was kinda family weekend with the folks so no fishing done...
    Went for a drive-she copped on it wasn't just for her benefit, that I was checking out potential fishing spots :)
    12 foot rod-what kind of rod is it...
    12 ft beachcasters can whack it out a good distance anyway...(just bought 1, shakespear president, so I hope so..)

I also notice people fishing Wexford Bridge, which usually means the bass have started running the harbour.
    Last fish I caught was a doggie in Rosslare..

Hi Obi etc
    I went fishing lastr night on the far end of the quay extension in Wexford and caught 2 cod. I had 2 rods, a spinning rod for a gentle lob of 10-15 metres. and I was trying out a new rod reel (Shakespear President beachcaster matched with a Tica pisces 200-
    does anybody know anything about this reel?)

TPC200.JPG

Both cod were caught close in on the spiining rod-while I made an ass of myself casting the other gear-still getting use to the reel)

Bass were caught during the last week from the new bridge-see phtos above. From talking to the locals the bass were caught from around 2 hrs before full to abt 2/3 hours after.

Advertisement