Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost your Microsoft CD Key? Find it here

• 16-08-2001 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Gah. You do know you have just posted warez.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Not strictly Warez as theres no actual software, but its still illegal. Amazed that he as put up his resume with all his contact details.

Dear BSA,
    Here is my address so you can bust me. ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Oh dear God Nooooo.
    /runs away and ducks for cover wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I disagree, and am disappointed in being awarded negative karma. Is there software to be downloaded from this site? No there is not. As the author states
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    My reading of the law is that there is nothing illegal contained in it (as CD keys are neither copyrighted nor trademarked)
    </font>

I personally have had the experience of working for a company that has lost CD's containing the necessary key. Again it makes reference to this in the site:
    So this web site is to help out people who have legitimately bought/received a Microsoft CD (non-OEM variety), but have lost their CD case with the key.
    </font>

I don't see how this is this different to someone exposing a vunerability on bugtraq.
    I am not condoning people to use these keys on illegal software. That is up to them to wrestle with there conscience.
    To use an analogy, If I find a set of house keys and put up a sign saying "Set of house keys found", It is up to an illegitimate person to [1] find the house that they work on (no crime yet) and [2] Use them (now they are breaking the law). Then again if the person who lost them sees the sign, they come in, pick them up, and say thank you very much.

Once again I object to being given negative karma. If this is inappropriate material for the boards I would of quite happily removed it if contacted (hence my disclosure of contact information) I am an active member of boards and believe I my conduct is of a responsible manner and I know that there are many members who would attest to that. If you disagree with anything I have said here I would appreciate your comments and Hobbes, I really would appreciate a response to my defence. In the mean time I will remove the link.

[This message has been edited by Loomer (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

I also disagree with the awarding of negative karma,

But if it really made ye feel better Hobbes,

Well Then Thats OKAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

A serial number is directly linked to the license to use a program so it is warez.

• Advertisement

Thank You. I will know better in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

This is loopy. Microsoft have implemented a form of copy-prevention which does nothing but irritate and inconvenience users. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bypassing it. I paid for my copies of Windows, but I'll be damned if I'm going to look for the serial number every time I install.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Hey loomer.
    If you could mail me the link 'twould be appreciated.

Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

I don't agree. So if I buy a legit copy of windows and then LOSE the key according to microsh!t I have to go out and buy a new copy of Windows.

I worked in one of the biggest companies in the world and we used to use sites like that all the time. (and wwman can back me up on that)

There goes my hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stu_69:
    I don't agree. So if I buy a legit copy of windows and then LOSE the key according to microsh!t I have to go out and buy a new copy of Windows.

I worked in one of the biggest companies in the world and we used to use sites like that all the time. (and wwman can back me up on that)
    </font>

Strange you needed to use those kinda sites, the company I used to work for (err, its a PC manufacturer in Limerick (and Bray), go figure) used to have one in-house OEM key for each M$ OS. We just wrote them down (I remember the 95 and NT keys off, but they made the 98 keys impossible to remember!!).

btw it was warez, and it's not evil to post it, just bloody stupid. Those keys are everywhere on the web, I did a search on XP one time and the first thing that came up was a list of valid keys. That was 9 months ago! smile.gif

Al.

• Advertisement

Another thing about the biggest company in the world. Odds on your license would of been tied to your PC.

So when purchasing order your PC it is automatically tied into it. So they would of based your rights to own the software on that.

Also most machines nowdays come with the OEM Windows key stuck onto them.

Lastly, ever been in a software audit? Big companies have them. They aren't nice. They are even less friendly when they see your license as all 1's and want to see the actual paper proof that you own the rights to the software. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

ye do know that all threes usually work for a serial no. don't ye 4 'microsoft' stuff

To shoot or not to shoot that is the question....Answer: Damn it all and point your p228 at his head and SHOOT!!!!.
    =DiE=[NeoSlicers]=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Loomer:
    I am not condoning people to use these keys on illegal software.</font>

That's a bit like uploading warez and saying 'don't download this, it's illegal'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Another thing about the biggest company in the world. Odds on your license would of been tied to your PC.
    </font>

Naah. None of Microsofts licenses are tied into individual PCs. They just stick the key onto the PC to make you think that it is. Microsoft = Slime.

That's a bit like uploading warez and saying 'don't download this, it's illegal'
    </font>

Its not like that. There really is no legitimate use for warez. There is a perfectly legitimate use for unlock keys to Microsoft software. Just because they try to make us (legitimate users) jump through hoops, it doesn't make it right, or that we shouldn't bypass their attempts.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

microsoft have generic cd keys for all of there software, 1 I end up using 1112-111111111111111 (as many ones as you need)

or for codes with 3 digits in first section it's 112-111111111111.

there are a few more that work for various os's but this is one I always use myself. Only when the cd-key has been removed or replaced rolleyes.gif

Naah. None of Microsofts licenses are tied into individual PCs.

Your wrong.

Please tell me where I can buy a PC without having windows preinstalled. Please note that building the machine yourself doesn't count.

You pay for Windows even if you don't want it on the machine. I had the same problem trying to find a laptop with Linux on it.

Or in work for example. We had to buy licenses for all the language versions of different flavours of windows for development (MSDN). Despite having those licenses we still have to buy a license for the operating system on a new machine if we purchase it. Trying to explain you have already licenses gets blank looks (or more along the lines of Coffee/Beer conversation of marge in the Simpsons :)

They just stick the key onto the PC to make you think that it is. Microsoft = Slime.

That key is your license key, in much the same way as before you got your license key in a package with the manual.

This whole forcing Windows to tie to the machine is part of the current court case against them vs the DOJ.

In fact if you read your license agreement it now says that you cannot transfer the operating system from one machine to another even if the previous machine no longer works. That's why MS go after people selling thier products on eBay.

There is a perfectly legitimate use for unlock keys to Microsoft software.

Indeed that's why they supply you with them when you buy the product and tell you to keep them in a safe place. If your CD stopped working would that justify you downloading warez? It's the same thing.

Some class A muppets on this thread. The original poster removes the link because it's illegal and we have one person publically asking for it and another posting information that orginally was asked to be removed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

"Please tell me where I can buy a PC without having windows preinstalled. Please note that building the machine yourself doesn't count. "

True enough, and seeing that Dell are scaling back linux to just servers it's worse now than last year. But still, I couldn't stand an installed version of linux that wasn't my own doing. It's part of the whole linux deal IMHO - I rather installing exactly as I want rather than generic RedHat 7 or something.

Also, remember that at the bottom of the the MS End User Product Agreement is a piece of text that says that if you do not agree to Microsoft's terms do not click "I Agree" and you are fully entitled to a fule refund of the cost of the software.

But most people aren't absolute jerks like I am and don't read all of the agreement. It's there, and even back in 1996 I bought a desktop from some local PC supplier or somewhere and got it totally clean and free, no OS installed, £100 cheaper than quoted. I think a bunch of people in the US started going at that as well last year.

Sure Dell and Gateway <cough> and IBM install Windows and yu have no choice. Bt you get the machine, tell them that in accordance with the consumer rights afforded you by Microsoft's Product License, you are returning the software and are requesting your fully legally entitled refund.

Your wrong.
    Please tell me where I can buy a PC without having windows preinstalled. Please note that building the machine yourself doesn't count.
    </font>

Are you trying to misunderstand this? You have confused Microsoft's terms or sale to your supplier with the Microsoft EULA. Microsoft do engage in restrictive practices, but thats not what anybody here is talking about: The fact is that the license that come with your PC is not tied to that PC. What you have bought is one licence to use Microsfot Windows on any one PC.

Despite having those licenses we still have to buy a license for the operating system on a new machine if we purchase it. Trying to explain you have already licenses gets blank looks (or more along the lines of Coffee/Beer conversation of marge in the Simpsons smile.gif
    </font>

Yeah, its a sales channel problem. Your license still allows you to do it, even if Microsoft try to make it difficult to...

This whole forcing Windows to tie to the machine is part of the current court case against them vs the DOJ.
    </font>

You have misunderstood the case, unfortunately. The case is about selling licenses to PC manufacturers based on teh number of units sold. It has zilch to do with what the user can do with the license once they have obtained it.

In fact if you read your license agreement it now says that you cannot transfer the operating system from one machine to another even if the previous machine no longer works. That's why MS go after people selling thier products on eBay.
    </font>

No it doesn't.

If your CD stopped working would that justify you downloading warez? It's the same thing.
    </font>

Absolutely. I paid 400IEP for a license to use Windows2000 - not for a CD that cost .0001p to manufacture. It might violate the terms of my EULA, but its probably not illegal, per se.

I'd suggest you have a look at Microsoft's Licensing FAQ at
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/atrisk/faq/default.asp

or the EULA itself:

http://nl.linux.org/geldterug/license.html

They shed a little light on the situation.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 17-08-2001).]

Link removed subject to Moderators disapproval

Are you trying to misunderstand this? You have confused Microsoft's terms or sale to your supplier with the Microsoft EULA.

The point of fact is that OEM's make the OS part of the machines overall cost.

I went to a few places and they simply refused to sell a PC without Windows installed or they would remove it but I would not get a refund.

Others tell you to return it to the OEM while the OEM tells it to bring it back to your store.

My question was. Please tell me of a place that will sell a PC without windows?

What you have bought is one licence to use Microsfot Windows on any one PC.

Not true either. That would be true if I bought the Operating system independant of the PC but the OEM products cannot be resold. MS actively hunt out ebay sales of OEM licenses/software that according to thier page is legal and they cancel the auctions.

The case is about selling licenses to PC manufacturers based on teh number of units sold.

Yes well what OEM is going to buy say 10 seats and sell 5 machines without OS if they are forced to buy per machine? The end user absorbs that.

Here is some URL's for you. Sometimes what is advertised isn't what is available.

http://nl.linux.org/geldterug/license.html
    http://zork.net/refund/issuethree.html
    http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html

• Advertisement

The original poster removes the link because it's illegal ...</font>

I didn't remove it because its illegal, I don't believe IMHO that site I linked to is. I removed it by your reaction as a moderator that it conravened some standard of practice to posting to boards.ie
    On a related topic I wonder should nearly all posters to topic http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum14/HTML/000841.html be given negative karma. I mean I linked to a site which is easily searchable through any search engine which aids people which have had the misfortune of losing crucial information pertaining to the installation of software they have paid for. Whereas this topic asks people for the best download tool to enable them to access copyrighted music/programs et al for free. I really believe this to be a double standard.

[This message has been edited by Loomer (edited 17-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

After a nite on the town, I probably shouldn't go replying, but I feel I need to because this is discretely being targetted @ me. And there is no way in hell I'm going to let that pass!, m8.

Right for a start the software that I'm requesting (the title of) is all free. It is not my fault if anybody posts a link to software that is not free and is acquired below the RRP (BTW I don't know of any file sharing software that isn't free). Anyway the value of the software I'm talking about has nothing to do with this thread, does it?. What you're concerned about is, what the software is going to be used for. Well isn't it true that I can do something mallicous with a compiler (That I have fully paid for). How the software (which is fully paid for) is used, is completely up to the user. He/She can do what they bloody well like with it and must face the concequences as induviduals. Also I find it hard to believe that you don't own any MP3s.

I learned my lesson before on these boards about such content. I am not going to be roped in to it again. So I would prefer if you would not make reference to any thread of mine in the future.

Cheers m8,

;-phobos-)

The point of fact is that OEM's make the OS part of the machines overall cost.
    </font>

Once again, that is not the point. We are discussing EULAs here. You seem determined to muddy this by pointing out irrelevancies in Microsoft sales strategies.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not true either. That would be true if I bought the Operating system independant of the PC but the OEM products cannot be resold. MS actively hunt out ebay sales of OEM licenses/software that according to thier page is legal and they cancel the auctions.</font>

Jeez. You're trying to muddy it again. I don't have the right to resell my OEM license. However, I do have the right to use that license on any PC I own (or my company owns) - I don't have to throw it away if my PC breaks like you suggest.

I admit that this is pretty irrelevant for a lot of people, since you can't buy a 'naked' PC very easily. But the fact remains that these are the legal terms of the agreement - and not what you're suggesting.

no offence, but its simple - you were wrong to begin with, you were wrong when you replied, and now you're trying to muddy the whole issue by pretending that MS sales strategy is the same as MS's EULA in order to hide the fact that you're still wrong.

I ask the mods to close this stupid, pointless, tedious thread, but since you're probably the mod... wink.gif

Phobos, are am not targeting you, purely using your thread to illustrate a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This is pure muppetry.

Simon, I admire your perseverence in trying to discuss it, but perhaps it's time to lock this one...

On another note, (and while it's still unlocked) I think that comparing open-source Napster-clone software to a M$ license key is just bloody stupid.

Loomer, please don't be so stupid in future, it's unbecoming of you, we certainly didn't expect this from the intelligent person that you have shown yourself to be.

Wow, I said that with a straight face! smile.gif

Al.

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.

You really should you know.

If I didn't know better, Trojan, I'd say your mocking me tongue.gif

But, if this topic has done nothing else, it has shown that there certainly is some confusion as to how Microsofts licensing operates and the validity of it.

Also, to say to use Microsoft software that is pirated is bad (which implying the original link facilitates, is pure conjecture) but its "OK" or "not the same thing" to obtain a copy of someone's music for free that they have made with the intention of being financially compensated. That is utter bull****! The are completely comparable. To give one precedence over the other is the height of hypocrisy.

>I ask the mods to close this stupid, pointless, tedious thread, but since you're probably the mod... wink.gif

Naa not this board. smile.gif I'm not going to get into a roundabout argument about who's right and maybe the consumer laws are much more stringent in Europe but I have tried here numerous times and it is anything but the simple process that the EULA makes it out to be.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 17-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

</font>

nope, we used an umbrella liecence when it came to microsoft. pay a certain amount a year, use whatever licences you need. go over a certain amount of licenses, then you pay extra, etc etc etc. some ms stuff was done on a licence by licence fee, however, none of the licences we ever used were pc specific, and none of them required to asset managed for ms

So when purchasing order your PC it is automatically tied into it. So they would of based your rights to own the software on that.
    . :/
    </font>

nope, when you buy a license, thats what you buy. you dont get a car license for each car you own, same applies to pcs.n you could if you wanted buy a pc with no OS on it and get a discount, but i assume no pc amnufacturers would actually want to sell one that way....

Also most machines nowdays come with the OEM Windows key stuck onto them.
    . :/
    </font>

ahh, the joy of generic branding eh?
    Lastly, ever been in a software audit? Big companies have them. They aren't nice. They are even less friendly when they see your license as all 1's and want to see the actual paper proof that you own the rights to the software. :/</font>

yes.
    no problems when you have your licenses sorted out.
    and the toughest bas7ards you will ever meet are citrix.......

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 17-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 18-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement