Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 2 Ultra

• 30-07-2001 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Where can i get a geforce 2 ultra for cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Im getting a geforce 2 ultra pro DDR 32 mb (oem)next week for £143.50inc vat bought in 3 sold two so one left.If theres intrest i will get a few more just got them coz i wanted one smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

*slap*

Seriously though, confirm that price and specification and I'll probably buy one.

Ok the full name for these cards is geforce 2 GTS ultra pro 32mb DDR They are cards made especialy for Dell by Nvidia (no middle man)they are oem and that means they come without boxes (not sure about drivers forgot to ask frown.gif )and only have 30 days warranty.Ive also may be able to get the 64mb version but they would be arround £215 and thats kind of up in the air at the moment so could be cheaper could be more the deals not settled so i cant say to much.

Stone biggrin.gif
    PS Thats irish money including vat p+p on them should be about £5

PPS If your motherboard doesnt suport 4x agp forget it smile.gifLet me know if your intrested you only have until friday to catch the next delivery or it will be the week after.

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 02-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Stone, Ultras and Pros are 2 different products. ULtras are the highest spec'd and Pros are in between those and the normal cards.
    That said even a Pro at that price is still a good deal, excellent cards.

• Advertisement

Agreed Creed grrr i asked him twice today same answer both times unless i heard him wrong and he said geforce2 pro between GTS and Ultra ill pin him down tommoro either way with some juicy games coming out its time to boot me trusty old gf1 DDR.

Stone biggrin.gif

A you sure it's a geforce 2 GTS ultra pro 32mb DDR? Perhaps it's a GeForce 2 GTS ultra pro quadro 32mb DDR? They're all the rage, you know. Or maybe it's the lower end GeForce 2 MX GTS ultra pro 32mb DDR. You never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Is it a Geforce GTS or a Geforce 2?
    [forgot to add] whats the URL for your site Stonemason?[/forgot to add]

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 02-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> From W.C.P Computers(DVD/CD-Rom/Floppy)

PRICE £67.39

SAMSUNG CD-ROM (56x) OEM for those of you that do not know what OEM means, it comes without a box, though it has never been used. When the big companies want to clear stock, they pass them on to a reseller like us but by law they have to remove the packaging; all the manuals/driver cd rom/cables/are all present.

PRICE £40.56

STANDARD FLOPPY drive
    For all your floppy drive needs smile.gif

PRICE £12.64</font>

Whats up with the funky font?

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

God Knows what the funky font is thats why we have moved site i havent been on that site in ages must take it down smile.gif.As for the Geforce cards they will be either Pro,s (most likely) or Ultras (possibly)The problem is it tends to be luck of the draw as they come unboxed on mass he tested a couple today both were geforce 2 Pro,s but he has had ultras too.Basicaly ive told him minimum ill take is the Pro,s so thats the score ill be checking them when they come in mid-week next week.

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 02-08-2001).]

Is it just me or has Nvidia have gone chip mad lately just been on there site for the first time in a couple of months (coz i thought you were taking the pish Dave smile.gif )and their range can only be described as bewildering rolleyes.gif Anyways from what i can gather it should be the geforce2 GTS Pro,s(32mbDDR) we should be getting all i can say is ill check them when they arive and let you know for sure.

Stone biggrin.gif
    PS Justhalf you sure i thought the GEFORCE 2 GTS ULTRA PRO QUADRA MX/EX 64MB TNT VANTA 3 was more popular myself biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Hey stonemason were you closed down for selling illegal Geforces or somefin? Wheres your site gone??

Hate to be pedantic but GTS is just another name for any Geforce2. Giga Texel Shader, some companies use the term, some don't.

But, Stone no offense, if you're going to advertise and sell something you're not doing yourself any favours by showing you don't really know what it is - doesn't inspire confidence.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 03-08-2001).]

Tut tut, Creed, tut tut.

In the context of GeForce cards, the GTS denotes a specific line of cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Geforce2 GTS: 200 core, 333mhz ddr
    Geforce2 Pro: 200 core, 400mhz ddr
    Geforce2 Ultra: 250 core, 460-500mhz ddr

There is NO "GTS pro" . Get your facts right, find out what the actual differences between the cards are. Bewildering it might be, but such is the nature of the pc industry.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    Geforce2 GTS: 200 core, 333mhz ddr
    Geforce2 Pro: 200 core, 400mhz ddr
    Geforce2 Ultra: 250 core, 460-500mhz ddr

There is NO "GTS pro" . Get your facts right, find out what the actual differences between the cards are. Bewildering it might be, but such is the nature of the pc industry.
    </font>

thats what i was trying to find out, i saw a Geforce 2 GTS Ultra above, or something similar, and thought "what???"
    smile.gif

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

No Offence but **** you im sick of this **** i called my suplier to buy in some MX cards for systems ive been ive been asked to build lately and he says he has some (quote)geforce 2 GTS ultra pro,s oem available for not much more than it would cost to buy the mx cards for i says ok ill take a couple (mainly because i want one myself)and you lot give me **** guess what some of us have to deal with 100 times more info than some bloke who has weeks to track down his dream hardware and find out every scrap of info on the subject.Well guess what since we started only two people have suported us off these boards Dave and Mark and fair play to them and thanks for your customer the rest of the time we get **** about some obscure deal 1 day only from dabs or somewhere thats £50 cheaper than us well good ****ing luck to you if you ever want to see decent prices in this country try suporting the local trade rather than saving yourself a poxy tenner.As you say i jumped the gun i should have kept my gob shut until i knew for sure, but when i saw someone looking for a cheap ultra (at the time)i thought id let him know something was coming and he may save himself a few quid.So as far as im concerned losing your no existant suport means very little to me.

Stone rolleyes.gif

Dream all you will just dont waste my ****ing time

PS gerry you talk about the nature of the pc business well let me tell you something when buying for an undetermined market for an undefined quantity for an unknown number of buyers with a no predefined specification life gets a little more complicated.I dont know what your job description is at IT direct but i bet it doesnt include buying, updateing prices, repair, advising, stock control, pricing, sourcing possible supliers,adverising,and about 50 other jobs.In affect im saying here these cards would have been sold for what they are which i wont know until i get one in my hands and if you have a word with your oem people i think youll find that the only way to be sure of what oem cards youve got is to lift the heatsink and fan of said card and look at the chip face to face.

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 04-08-2001).]

Stone, 'no offense' meant none intended. Take it as constructive criticism. I'm all for local suppliers and definitely seeing people from here do well, thats why I mentioned it (Knowing it'd probably be flamed), not arrogance - simply so you can avoid it in the future and maybe improve business.

Just Half, the Geforce2 technology is and always has been known also as GTS (in the same way the G4ce-1 was their 'gpu'). Pros and Ultras are just faster versions so that hasn't changed regardless of how some brands are labelling their cards.

Sorry about the rant i came in from the pub (a little pished)and just saw red i got a little carried away.The point i was trying to make(and have mention before)is i wont be sure until they actualy arrive what they will be due to the nature of the way they are purchaced i only mentioned it to stop cardinal from buying an ultra until next week because we could have some in and it maybe cheaper for him.Im not trying to sell on these boards as such but if i see someone looking for stuff we either have in or will be getting i will mention it.Anyway your right to critisise when warranted it just seems like i get alot of it frown.gif.

All the best
    Stone biggrin.gif

PS They will be at least Pro`s or they will be going back(im hopeing there will be a couple of ultras in there too smile.gif )

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    Anyway your right to critisise when warranted it just seems like i get alot of it frown.gif.
    </font>

There called "playa haters" Stone.
    smile.gif

As the guy in Jackass said [start playa mode]"dont hate the playa, hate the game[/start playa mode]

Just for those as ill informed as myself biggrin.gif

http://www.legionhardware.com/Article/ultra-vs-pro.php

It would be the first thing you would see after the computer started top left of the screen should tell you regardless of what drivers you had installed in windows.As for people buying without knowing i said already ill let you know for sure next week when i have one fitted in my machine in fact ill probably run sandra and bench test on it on 3d mark 2001 just for the hell of it smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif

Stone, that's not the only way. You can (1) uninstall your own GFX drivers, then (2) put in one of the cards. Next (3) install the nVidia drivers. The type of card will be visible.

Also, you can't expect someone to buy something if they don't know what it is.

*smacks self* D'oh! Forgot about the graphics card BIOS! However, my method also works, just more of a pain in the ass.

Anyway Stone, no-one asked you for benchmarks, just a clear specification.

I know dave but im gonna do it anyway so i might as well post them too biggrin.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

Just remember:
    * Give a full, *detailed* and *accurate* specification of the machine. Include Proc speed, motherboard, RAM used, and HDD specs. OS + list of any service packs/hotfixes.
    * Do a comparative benchmark. Test on the same machine with a GeForce 2 GTS or something and then show the change between that and the new one. USE THE EXACT SAME MACHINE! (giving allowances for the delta in spec for the GFX card only)
    * Run each benchmark 5 times, and give "Average", "Best" and "Worst"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Stone, I'm not working in itdirect at the moment, but I have built and upgraded pc's myself for many years. I have had to do all the things you mentioned. You can't account for the market, but you can at least find out what you are getting from your suppliers. I have had to deal with suppliers who had vague, crap descriptions as well. So what did I do, I phoned them, emailed them, and drove around to them, and inspected the goods myself. Theres no point complaining about your suppliers here.

I also knew *exactly* what I wanted to buy before I bought it. You didn't seem to realise anything was amiss with the description until it was pointed out to you. This implies either that you didn't mind that you were selling something without a definite description, or that you didn't know enough about what you were selling. At least you have realised your mistake now.

Tis true Gerry ill be the first to admit that in the case of these cards it was a major **** up.The conversation(to my suplier) went alittle like i need bla bla parts (big list of known parts)When i got to the geforce MX cards supliers (who is a m8 too)says oooo got some nice oem,s for you not a hole lot more expencive than the mx cards What are they says me geforce 2 gts Ultra pro,s smile.gif says he and as i havent really kept up with the changing face of geforce cards (sept gf3)I knew no better (kicks self)Anyway a long story short it was my fault for not knowing and pulling him up on it so its a fair cop i surender biggrin.gif Ive now been told their shipping as i type and they will be Pros but as i say im saying nuffink till ive got one in my paws.Dave you taking the micky again smile.gif i will give as much info as i can gleem from a bench test on my own machine which i will specifie at the time of posting ill probably do a standard setting test then overclock the card to see what gains can be had.

Stone biggrin.gif
    PS Gerry glad to hear your not with IT anymore(the less competant employees they have the better for us) biggrin.gif to tell the truth if we were abit bigger id be headhunting you myself biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 07-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

Ok they arrived today in fact im useing one right now smile.gif.They show up in windows as Geforce2 GTS/Geforce 2 Pro they are 32mb DDR I tried 3dmark 2000 ver 1.1 and these were the results. For default settings of (core)200 (clock)333 the score was 6951 and overclocked it was (core)230 (clock)363 the score was 7275 this isnt the max settings though.Machine was an AMD T/bird 1ghz o/c to 1.2 256mb pc 133 ram all on a kt7 raid motherboard.I only ran the test once ill be testing them again and i was using detonator 3 version 11.01(which im not sure about)If anyone knows a better version let me know will ya please.

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 10-08-2001).]

Advertisement