Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 2 Ultra

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

geforce2 gts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I feel for ya Stone I really do.
    I also began my career trying to flog stuff to these punters here at this site. No point, you'd go broke trying wouldn't ya? For many of the reasons you ranted about and more.

> subject at hand: I recon Gerry is right about those cards. And I'm betting one more thing Stone, when you "boot up" there is no logo at all on the screen to tell you what make the card is....am I right?

I got a few of those cards myself from the states a month ago and the distributor I got them from clearly advertised them as Geforce 2 GTS. Sounds like your supplier just confused you (on purpose or by their own stupidity)

Anyways, I ugraded my machine to that card and am delighted to be using it...I get 250fps in CS...Max everything out in T2 (when i played it) and all other games im able to run at highest spec as well.

Bonus: You can still use that geforce fps tweak proggy with these cards to boost the fps. For the money, i recon they are worth it. am i wrong? if so post a better price from www.someukcompanyyou'dratherspenmoneywith.com

NOW. Is anyone gonna by yer man's cards?

Its still a very good price, considering the trade price on a geforce2 pro is a good bit higher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Hi yanklink

Yea your right about the no bios ID.Im even more suspcious since i cant get the heatsink off to look at the chip (tis glued solid)in windows it comes up with geforce2GTS/Geforce 2 pro(also in sandra pro) surely a contratdicion?.Is there anyway to tell for sure as i want to be 100% before i go chewing my supliers face off.As you say i installed one last night and got very little sleep playing Max Payne with all the knobbs turned up full smile.gif great card but im not keen on being conned (if it aint a Pro).

Stone smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

dont know how you can tell for sure...Gerry?

but mine comes up exactly like that too in windows. Manual that comes with it says Visiontek on it if that helps.

• Advertisement

Im still not convinced these are just GTS nor am i convinced that there Pro,s.Yanklink just because they have no bios reading could simply mean they were left blank for the likes of dell or whoever to imprint there logo.Anyway ill post the part number so if anyone knows where to find info about them i can lay this to rest.

part numbers (taken from sandra)

OEM FUN_O,VEN_10DE,DEV_0150,REV_4A
    PRODUCT HARDWARE ID VEN_10DE,DEV_002E
    REVISION/STEPPING K/5(hardware revision 164)

Stone

intresting read

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1377&p=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Gerry's right, from what you've described they're standard cards, not pro's. 2 ways to identify.
    1 Pro/ultras have 64mb.
    2 Clock speed. A Pro is rated at 200Mhz core, 400mhz Ram. The ones you have are 'only' 333mhz Ram.

Nvidia probably dont make the distinction between the 2 in their drivers since the core runs at the same speed in both models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Nope, Pro's can have 32Mb of RAM... but they ARE GTS cards, with 333MHz RAM.

Just to confuse things even further does coolbits actualy know the difference between a PRO and GTS the reason i ask is because im running my card at 200mhz core and 400mhz mem and its as happy as a pig in **** add to that a score of 7400 in 3d mark2000 im still not convinced.Just a point of intrest licksys creative geforce 2 ultra on my system only pulled in a score of 7700.

Stone biggrin.gif

yes stone, so what you have there is an overclocked geforce2 gts. The fact that the default memory speed is 333mhz means it is a geforce2 gts, regardless of whether it has 32 or 64 megs of ram. It's still not a bad price, so I don't see what the problem is.

And for further clarification, the geforce2 gts, pro and ultra all use the *exact* same chip, simply running at different speeds, so its not surprising that some programs can't tell the difference. It's up to you to do the math.

Also, regarding the heatsink. I replaced the heatsink on my creative geforce2 gts this evening. Held the heatsink in a vice, and twisted the card. Voila, came straight off. Then I sanded the glue off the heatsink, and attached a large socket 7 heatsink, using a drop of superglue on each corner, and artic silver thermal paste to transfer the heat. Now it runs at 35c max, as opposed to 50-60c before.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 12-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

The reason it matters is simply princible when i buy something in i expect it to be what i was promised.As for the same chip this is what i was driving at about the coolbits slider i know the chips and even the boards can be identical as you say its a quality control issue ultras being top bannana and GTS being on the lower rung(i just wondered if factory defaults would be set to GTS regardless).Well its been bugging me so much that i took me courage in both hands and yanked the heatsink off and was annoyed to find a GTS underneith so this is what they are standard GTS`s.So mr suplier is going to get earache.On a lighter note i may well keep one and do as you have done Gerry add a bigger fan as i havent fitted the old one back yet.I also like the card (begrudgingly).

Stone biggrin.gif
    ps cheers for the debate its help me get up to speed on the nvidia scene biggrin.gif

The heatsink does block the first pci slot though smile.gif

I had plenty of room but i wasnt happy with it so i took it off again smile.gif.So now i have a problem whats the best thing for removing arctic silver and super glue smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 14-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My history of adding heatsinks to a Geforce is not good....I did basically the same thing, Socket7 HSF, superglue and some paste.
    The first card I killed by lapping too much before adding the HSF. The second time the fan fell off after a few months right onto my SBLive, shorting it out.

For the Geforce2 I just bought a blue orb, dead easy to add, takes up very little space and it hasn't tried to kill SBLive numero 2 ...yet....

LOL

Partly the reason i took mine off was it looked to big and in danger of falling off at some point smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have 2 spare Socket7 heatsink+fans and one heatsink lying around. have no arctic Silver though. Any substitute?

Aso Det4 12.41 are out.
    www.nvidia.com

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

Advertisement