Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT to map Broadband demand

Options
  • 18-06-2002 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

An interesting devolopment. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/25769.html for details. The article goes on to say that before an exchange is viable to be upgraded to support DSL, the numbers would need to be high enough. It mentions somewhere between 200 and 500 before this is the case.

I'd be interested to know would this now transfer to a similar sum here, or would eircom be dividing this by three as the price of DSL is approximatley that here before upgrading their exchanges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The BBC has the following Article with a few interesting points to add to the above.

1. A group named Broandband Britain maintains that 50 users and not 500 is enough to warrant upgrading an exchange to Broadband ...who are these guys anybody????

2. The UK government is 'concerned about the rural -urban digital divide whereas the muppets in OUR government are forwarding crappy and inaccurate letters written by Eircom to their own constituents as if they were checked facts. The Bobby Molloy school of letterwriting is alive and well.

3. The public may indicate an interest to BT so they can start counting whereas we are following some unknown schedule as laid down by Eircom irrespective of where the demand may be.

One must feel envy for those who live near the border and can get a BT/Wireless combination hopped over to them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

BT wouldn't recognise a demand if it kicked 'em in the nuts. They're running scared cos BlueYonder have just started doing 1Mb cable connections for £35 a month, and they're going to be left behind.

Originally posted by Muck
    *SNIP*

2. The UK government is 'concerned about the rural -urban digital divide...
    [/B]

I don't think that's true. If you're on the rural side of the urban-rural divide, you're going to be stuck in 56K land for a long long time unless you can afford satellite broadband the government's not going to subsidise that for you. And the government and OFTEL have proved time and time again they don't have the balls to say boo to BT...

...this is why BT offer 2 way satellite in areas where they are trying to get away with not providing ADSL.........rural one.

the 2 way sat runs a tad faster faster than ISDN, is flat rated unlike ANY Eircom product and is not capped either ISTR

could we have that from Eircon so

M

£900 ex VAT for installation and £60 ex VAT a month? It wouldn't want to be capped! And it's not a realistic option unles you're a home worker and your company's paying for it, or you're a lottery winner...

Pricing here:
    http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/pricing.html

• Advertisement

...compared to £700 which is what it would cost you here

remember it is uncapped and available..

Ireland is the home of barely available capped broadband.

We also have a worlkd beating product called Broadband ISDN, have you heard of this CHipz.?

M

...And nobody's taking it up. If *any* government is talking about making internet access and specially broadband available to people outside big towns and cities, they'll have to get serious about making it affordable. Whatever about the monthly fee for BT's satellite serice, could you afford that installation fee? I couldn't. Well, maybe I could, but I couldn't justify it unless it was for business... Where does that leave Joe Soap? Governments go on about having an information society, but talk is cheap. How much would B-ISDN cost you BTW?

emmmmmmm lemme see

Broadband ISDN , the world famous Eircom Invention would cost

c. 3€ an hour asuming!

both channels open
    dialing 1891 number
    not getting VAT back

+ 15€ a month to the ISP for the privilige of using Irish Broadband, free services only give 1 x 64kbit channel which in fairness is probably broadband too.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

which in fairness is probably broadband too.

:D

Does anybody notice how slowly and deliberately the mouse moves in those Eircom ads....I believe the polite term is 'stately'

It is a conscionable and deliberate effort to subliminally associate 'speed' and 'eircom' in the public mind, less charitable people than meself would call that brainwashing. I have seen their own workers moving faster than the mouse does...on occasion.....when it was raining.

I think that if the ads should always be played at 10 times current speed otherwise the country will slide back into its pre celtic tiger era torpor.

M

• Advertisement

I think that if the ads should always be played at 10 times current speed otherwise the country will slide back into its pre celtic tiger era torpor.

We should extend the campaign to playing the Eircom ad's repeatidly on our video's at X2 speed.

Specimen.

My cousins came over to visit from the states (it IS summer) they haven't been in 10 years.

They heard about the celtic tiger thing and tried to check their email while here.

They were amazed at the lack of a dhcp server anywhere they went these things are in pubs and coffee houses where they live and at home of course.

They were even more amazed at the idea that the Celtic Tiger a sleek powerful beast, allegedly, is being represented on television by a fat, torpid , overweight mouse instead.

The Americans do not use images of OBESITY NONCHALANCE and LAZINESS to sell advanced state of the art telecommunications products and quality customer services, they use babes instead.

Fortunately they think that Ireland is still cute and quaint and that will keep the tourists coming...whatever about industry, services and employment.

Do you know what we need to do ?

We need to christan the mouse, we can't just call him the Eircom mouse anymore. We need to give a name more befitting the place he holds in our hearts.

I propose we call the mouse, 'The Celtic Mouse'

.......Mickey Mór

........aka Biggus D k s as in the Life of Brian

M

How do we know he is a he ?

The way it waves all the time is very affeminate.

how bout

Fat Minnie!

I think Fat Mary, in reverance to its creator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Muck
    both channels open
    dialing 1891 number
    not getting VAT back

+ 15€ a month to the ISP for the privilige of using Irish Broadband, free services only give 1 x 64kbit channel which in fairness is probably broadband too.

Not quite correct there: Oceanfree and UTV unternet allow free dual channel ISDN. - just a wee note :)

that saves me 15€ a month so, 5 hours extra surfing

yippeeeeeeeeeeee

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a bit Teletubby around the sides there. I vote for La-La, since, whatever sex it is, it's have to be a right La-La to fall for Eircom's guff.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement