Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving my Graphics Card

• 11-08-2001 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

I'd say your CPU/MBD is the limiting factor regardless.
    The Geforce2 has a decent T&L unit, but it will only be used by opengl and very few direct-X games. Even then chances are your AGP slot is 1/2x, and the extra vertex information will clog the bus when you are using the onboard T&L unit. Also T&L is only one part of the geometry setup for 3d scenes, so while it saves you CPU cycles it doesn't mean your Vidcard can forget about the CPU.

But, to get the most from itset it to always use 16 bit textures for Opengl, turn filtering down to Bilinear only etc. If none of this changes anything then you can be sure your CPU is the bottleneck.
    Regardless turn off Vsynch, you may notice some screen tearing but it will add some frames.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

dont mind him...try http://var.gameshop.ie/fps/

geforce tweak utility should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Lol....Im curious, just what magic do you think the tweaker 'fast' setting does eh? Lower the filtering settings....reduce texture quality maybe.... wink.gif.
    Forgot, it's magic, I shouldn't ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Anyway I recently purchased a Geforce 2 MX 400 card for my pc.

Im currently getting between 25-30 fps from it in 800*600 mode. Which being a major difference from my previous setup is not as high as I was hoping for from the card.

(My PC is running an Amd 450 mhz processor with 128 megs of Ram.)

Im wondering does anyone know of anyway for me to crank up the fps on the card in anyway? as im sure I can go higher than that even on my lowly cpu.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I tried the tweak guide alright didnt do much to the fps at all.

Id sayas you stated above my sh!tty processor is what is holding everything up, so thatll be next on the cards.

Thanx anyway guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

no offense creed. just given the user a quicker way of getting a fast answer, without the hassle of having to understand what he's doing...if he uses that and gets results he's happy if not...he's used only 30 seconds of his life to find he needs to spend more money on faster cpu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Id say splash out on a duron 800 youll get one for the price of a good night out smile.gif

Stone smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Am...you really should be getting about 60fps minimum with that card, unless you have an old celeron300 or something
    In CS use OpenGl only.
    If the game uses DirectX ver 7 or later it might suport Hardware T&L but if its earlier (like HL/CS - 6.1) there's no chance.
    OpenGl uses the Hardware T&L rendering pipelne automatically (thanks to it being designed by Silicon Graphics wink.gif )
    put -16bpp in the command line of the CS shortcut, use That VAr link above, do everything CreeD said, and make an effort to at least comprehend whether pushing that slider to the left will reduce or increase your fps.......
    Don't be a Mac user, roll up your sleeves, pull oout your cross-head screwdriver and dive in.
    Also get the newest detonator drivers from nvidia.
    I'm using 6.50 atm with meh GF256 SDR and I get a rock solid 99.9fps in CS. No slowdown. but this came witha bit of work and effort. And the manual extraction of whole hair folicles in the process when windows crashes in safe-mode.
    There is no excuse for laziness, except hangovers.
    Also, CreeD, I dissagree with you about the AGP2x not having enough bandwidth for CS. That's B0ll0X. There are very few games taht even use all of the bandwidth available from 2x, let alone 4x. no offence of course. wink.gif

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

Advertisement