Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File searching in XP

• 18-06-2002 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

I use XP and i must say that searching for files and folders is a freaking pain cause it searchs every fuking .zip on the hd
    how can i stop it searching archives and speed up the whole process ??

and any respons's like "install <other os> - problem soved"
    can go fo tbh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

its an absolute nightmare, to search for a file in XP and i couldnt find any oiptions to put it back to the win 2K way of file searching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey hey, kids.... heres what to do:

Select Run from the Start Menu.
    Type regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll at the prompt, and click Ok.
    The change will take effect immediately, but you may have to restart Windows for all traces of the built-in ZIP support to disappear.

If, at any time, you wish to re-enable Windows XP's built-in ZIP support, just follow these steps:

Select Run from the Start Menu.
    Type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll at the prompt, and click Ok.
    The change will take effect immediately, but you may have to restart Windows for all features of the built-in ZIP support to be available.

Problem solved!

To enable old fashioned W2K searching, start a search, click on "Change Preferences", "Change files and folders search behaviour", and change it to advanced.

Hope this helps,
    Dave.

Advertisement