Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooler then a skinny-dipping Eskimo

• 14-08-2001 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Just updated my KT7A-Raid bios and now it runs my chip at 44C on idle, and about 46C - 48C at 100% load. DOH!

So... looks like I need MORE COOLING! (In the Spirit of Tim "the toolman" Taylor)

Right now I use the usual 2x80mm fans, and a thermoengine with the regular 5000rpm fan (the 7k Delta was like a Jumbo-jet).

Has anyone done anything cheap but unusual that, seriously now, lowered their CPU temp?
    Like drive bay coolers (40mm fans), PCI slot coolers, funnels, tubes, holes... ANYTHING thats not going to damage my hearing, or shake my desk to bits.

Bring it on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Whats wrong with 48C?
    Thats pretty ok no matter what country you are in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I know its not 'bad' but it could be so much better.

If I play Quake III for a few hours solid it goes a good bit over 50C (cause all the perhiperals and my scared sh*tless body heat warm up the ambient temp nicely).

I want it never to even think about going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Water cooling. I can get you all you need to water cool your system for about 210 quid; including graphics card cooling.

Or I can show you were to get it wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I think the one you would want is a ThermalRight SK6:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_CPU_and_System_Coolers_18.html

Very nice copper heatsink.

I want to get a bezel/finisher thing (the roundy thing cleaning up the hole) like this for the front of my case...

http://www.multiplaycity.com/services/casemods/modgallery/enlight/bezeltrimangle.jpg

did anyone ever do this or know a good way to do this?

[This message has been edited by llatsni (edited 14-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

You sad little man.

Show me that water cooling then, oh superior one...

you remind me of a GM Yoda on steroids

Here go, must you: http://www.watercooling.co.uk

Wise it may be, to consult also Germans in your quest:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010528/index.html

BTW Paul, my chip temperature exceeded 57* last night, crashing Baldur's Gate - something not very processor intensive at all.

I need to reapply the Artic Silver (less of it this time! wink.gif ) - may I have a lend of some soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

new, just invented! EMAIL!

• Advertisement

also, the athlon is specced to run up to 70-80 degrees stable. 50 degrees is not a problem, there is no cause for concern, at all. Think about all the oem machines with less cooling than yours, the chips in those machines will be running close to their maximum temperature, but they keep going. Your irrational fear will lead you to waste money!

Er, Phil... game crash?

Not to mention that I can get Arctic Silver off Paul, and the fact that the temperature read was from the thermistor underneath the chip (not on chip temperature) which may or may not be resting exactly right leads me to believe I'm running too hot.

And if I can drop 20 or so degrees with a little bit of work, why not? wink.gif

I was referring to pauls machine, you tard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You should see a 1.2GHz Athlon running on a 145W PSU with a tiny copper heatsink and a monster 4100RPM fan.

Anyway, it appears that JustHalf's machine was crashing, because the heatsink was in fact mounted the wrong way round. Should be fun to see what you do with a load of watercooling gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"Raindrops are falling on my head, la la la....Bzzzzttt...Oops"

The single best cooler I think I use is an old Drive-bay dual exhaust fan - very quiet and it really keeps the case temp down.
    As regards heat related crashes, something I realised a while back was that while the CPU seems to be at a certain level when it happens (Leading you to think that as the common denominator it must be the cause), it can be due to the increased heat it's putting into the case causing another component to go belly up.
    In my case it was actually my Vidcard. It had been fine before I used a new less-ventilated case which raised the ambient temp by about 5 degrees, and the CPU by 2. Playing with the CPU cooling/speed did little to help, but dropping the vidcard speed by 5Mhz did.

heh, I've got 2 ystech fans at 7 volts. Even at 12volts, the 2 of them sound much less annoying than a delta, its more a rushing sound than the stupid whine. I dunno how anyone can use a computer with a whining delta without headphones. It also makes it impossible to leave it on 24/7 without people complaining smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

USE THE DELTA......24CFM COMPARED TO 38 CFM?
    J3BUS MAN IF U DON'T WANT IT SEND THE DELTA 2 ME :P (sorry for caps) rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

To shoot or not to shoot that is the question....Answer: Fúck it all and just kill the pig.
    =DiE=[NeoSlicers]=

No matter how cool they are, Delta fans will eventually drive you nuts.
    I had one on an FOP38 and eventually swapped it for a Thermalright SK6 with YsTech fan (only a +2/3 deg impact for much less noise). Do not underestimate it's ability to make your teeth vibrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

You pl just aren't cool...........Delta's ownz j00 all smile.gif

all you need to do is put variable resisters on them smile.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

AMD ATHLON SOCKET A - www.amd.com

There are 2 specs for the max core temp on their site...

1. 90 degree C operating - 100 degree C powered down

2. 90 degree C either operating or powerd down

As you can see this is well above the temps you are talking about - yes the cooler the processor the longrer it lives but do you really want a fully functional 10 year old chip?

tribble: no offence, but we've been through this a dozen times before on this board...

Those specs are for internal temps on unoverclocked chips.
    Most boards measure CPU casing temp (quite a bit cooler than core).

Therefore the guideline of 90C is useless to someone like me whos (currently) running an Athalon 1Ghz at 1333Mhz, thats a 33% overclock.

A good estimate therefore for burnout on my chip is prob. around 60-65C, much less if I clock it more.

paul, I need ram from ocuk. Let me know when you are going to order.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sutty:
    You pl just aren't cool...........Delta's ownz j00 all smile.gif

all you need to do is put variable resisters on them smile.gif

</font>

This has always puzzled me. You buy a fan because it's so fast, then pop a speed control onto it and slow it down....
    Methinks you're better off getting an 80mm quiet fan and building a small duct to channel the air flow if you want that kind of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by llatsni:
    I want to get a bezel/finisher thing (the roundy thing cleaning up the hole) like this for the front of my case...]</font>

From the look of it, you could raid the mammy's washing machine.

Advertisement