Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont you just hate it when......

• 18-06-2002 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

dell have promised that their delivery people will call you to arrange a delivery time for that brand spanking new pc you just ordered, and then you arrive home one day to find a little card in your letterbox saying "sorry but we called around and there was nobody in". :mad: (no phonecall whatsoever obviously)

I mean, ffs, doesnt it occur to some people that in order to spend 3500 on a pc it probably means you have some sort of job :rolleyes:

Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

its time to take a day off and sit at home , clean the house, watch some tv and curse everytime its not them at the door

3500, wow thats spending power,
    whatcha get, gwan you can tell us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Don`t tell anything:

as every little component right down to the colour of Wrapping that the machine arived in will be evaluated as "You coulda got it cheaper at X/Y/Z" and the ineviatble "I`ll build it for and save you loads" type replies. :D

Well ok go on for 3500 it would wanna be sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's cos it generally is quite a bit cheaper, and you end up witha better system and better knowledge of tah machine(and PCs in general) after you're done.

€3500 - you went for a package deal - printer + scanner etc. I'd say.

A mate of mine got a full-on "bastid" spec PC for €2500. had been using a Pentium 100 or soemthing for the past 6 years previous.
    No scanner or printer, cos he has em allready.

Might mail him for the exact specs, but he had the case, monitor, bits and bobs and mouse today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

€3500? Jaysus man I could have built that for ya for half that! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not too far from the truth, just built myself a 2ghz machine for little more than the price of a few pints.

Good luck with the new machine tho, its always nice to have a new toy :D

Yeha, it's that lovely "Christmas morning - 3am" feeling, opeing up all those big big boxes,. struggling with the wrapping while you salivate like a starving dog chasing a Butcher van.....

Bliss.

Retail therapy in it's purest form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

er I was afraid of this, but you see I have built computers for years myself - only this time I couldnt be arsed and money is no longer an object :D - however, I did go for a lot of bells and whistles which cost extra (eg monitor, speakers, gf4 etc) so I would like to see the exact spec priced out of somewhere else (the exact spec mind you, and not "oh you dont really need a 21" monitor, a 19" is fine therefore I could have built this for you for €500 cheaper"). I bet theres not much in it.

P4 2.2 ghz (northwood 512kb cache)
    512mb RDRAM
    120 gb 7200 rpm hd
    128mb GF4 ti 4600
    21" trinitron monitor :)
    dvd writer, cd writer blah blah
    SB Live sound
    Altec Lansing ADA 885 Thx speakers/sub (i have heard these and they are awesome)
    xp pro
    3com nic
    Eicon diva ta
    optical mouse
    cant remember the printer/scanner ( im in work now)

All in all, I cant wait.

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Funny enough that happened me Got a laptop of Gateway
    last year and got the Little card to say it was across the road in
    my neighbours fine you think but they where a bunch of scummer
    and i was surprised to get it back and it took them 2 weeks to send me a bag thank f**k they got shut down

ooooooohh its here!!!

wife just rang me to say they arrived today. I cant bear the thought of it sitting at home all alone :rolleyes: . Roll on 5.00 :D

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Quorthon
    ooooooohh its here!!!

wife just rang me to say they arrived today. I cant bear the thought of it sitting at home all alone :rolleyes: . Roll on 5.00 :D

Q
    I am quite frankly surprised that your wife didn't ring up and call you a loon for spending so much on a computer system instead of on her ;)

Yeah :)

You'll have to be a bit more specific on the specs.
    If you want an accurate price you can't just say
    "dvd writer, cd writer blah blah"
    I take it all the hardware is in matching colours? Plush khunt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Using komplett prices, you can't get near that dell price. I'll try again with trade prices when I get the chance.

One thing though, the dvd writers I saw could also write to cd's, so buying the 2 writers would appear to be unnecessary.

Guys

I think that the dell prices for stuff like this are actually reasonably good value. I should correct it and say that its not a DVD writer, but a player, my mistake. Everything else is correct tho. Im not sure what make the dvd/cd are, but I think dell use Liteon or LG. THe DVD is 16x (iirc), and the cd player is 40x/10x/40x.

I did a quick tot on komplett for similar specs and came to around €3350 which is admittedly cheaper, but it included a hansol .26 dot pitch 21" monitor rather than the .24 trinitron Im getting. Anyway, even if it is cheaper, I dont think you could beat that spec by much, and like i said earlier, Im at a stage where im happy to pay the bit extra to have someone else do it for me.

BTW syxpak, yes the hardware is all in matching colours, storm/midnight grey ( a rather fetching grey black combo) :p

Q

Advertisement