Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios updates and hard-drives firmware

• 18-08-2001 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I have a Intel440BX chipset in an Aopen Mobo, and AX6BC.
    Its running with AGP2x atm. I have a slight BIOS update for it. Can't make a startup disk to save my life. have tried loads of times for DOS games etc. Can't get it to work. I must be jinxed or something.
    Anyways, is it possible, on any mobo, to "upgrade your board to AGP4x, cos I know of boards with the BX taht also have AGP 4x.

Also, i ahvea Maxtor 30Gb UDMA33 hdd. I'm using standard MS drivers for everything, IDE controller, HDd etc.
    Is there anything to be gained by trying to get more specific drivers? Are there such things as firmware upgrades for hdds so as to upgrade it from UDMA33 to 66? i knwo you have to use the finer cable too.

Aslo, (last quetion) is there a program that can identify every detail about the spec of your DiMMs? as in RAS#, CAS#, RAS to CAS delay time, RAS precharge etc.?

I know thats a lot fo questions, but lease answer a few of wm cos its been buging me for a while, but I never got around to posting about it before.
    John

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Right, the bx DOES NOT support agp 4x. i.e. the hardware does not support it, and you can't "upgrade it". Agp 4x makes no noticeable difference, so I wish people would quit whining about it.

Use this program to make a bootdisk for bios flashing.

http://www.bootdisk.com/drdfiles/drdflash.exe

I only use it because I have win2k and so no pure dos environment. If you have win9x, pressing f8 on startup, then shift + f5 works just as well.

Sisoft Sandra www.sisoftware.co.uk will read the info on your ram, from the spd chip on the dimm, presuming your ram has this spd chip (not all ram does) It is fairly basic though, and may not provide all the details you are looking for.

Advertisement