Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing Drives/folders across network - Win2k

• 19-06-2002 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

I've had hassle before trying to share my win2k drive (FAT32) on a slap-together-network at a lan.
    Are there any special things/accounts I need to create? Can't I just setup a folder/drive as a normal user share and give "Everyone" read rights?
    It seems to have no hassle sharing my Win98 drive (FAT32 - D: ) through win2k.
    Does the OS not want meh oping itself up to network attacks/security breaches?

I've about 15Gigs of movies and patches and stuff on this drive, and I'd REALLY like to be able to share em as they are, and not have to try and move across to my otehr drive which has fack all space left.

The WinNT4 machines in college have no problem with letting me set up shares on folders in the C: drive, even the winnt one.
    I think even the C: Drive itself can be shared.

Anyon able to shed light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Or create an account that matches the account you are logging into your win98 machine as. Then give this account rights to the share and also add this user to the administrators group.
    I'm assuming that you have no interest in seting up good security here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

98 should bring up his box to enter whatever passwords are necessary. I presume you have file and print sharing installed in network neighborhood :)

The only thing that could prevent you from sharing here is if the network built on 2k has used the hisecws.inf security template which prevents nt (possibly 98/95 machines) from being able to see files shared out by any windows2000 coms on the network. So only win2k machines can connect to your files? Could be way off the mark I think it only happens between nt/2k but it's a possiblity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sometimes you have to specify the server authenticating you as well.

So for example if you are trying to log into "ServerX" with "UserX" then you would type in "ServerX\UserX" as the username.

Another thing it could be is that the server's don't know each others name.

Go to Dos prompt (run CMD.EXE), type ping machinename.

If you get Bad IP, then try pinging the IP address.

You can access the machine by it's IP name instead then, or if you want go to %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc and edit the HOSTS file. Add your IP and machine name in there (samples in the file). Then go to network settings and enable LMHOSTS.

If you have admin access to the machine you can also get into the machine via the administrate shares (unless your smart enough to disable them) this would be for example \\Machine\c$ for the C drive on "Machine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do you mean when you conenct to the 2k pc from the 98 one you get the dreaded IPC$ password box? If its that one then yes do what bricks said.. add the username/password of the 98 machines logon into the users on the 2k PC and give it admin or superuser rights. Enabling a guest account can sometimes fix it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

.... OR you can log onto the win98 machine with the same username and password as the win2k machine.. That'll do the trick

EG. Your logged onto the win2k machine as 'Admin' with password 'NT4sucks'

Then go into your win98 machine. Log off default or whatever, and log on as 'Admin' with password 'NT4sucks'. Thats it.

Run, \\win2kmachine

also, not sure if you need it, but make sure your in the same workgroup as the other machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Ive seen this a few times and it was usually down to the guest account , its normally disabled by default, just go into computer management and enable it ... should be fine then , unles there is more restrictive policies set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Sometimes you have to specify the server authenticating you as well.

So for example if you are trying to log into "ServerX" with "UserX" then you would type in "ServerX\UserX" as the username.
    "

thats domains simon.
    i presume you are on a workgroup and not a domain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's a workgroup.
    There won't be any permanet server to speak of, jsut general flaking around of files - LAN leeching.
    I've 20G+ of stuff on this drive that I want to open up to the mob.
    The Guest account has been enabled since I installed, don't think it has any password on it, but i'll set it to blank anyways...
    I thought Win98 only needed to log inot itself, and then you could map any drive on the network using a password and username supplied by the admin of the machine you're connecting to?
    That way the admin can control permissions on a username/password basis?
    Mapping isn't all taht important, jsut so longas people can see my shared folder on the network, access it and read/write (as situation permits) to it.

Not getting involved with VLans or anything, cos this network will be up for 4-5 days max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

thats domains simon.
    i presume you are on a workgroup and not a domain?

Nope, that's the machine.

For example

DOMAIN1
    - MACHINE1
    - MACHINE2
    WORKGROUP1
    - MACHINE3

User on machine1 can log in using their domain login to get into MACHINE2. To log into MACHINE3 they would use an account on machine3 and add the machines name, eg MACHINE3\Administrator.

For MACHINE3 to log into MACHINE2 they can use DOMAIN1\Username or MACHINE2\UserName.

I have a few machines on my desk in work on different domains/workgroups and do this all the time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

so could this work:
    Workgroup
    -Machine1 192.168.0.1 Submask: 255.255.255.0
    -machine2 192.168.0.2 Submask: 255.255.255.0
    -Machine3 192.168.0.3 Submask: 255.255.255.0

Can machine 2 look into network neighbourhood and see the shared folders on machine 1 and 3 (and vice versa) or do they have to go to map drive and put in
    "//MACHINE*/Accountname"
    "Password"

This is for a lan that will be up for 4 days max at a time.
    Security isn't an issue as such, any folder that's shared is meant to be shared etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement