Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you get the esat letter

• 30-04-2001 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, I didn't - and I certainly wouldn't expect to as the most I would get to use their service would be 3 times weekly and the absolute longest I'd be on for one session would be 3 to 4 hours (without getting disconnected after 3 hours btw), so I'm hardly classed as a 'heavy' user.

If I WERE to get the letter, I think I'd kick up a bit of a stink.

By the way- I hear they are now denying the option to their existing subscribers of changing the number that they dial up from... just another way of slimming down their user base, perhaps..? - this is annoying if it's true as I want to do exactly that (- reactivating an additional line in the house which was disconnected and using that instead of the main line).

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I said in another post that when I moved last July they wouldn't let me move my account, I had to close it and open a new one for the new number - I assume things haven't changed since then especially now they're trying to get rid of people!!

No letter for me this morning but our post is always late anyway,

Out of curiosity how many hours are showing up on your bills - my last one was 70
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Nope, I didn't - and I certainly wouldn't expect to as the most I would get to use their service would be 3 times weekly and the absolute longest I'd be on for one session would be 3 to 4 hours (without getting disconnected after 3 hours btw), so I'm hardly classed as a 'heavy' user.

If I WERE to get the letter, I think I'd kick up a bit of a stink.

By the way- I hear they are now denying the option to their existing subscribers of changing the number that they dial up from... just another way of slimming down their user base, perhaps..? - this is annoying if it's true as I want to do exactly that (- reactivating an additional line in the house which was disconnected and using that instead of the main line).

</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

hours dont show up on my bills
    anyway its all crap, its seems clear to me that anbody that uses esat OVER THE NATIONAL AVERAGE is getting this leter, i just saw a guy and he uses it for work, 6 hours a night and he got it, **** all downloads,
    the national average is 4 hours a week, now that over 3.5 million were 2 million dont have interent and the rest are plit mostly to eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Number of hours is in a funny place - on the back of one of the bill's pages, wouldn't think I'd be the only one to get it.

You're prob right, be interesting to see where they draw the line though
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:
    hours dont show up on my bills
    anyway its all crap, its seems clear to me that anbody that uses esat OVER THE NATIONAL AVERAGE is getting this leter, i just saw a guy and he uses it for work, 6 hours a night and he got it, **** all downloads,
    the national average is 4 hours a week, now that over 3.5 million were 2 million dont have interent and the rest are plit mostly to eircom
    </font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ConUladh:
    I said in another post that when I moved last July they wouldn't let me move my account, I had to close it and open a new one for the new number - I assume things haven't changed since then especially now they're trying to get rid of people!!

No letter for me this morning but our post is always late anyway,

Out of curiosity how many hours are showing up on your bills - my last one was 70

</font>

I don't recall exactly how many hours were on my bill last time, but I think it was less than 20.

The last time I moved was moving back in with my parents, and at the time Esat were quite happy to let me change the number on my account from which I dialled up - took about a day to process at the time.

I just rang them a few minutes ago and got confirmation that NO, they will NOT allow existing customers to change the number that they dial up from! - They now say that they would treat that as a new application, and they are not taking new applications as they are no longer marketing or selling the NoLimits service and are in fact trying to phase it out.

Bloody disappointing, to say the least!

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Image, 157kb:
    esat.jpg
    I am fvcking OUTRAGED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Right everyone who got the letter I'd encourage you to set getright to disconnect at 8am and start downloading crap like you've never downloaded before.

I for one am going to be leaving it on every single night until May 31st.
    I'm aiming for at least 80 hours a week constant downloading here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Someone suggested on the iiu that if you are over 12 hours usuage you shall get a warning letter, threatening to kick you from the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have a couple of gigs of stuff I plan on gettin before htey kik me for good im gona leave it runnin non stop now in the evenings and weekend.Hell they cant kik me twice lol.

Thing I found funny was the way they blamin us peeps for causin the service to be crap for the others!The f.uckwits cant seem to see that they oversubscribed and didnt have the cabilities to deal with all of them.

Ah well lets hop UTV bring in the flat rate soon!

[This message has been edited by Ronan|Raven (edited 30-04-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greenbean:
    Someone suggested on the iiu that if you are over 12 hours usuage you shall get a warning letter, threatening to kick you from the service.</font>

Is that 12 hours a day or 12 hours in the week?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

12 hours a month

Btw being abusive about things doesn't solve anything. Esat is well aware that they are over subscribed, that its hardcore users that give use up loads of the bandwidth and that for the next 6 - 12 months they'd get no good out of this loss leader. I fear though that this will cause much more bad press than it is worth. This can only force the **** current irish setup even more into the limelight - perhaps something esat want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

yep, i got the letter.

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

has anybody not got the letter yet.
    it seems that nearly all the people i know got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Got it.
    I might get it framed and put on the wall of my room.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pat kenny:
    Got it.
    I might get it framed and put on the wall of my room.
    </font>

damn, kinda make me wish i hadnt wiped my ass with mine, maybe the next one they send me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I saw that dam little esat fusion logo and I knew what it was.. frown.gif

All in all is all we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If everybody here got it and most of the people on the OPEN list got it - who does that leave?
    I feel almost physically sick!
    Does anybody know if Chorus will be rolling out their Internet service soon? I'm looking for alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

chorus is ******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Professor

Whoever was responsible for the decision to send out these letters can expect to be kept very busy for the next few weeks ? I wonder when they'll get a call from Joe Duffy ? I can understand that maybe they are losing money on Surf No Limits, but if time spent online is the issue then why not introduce a reasonable time limit and no, 75 hours a month isn't reasonable, for a No Limits product was surely aimed at heavy internet users. Or otherwise, they could have altered the structure of Surf No Limits so that users that surf for over X hours pay one price and heavier users pay more still, in other words if their costs exceeded their income, then they have two choices, cut the costs or increase their income.

But internet services aren't ESAT's core business, phone services are and 'dumping' thousands of subscribers for breaking 'arbitrary' rules on usage, while it may save them some money in the short term on their No Limits product, will almost certainly cost them more long-term.

It may be a generalisation, but internet use is highest among the younger age groups, so they will be hit hardest by the cull of Surf No Limits members, thereby creating a large group of young people that loathe ESAT and all their services, not just now, but for many years to come. I know that in the future, if this decision to discontinue my Surf No Limits subscription is acted upon, I will never signup for any ESAT phone services either fixed line or mobile and I will actively discourage my friends and business colleagues at every opportunity from doing so.

I think in years to come, what is happening now with ESAT will become a case study for management and public relations students in universities throughout the country. But credit to someone, most people only have the opportunity to anger a handful of people in a day, here in a few seconds, someone in ESAT has infuriated thousands.

clap....clap....clap.....

The Professor understands, esaat could ovver me the world, as soon as utv hits or ntl offere me a 24/7 flate rate im going,
    im am willing to pay dubble rather then stay with esat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

if you ring them up and give them your name then they wont disconect you but if you go over the 75 hours a month after that your gone for good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

Yeah, I got the infamous letter too. I can't say how glad I am that Esat discovered the source of NoLimits sh**iness of service, and it was me all along. And I would've gotten away with it too, dammit, if it weren't for those meddling kids! </Mr.McGruder>

Nice move, Esat, alienating the Irish hardcore 'net user base (is 75hrs/month hardcore?). Most of us would've paid up to £30/40 anyway, it'd still be cheaper than Eircom for us bandwidth-rapists.

What the hell, this is how the cookie crumbles:

-PR Disaster for Esat
    -UTV internet (or any other white-knight wannabe) scoops up the wreckage (?)
    -(Metaphorical)Tea and crumpets all round, except for those kiddies at Esat/IOL/whatever, who scoff sh** sarnies in Hell

I think I can live with that wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Griff667 (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I got the letter today.
    I knew what it was before i even opened the thing.
    I think some kind of warning of "over-usage" would have been in order.
    If they had given me a warning i would have reduced my usage in accordance with that.
    I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow morning and see what the story is.
    But to be honest the service is rubbish at the moment so it's no real lose apart from the money saving element.
    I'm sure it won't be long before something else comes along. Here's hoping anyway.

i did, they want me to pay £90 for thegold offer, and there low low rate calls, this is aload of bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Yeah I got it this morning, they offered me the Gold service which they can stick up their ar$e.

Still, I have a whole month to cost them as much money as is humanly possible.

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

i cant see how i can improve,
    ill coast them 120 a months as it is and downlaod 2 gigs a week, maybe i can start sendign hundreds of email out every hour and **** up there mail severs.
    anyway ill go with NTL for the weekend (as its flate rate)and oceanfree or eircom for weekdays

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

you still get the 2hr disconnect with the NTL for the weekend's
    but I would defenly recamend this company, I'm on their service a few month's now, and todate I have only gotten 2 engaged tones, and their service is excellant smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka:
    Yeah I got it this morning, they offered me the Gold service which they can stick up their ar$e.

Still, I have a whole month to cost them as much money as is humanly possible.

</font>

Amen to that.

I got a letter today and as soon as I SAW IT WAS FROM ESAT I KNEW WHAT IT WAS!

F.uck them the shower of pric.ks

Ah well looks like ill have to ge the NTL weekend service.

I am gona ring em up adn eat the faces off em it wont do any good but itll make me feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

yah I got the letter, this country is a f*ckin disgrace with the current situation for internet users....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dont have snl never did cause i got my isdn a good while back and have been using it but i was looking forward to a isdn access simular to snl that they were going to be offering . but after seeing everything that they have done today i think i wont bother with it if they will still be doing what they are doing now . then . frown.gif
    o well back to the drawing board maby ill get a cople of hundered miles of cable and connect myself to bt

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Good point about the mobile number Devore. I just reposted it verbatim from a public maillist. I'm sure that once he got a few calls on it he switched it off. It shouldn't be too hard for him (of all people) to get a new number.

Still, he should be accountable for this decision. His name is on the letter and the buck has to stop somewhere. I have no problem with people ringing his work number. As, I'm sure, neither do you.

K

rolleyes.gif

Advertisement