Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fill in the gaps

Options
  • 19-06-2002 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be replacing my car soon, but I'm worried about transferring the insurance.

Basically, when I buy the new car, I'm going to fit an alarm, stereo and phone kit - all of which will drive the insurance up or down. I don't want to be arsing about getting the insurance adjusted every five minutes, but if I didn't get the insurance transferred straight away and had an accident......

I have driving other cars on my policy, but it won't cover me if the car is in my own name. What I'd like to do is drive the new car for a few days before transferring the insurance, but don't want to be without insurance cover on the new car. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know a way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Basically, when I buy the new car, I'm going to fit an alarm, stereo and phone kit - all of which will drive the insurance up or down. I don't want to be arsing about getting the insurance adjusted every five minutes, but if I didn't get the insurance transferred straight away and had an accident......

FAIK adding a stereo/phone kit and not telling them about won't affect the level of your insurance - it'll just mean that you're not covered for these items if the car is a write-off

Car alarm (or an immobiliser with most companies) will most likely bring down the cost, don't know by how much though

For the second part of the query I couldn't think of a proper way around it, legal or otherwise, short of having someone else buy the car, entering their name in the tax book and then you buying the car off them after. Not a good solution obviously - it'll take time to do all the transferring and there'll be an additional name before yours in the book, which will likely affect the value.

If you have an understanding indurance company you could organise to have the insurance transferred back and forth between the cars for a few days. Might also be outside the terms of your policy though. GF transferred her policy to and from my car a few times over the course of a weekend a while back so she could drive it and hers during the same weekend (at no charge even though hers is a 1.0 and mine is a 1.4) - patient insurers there obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger

I have driving other cars on my policy, but it won't cover me if the car is in my own name. What I'd like to do is drive the new car for a few days before transferring the insurance, but don't want to be without insurance cover on the new car. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know a way around it?

Just tell the insurance company or broker, they'll tranfer cover on a temporary basis =, then send out the forms for the new car, that should give you enough time to get the work sorted.

As was pointed out be Sceptre, any non standard stereo will not be covered unless specifically mentioned on your insurance form. I had the CD player from my old Carina nicked, but I had it written on the form, but the insurance co said I wouldn't be covered, so I had to produce my p/copy of the filled out form, to get my cover. B@stards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Borzoi

Just tell the insurance company or broker, they'll tranfer cover on a temporary basis =, then send out the forms for the new car, that should give you enough time to get the work sorted.

That sounds like what I wanted, thanks.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    I had the CD player from my old Carina nicked, but I had it written on the form, but the insurance co said I wouldn't be covered, so I had to produce my p/copy of the filled out form, to get my cover. B@stards

yeah - bastards

Advertisement