Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland of the rip-offs exposed by new survey

Options
  • 19-06-2002 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone see the Irish indo today? Front page? Although it relates to groceries and the demon drink it makes interesting reading.

"A shocking new survey has revealed the true extent of rip-off ireland"

I got to thinking when looking at the overgrown rodent on the stage last night when the irish team returned to dublin, there they are Eircom just milking and preying on peoples good nature and ignorance. Its one reason why I wore a non eircom Irish football jersey during the WC.

Would it be possible for the board of IOFFL to contact the INDo and illustrate another way that the good irish people are being fleeced by the fat ugly good will robbin rodent that we have all grown to hate.

One last thing..i would really appreciate if someone could advise me on this coz those slick talkers at eircom always get me with their marketing speak.

The question: For the last year and a half I feel my line is being split with the above apartments..I constantly get connected between 32.000 and 34.000 KBPS I have never connected faster. I have three times rang eircom (They own the line) and assked them if they could change it as it is obviously degraded, I hang up they call back an hour later to say that It must be my ISp (NTL)
    Its is not NTL I have used my account on another computer 2 streets up and get connected at 48.000 KBPS.......help!!!

Sorry for the long winded gripe and help request.
    Id better go I have been online for 18 min 46 secs

Cheers

Fergal

PS thanks TIZLOX for the SIG. I use it at work and home.

Amount you spend staying online 24/7 for 30days on eircoms 56k subscription service - €720.6

Amount a british user spends staying online 24/7 for 30days on BT's 56k subscription service - £20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

There is definetly some sort of split on your phoneline, doubtful if it involves your neighbours though, unless you all have the same phone number. In my home we have one main Eircom phoneline port. If i connect my modem directly to this , i will get online at 49k. Now We have a 2nd machine, and if it is also connected directly to this same port it too will get that speed. But if we "split the line" using a 2 port jack., Both machines when dial up seperately of course, get on at 34,000 Max.

See if you can follow the wire in your place, do u have a 2nd phone line coming off it, that might be causing the "split"

as for them saying its NTL, we all know thats rubbish, but why not go and dial up to the EIRCOM number , and prove them wrong, altough u'll have some fun trying to get connected cuz thats always bloody busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The indo like everything else of importance is owned by Dr. AJF O'Reilly ergo they never bad mouth eircom to any serious degree, just some token window dressing. Look how they trash sky all the time. Again to tacitly promote chorus, a total disaster in TV. RTE must be craven to Dr. O'Reilly's companies too as they need the advertising revenue generated by Eircom indo etc. O'Reilly controls our lives whether we like it or not. The worst thing that could have happened was him gaining control of Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fmcgrath

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nope I dont have a second phone coming from the wall jack. I do however have a 2 port jack coming from the line. This is more out of convenience rather than neccesity.
    If I plug my modem cable directly into the line its physically loose and I always get the "No dialtone" error when dialling.
    If I plug into the 2 port jack and leave the phone connected to one port and the modem cable to the other, I pick up the phone ....listen for a dial tone and then dial the modem....hmmm.....longwinded. when I plug in the modem cable on its own,it involves wigglin,jigglin shakin it all about and maybe after 25-30 dial attempts I can connect with no great improvement in connect speeds.

Pity that everything in this country seems to be governed by politics. Eircom being the monopolistic power seem to hold all the cards at the moment even though what they are doing to residential market is criminal in regards of depriving families of a fantastic means of education,information,communication.

Seeing the way that Microsoft seems to be gunning ahead with its .NET strategy. meaning a close integreation between the user experience and the Web I feel they will have to look for greener fields when push comes to shove as most residential users wont have the speed and broadband needed to make it viable..and this in a country that hosts it European HQ!!!!

Ondafly I have tried your suggestion and just plugged my modem cable directly into the phone jack.

The results are none too suprising. Tried 2 separate modem cables just in case.The results are attached although the name of the .jpeg is a giveaway :)

what 'ya reckon....this the only phoneline in the apt.

by any chance are you using an internal modem ? I prefer the external modems, and for some reason, my US robotics 56k (which cost 30IR in www.dawncomputers.ie) always gets me a speed of over 42K , when of course its the only thing connected to the phoneline. I had an internal one, and it used to only get 36K max. Now im probably going off the point here, but are you using the latest drivers for your modem ?

maybe post the spec of your machine in ur reply.

proof in the pud, heres a pic of my connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My line is split in three after it leaves the socket - 2 of those splits go to computers, 1 goes to a phone and my connection usually boots along (for a modem) - and shows as being 52Kbps on the little connection applet.

Just thought I'd mention that...

Thanks once again Ondafly!! (and all)

Currently 31.2KBPS !!!
    I do have a 3Com 56k Internal modem. A screen shot of My hardware device manger is included as an attachment.

Seems whatever i have tried over the last year i constantly get connected around 32.000 to 34.000 KBPS.
    I used connect to Esat officelink 1891 134134 but this gave an even worse connection speed. I refused to use that number (even when cheaper as its a subscription number) because it appeared on my Eircom bill. I refuse to give Eircom one more penny than I need to. As soon as soon as I have a choice I will have nothing to do with them.

Used to use Internet connection sharing with 2 networked pc's (only one with modem) but this was unviable for obvious reasons.
    Am getting a new PC monday with a new modem,will be interesting to see what type of connect sppeds I get then.
    If they are in the same range I cant but Imagine that I will have to call Eircom again. The fault has to lie with them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Fmcgrath

The question: For the last year and a half I feel my line is being split with the above apartments..I constantly get connected between 32.000 and 34.000 KBPS I have never connected faster. I have three times rang eircom (They own the line) and assked them if they could change it as it is obviously degraded, I hang up they call back an hour later to say that It must be my ISp (NTL)
    Its is not NTL I have used my account on another computer 2 streets up and get connected at 48.000 KBPS.......help!!!

You're lucky! For about the same amount of time, I get a speed of 28,800bps. Always. Never faster, never slower. Looking at the telegraph pole behind house, where once there were only about 6 lines, there are about treble that now with one thick cable as the main "feed":mad: Don't think there is much I can do as voice works OK.

running a LAN here too between 3 machines. the internal modem on the DELL was so inconsistent with its dialup speeds. i built 2 other machines, one with the external modem, and its set to dialondemand proxy. so always gets the good old d/load speeds of 42K+ . It will b very interesting to see any improvements u get on the connection speed with the new machine. But i have a feeling something is messing the line. My neighbour cant get any better than 34K+ , but they have phones all over the house , done by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

you lot are so lucky. my speed is 16800bps. My neighbours are the same. This time last year my speed was 52kpbs but it has dropped gradually to this ridiculous speed do you think a phone call to eircon might work?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Bard
    My line is split in three after it leaves the socket - 2 of those splits go to computers, 1 goes to a phone and my connection usually boots along (for a modem) - and shows as being 52Kbps on the little connection applet.

Just thought I'd mention that...

Different thing, your line is split three ways but there's still only one number - one line, one number. Other people have theirs split into two lines at some point using a DACS box, so there are two lines using the same copper pair, which is different from the setup you have.

(I'm sure someone else can explain this a bit better. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by mocar
    my speed is 16800bps

same as myself. it is a disgrace. there are lots of houses feeding off the same pole. the rate houses are going up around here you'd think they'd upgrade the phone lines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    the rate houses are going up around here you'd think they'd upgrade the phone lines

How can they when they don't have the money to do it? All the Eircom bigwigs are taking every penny they make in profit and shoving it into their pockets, leaving nothing left to do any proper upgrading/maintenence. If Eircom was run properly and they invested the profit properly we'd all have ADSL by now! :D

Advertisement