Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics :(

Options
  • 19-06-2002 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

That economics exam was absoluetely terrible. The first thing was the shorts, my teacher gave us a hand out and said if we learned it fully we'd have minimum of 7 shorts covered. I learned them all and it only covered 4 1/2. Guessed the rest, hope i got something out of it

First long question i did was the market structure. For the first time ever short term equilibrium was asked, our teacher told us not to bother learning short run equilibrium cause it never came up. Luckily i didn't trust him so i was ok for that question. Most in my class had no idea for this

second long was the elasticity. Again it was the hardest elasticity question in recent times. Thank God i practice some tricky elasticity Q's from Science Plus mag, they got me through it thankfully

Third question was Q2 the cost curve ones which were totally unexpected by most. (a) and (b) were grand but what the hell was (c) about? Social costs to building roads?!

Fourth Q was Q8 about the economy. I had no intention of ever doing this question but the crappyness of the paper forced me into doing it. It wasn't too bad when i got into it though

Where was the national income question, where was economic development, where was economic objectives etc? Most importantly where the f**k was my Economics teacher this year. He totally screwed us up today with his tips and his boasts about 25% A1's this year.

My hopes of securing any A1's this year disapeared with Economics today.

By the way i repeated in Bruce college Cork this year. I would suggest that anyone who knows anyone who is thinking of going there to think again. Ever since all the decent teachers went to Hewitt the place has gone to pot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

Yeah it was a bit of a bollox that paper...

No taxation
    No Growth and Development
    No National Income
    No Aims, Policies, Conflicts.....

I thought there would be at least two long questions out of them 4.... but no, there wer none, zero think i got the guts of full marks for the Elasticity and for the Cost of Prduction but Perfect Competition and Int. Trade were both fairly dodgy. Section A not great either......

Ah **** it sure theyre all finished now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Exam was fine.
    Market structure = sweet
    Elasticity = sweet
    Banking = sweet
    Labour and stuff (Q8) = ok
    Shorts got 7 done so thats sorted too :)
    Social costs to building roads?!

That would be destruction of environment, pollution, noise and other common sense stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Molly
    Exam was fine.
    Market structure = sweet
    Elasticity = sweet
    Banking = sweet
    Labour and stuff (Q8) = ok
    Shorts got 7 done so thats sorted too :)

That would be destruction of environment, pollution, noise and other common sense stuff.

Yea i wrote about that.....

Congrats on your A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Check ur pm Rash pls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I replied

• Advertisement

yeah i got 83% in my mox id say i got about 70% there , the best guy in the class who got like an A in the mox left in tears after an hour and a half

The problem was there was fukc all macro and lots of short questions which NEVER came up before , Our mock paper was a complete joke compared to that........but as ya said it all over now

THE WALRUS HAS SPOKEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Blarg, i got an A1 in my mock and there is no way i got an A in that. I'm really disappointed, I thought the short questions were really really long, but i knew the majority of them but it took time.

The rest of my timing went to pot, and i messed up on the perfect competition supply curve thing and I think i made a stupid mistake in my comparative :(

/me is not very happy considering this is what she wants to study in college :(

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

The exam was had many questions from the 1984 paper(the melt down bitccH of a year in economic circles).
    I did all the short questions with ease. But the Multipler questions and etc in the short Qs were alittle long. You would mostly expect to seem them as part B's in Section B questions...

Section B:
    Q1 - Expect to see Demand/Supply but its was a Perfect competition Q and it was EASY(definitly got 150 marks)

Q2 - Elasticity. Alot of tricky/techie bits to this Q but if you made up numberical examples it was grant.(this question had parts from 1984).

Q5 - Was told Banking/Monetary policy or the ECB wouldn't come up but it did. Got full marks in this q also me thinks

Q7 - Government AIms and the economy.... Was very topical and I am lucky that i watched that Charlie McReve interview the night before...

I think that the EConomics paper should be extended to 3 hours and maybe just throw in 2 or 3 more short questions and be asked to answer another 2...
    2 1/2 hrs was too short. I just got it all finished and felt alittle pushed for time.
    Pradicted result = A2

Advertisement