Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some books!

Options
  • 19-06-2002 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Im going heavy book shopping soon so quick replies would be nice. I want some excellent books, though I already have LOTR and all The Hitchhikers Guide books so dont bother recommending those.
    Some good horror would be nice, actually scary now. Comedy, I have a load of with Adams and Bryson but if theres some good humourous books you know about please do recommend. Anyway basically- NAME REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD BOOKS please. If you do Ill send you love in a box

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

personally I enjoy biography's:
    an excellent one i read was Brendan Behan's
    Borstal Boy (5 star rating personally)
    another one that is in my top five is Jack Kerouac's biography
    or even his book "on the road" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tad williams - otherland, great series of sci-fo 4 books

for comedy, pratchett of course :) "good omens" is a great book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The "a song of ice and fire" series by George R.R. Martin. Everyone who's read it agrees all the books are just amazing so it'll fit under the really really really good books category you are looking for. Listing them in sequence...
    A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings
    A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow
    A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold

Hammer of the gods - biography of Led Zeppelin
    they call me muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

check out Amazon.co.uk

click wishlists and search for "Fionnuala Gibney" and thats the best list you'll get :)

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Get Fight Club , by Chuck Paulsomething , its a great book.
    Get The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
    Use of Weapons - Iain M. Banks
    Donald Westlake - Payback
    I am Legend - Richard Masterson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

2 books I heartily recommend .....

both true accounts of events.

"Band of Brothers" - following the tv series of the same name (or rather .. the tv series following the book of the same name)

"ChickenHawk" - a helicopter pilot's experiences in the Vietnam war. Some of the stuff in this book is SOOOOOO f*cked up its actually hysterical. Very good reading though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Why don;t you just go into a bookshop and look around until you find a book you like the look of and buy it - get the book that just jumps out at you most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Get The Colour of Magic and start reading the Discworld Series (in order ) :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

cant forget jim morrison's biography! (the door's singer ofcourse);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by Chowmein
    Get The Colour of Magic and start reading the Discworld Series (in order ) :)

This here is a heartily endorsed good, and or, service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Spanks for all your help so far, your boxes of love should arrive shortly. Potential books to buy now include:

Snow Crash
    Northern Lights
    The Silmarillion
    Couple of Discworld books (Have heard nothing but good things here)
    Will check into the 4 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books
    Otherland (This intruiges me)
    And of course, 'The Salmon of Doubt' by the man himself (R.I.P)
    Ill also have a gander at whatever grabs my fancy as yer man above suggested

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Otherland (This intruiges me)

good man :) you sure as hell won't regret it./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Check out Gabriel Garcia Marquez - try 1000 years of solitude is proper literature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Go grab a load of classics for 1.50 each.

Humour (other than Pratchett)

Well Remembered Days - Arthur Mathews
    The Onion books - particularly Our Dumb Century
    The TvGohome.com book
    Best Of Myles - Flann O'Brien
    Mondo Desperado - Pat McCabe
    Against Nature - JK Huysmans
    The Fist Of God - Tom Brezneski
    In A Glass Darkly - Sheridan Le Fanu (19th century horror with funny bits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by yankinlk
    Check out Gabriel Garcia Marquez - try 1000 years of solitude is proper literature

Yeah! I just came on here to recommend Love in the Time of Cholera. I don't know how Gabriel does it and I'm not even sure what he does but it's just magic.

Haven't read One Hundred Years of Solitude but it's next on my to do list.

Oh and as regards buying books - come to the book shop where I work would ya! It's small and local.

You can bring your box o' love there and I can take it off your hands.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Funny books eh?

Check out anything by PJ O'Rourke. Some are better than others so you'll be wanting to look through your local bookstore (or bigger bookstore) for one you like. The last one I read was "Eat the Rich" - funny in a tragic sort of way.

And "The collected short stories of Roald Dahl" Not all funny but all good (nothing to do with his kiddie books - it's an adult collection (not that kind of "adult collection")) - get this from AMazon or wherever if you like - you will like it (everyone does)

And Robert Graves' "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God" - leaf through them and see if they're to your taste. I thought they were funny.

Both Forrest Gump books (the first one is mostly funnier than the movie) - second one is "Gump and Co" - both written by Winston Groom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I just spent ages tapping out an authortative lists of book titles the like of which man has never seen, a list to make men admire me and women want to sleep with me such was it's mix of the popular, the avant-garde and the classical.

When I went to post it it disappeared. Rassin frassin.:mad:

I couldn't be arsed writing it again so go read Iain Banks, Nick Horby and Neal Stephson while I lament.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

The anarchists cookbook, by anonymous. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

American Gods by Neil Gaimann.

Owns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro - Joe McGinniss

American lives with small Italian football team. Best sports related book ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Gates Of Fire by Steven Pressfield is a really good Historical Epic. Big, bloody and poignant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I-X Sandman by Neil Gaiman, just finished reading : highly recommended,

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Kurt Angle- It's True It's True
    Mankind- Have A Nice Day

Or any other wresting books they ain't all about wrestling they are quite funny and good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

Mein Kampf - hitlers book some weird ****

The Eagle Has landed - jack higgins (ww2 thingy)

Touch the devil -jack higgins(ira and british intelligence)

angel of death - jack higgins (IRA +loyalists and british special branch)

Bravo Two Zero - SAS book, half of it aint sposed to be true.... e.g. the 8 fellas didnt kill 250 iraqis but its still a leathal book, good insight into how the sas work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Midnyte Rambler

If you liike to get into a good series of books that will keep you enthralled for months on end you could do worse than check out the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice...starting with Interview with the Vampire and ending with (to date anyway) Blood and Gold ...I have read and re-read this series of books and still find new stuff in them every time. Also the Witching Hour series by the same author is also wonderful stuff. If you like dark gothic novels with a good splattering of history these are ideal.

Cheers and happy reading :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Midnyte Rambler

Thanks :-) Am actually searching for something like that to read at the moment...am at a loose end till I get back into Chapters and re-stock..:-)..so will check him out ...cheers :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 r0sc0

A couple good books that I would really recommend in vague catagories:

Light reading -
    Mario Puzo is fun, Omerta was my favorite.
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.
    Wilbur Smith (Monsoon) is cheap but quick and amusing.
    Dune by Frank Herbert is fun if you like sci-fi.
    Neuromancer and Virtual Light by William Gibson, also good sci-fi.

Quality Reading -
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk; lovely book.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy; lovely book.
    Crime and Punishment and the Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (two of my favorites.. Russian authors are great).
    Anything by Kurt Vonnegut; Cats Cradle and Breakfast of Champions are great ones.

Heavier Reading -
    The First Circle by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn. I cant really comment, you have to read it :)
    Beyond Good And Evil by Fredrich Nietzsche. I havent actually finished this, because its so big. Try it if you like philosophy.

Does anyone know of a place you can get coffee and sit down with a good book for a couple hours in Dublin?

Advertisement