Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some books!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Try the Hoggis Figgis Cafe on Dawson St. good goffee and they let you sit down with books off the shelves (don't ask me what happens if you spill some on them) they wouldn't let you smoke though the Nazis. Also Cafe Mocha has comfy seats and good coffe if you can ever get anyone working there to pay attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cafe mocha..
    mmm , lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Ten Men Dead - David Beresford

Amazing telling of the events leading up to the capture of each of the Ten Hunger Strikers of 1981, and then their struggle for Political Status within the H-blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

If you liked Herbert's Dune, Well's Timemachine or Arthur C.Clarke's Space Odyssey then you'll LOVE these ones:Invaders On The Moon - Kris Neville .
    Turn of the Screw -Henry James
    The Lurker At The Threshold - H. P. Lovecraft with August Derleth .
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hi here are a few of my suggestions

For horror

Shaun Hutson & James Herbert are OK if you are 12. It's hard to get good horror when you pass puberty.

Clive Barker (not to a lot of peoples taste but I think his sfuff is excellent)

The books of blood
    Imajica
    Weaveworld- These would be good for starters.

General

-The Eight- Katherine Neville. One of my favorite books. Would be really good if you like chess but not essential.

-Micheal Conolly (might be spelt wrong) Very good crime/detective novels.

-Jeffery Deaver- He wrote The Bone Collector, I haven't read it but the rest of his stuff is excellent.

-David Baldacchi He wrote Absolute Power.

Comedy

This is very difficult

-Robert Rankin
    -Terry Pratchett
    There are definitly more but I can't think.

Sci Fi/Fantasy

-Jeffery Donaldson- The Cronicles of Thomas Covenant (six books) These are just amazing.
    -Just about any Azimov
    -Philip K Dick

I can't really think of anymore but it's a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Clive Barker.
    H.G Wells
    Philip K Dick
    Jack Higgins
    Pj O' Rourke
    James Herbert

A must for any reader.

I'm not sure about Terry Pratchett, some people love him others hate his style of writting

What Tom Clancy Novels are worth a read, I'm on the look out for the Sum of all fears , but can't find it anywhere. So whats the best of his books that weren't made into film?

IMO his best book is far and away Red Strom Rising. It's plot is a third world war between America and the USSR when both were at the height of their powers. Absolutely fascinating. I enjoyed Cardinal of the Kremlin as well though it wasn't as good. His only other book which I thought was brilliant was The Hunt for Red October. Patriot Games, The Sum of All Fears and Clear and Present Danger are absolute trash. And steer clear of the that Ops Centre rubbish as well. Oh I'd highly recommend Rogue Spear for the PC as well ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jahras

I recommend Len Deightons books. Bomber is a great one and so are the 3 Bernard Samson trilogies. Berlin Game, Spy Line etc. Frederick Forsyths books are also good especially his short story book No Comebacks.
    If you like funny books I found some old Woody Allen books and found them hilarious in parts but I dont know if you would get them in a bookshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

jack kerouac -on the road
    books by ursla k. le guin, especially the earthsea trilogy
    Albert Camus
    Hemmingway- the old man and the sea
    john steinbeck-the pearl
    The Famished Road by ben okri
    (non fiction) fermats last theorem by simon singh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Well it depends what you like, I love science fiction, horror, fantasy and mystical stuff.

I also like some Historical stuff and conspiracy theories like what happened in Burma Bermuda or Colombia during the 60s and 70s.

Here we go

CS Lewis: Out of this planet
    Eric Lustblader: Sunset Warrior
    Estleman Gorman Philbrick: Blackmoon
    Iain Banks: Looking to Winward
    Arthur C Clarke: The city and the stars
    Bob Shaw: Love me tender
    Gene Wolfe: Excellent , but....hmm??
    Robert Cromie: ?? Irish author round the time of HG Wells....not sure of my favourite...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Why don;t you just go into a bookshop and look around until you find a book you like the look of and buy it - get the book that just jumps out at you most.

Yeah... those jumping books are f**kin' freaky... why I remember this one time that I... oh nevermind... :)

I'd recommend the books I've read recently, - which were Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and Eric Idle's "The Road to Mars". I'm currently starting "Billy" by Pamela Stephenson - it's good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would recommend Billy, got it for €2 from the book club, would have been happy to have pais €20. Well written and gives a great insight into Billy and his comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bernie_1974_10

Anything by James Patterson
    Richard North Patterson
    David Baldacchi
    Stephen King
    Dean R Koontz
    Minnette Walters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Anything by Bill Bryson
    Manslaughter United by Chris Hulme - bout a prision football team
    A season with Verona - Tim Parks

and of course

Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas

Anyone know if james herbert's "Magic Cottage" is worth a read?

I don't think any of James Herberts books are worth a read. Might go and add him to my punch in the face list on after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

If you like humor and have heard of big brother then read Ben Elton's Dead Famous. It's brilliant!

IF your into sci-fi read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanly Robinson (I think thats his name), you may have heard of them: Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars. They focus more on the human elements of the colonisation of mars rather than the technology.

-rob

Originally posted by Elvish
    IF your into sci-fi read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanly Robinson (I think thats his name), you may have heard of them: Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars. They focus more on the human elements of the colonisation of mars rather than the technology.

Currently rereading them. Truly brilliant books if you have the patience for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Best Book I've read in ages is called 'Nobody's Son' by Sean Stewart. Got it shipped from Amazon.com after reading a review on a Sci-Fi books website. To say I wasn't disappointed would be the understatement of the year. Small book too, but so so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

sorry to cut in...

can anyone recommend some really scary horror books? i've read a few horror books, mostly king and barker and was told they were really scary but, as enjoyable as they were, i was never really scared....

cheers,

kurdt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Robin Hobbs - Farseer Trilogy(or assasin trilogy)
    best books ive ever read...

Redemption of Althalus by Dave and Leigh Eddings is fairly good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Not scary books at all sorry, but I would recommend Enigma ( film with Kate Winslett now ) Fatherland and Archangel all by Richard Harris and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cowlren

modern fiction - probably on waterstones best sellers

hanif kureishi - intimacy, love in a blue time.
    ian mcewan - amsterdam, enduring love, atonement
    vikram seth - equal music, suitable boy
    coupland - microserfs
    tom wolfe - man in full
    andrew miller -ingenious pain
    arundhati roy -god of small things
    rushdie -midnights children
    proulx -shipping news
    coetzee -disgraced
    zadie smith - white teeth
    houllebeq - atomised.
    self - grey area

if your in for some popular thrillers can't go wrong
    with Tom Clancy or the old master Forsyth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FredDaFish

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it, I would highly recommend any book by Tom Holt, especially Snow White and The Seven Saumuri. :)

Advertisement