Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable Bitrate MP3s

• 19-08-2001 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a program (preferably which has a linux port) which can convert an already-encoded mp3 into a Variable Bitrate MP3? I've noticed quite significant file size differences between Single Bitrate and Variable bitrate mp3s (up to 1mb, which really adds up when you're talking about 8gb of mp3s), so I'd like to convert all my mp3s into Variable Bitrate mp3s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

realjukebox plus does it only the plus version not the basic version.but it only converts 1 by 1 so it would take u quite a while 2 convert 8gigs.search download.com u should find an app to suite you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

VBR is usually used to get higher quality into the same space, which you can't do to an already encoded Mp3. You'd have to set it to a lower target rate than the existing, and since you're putting the music through a destructive compressions system twice I think you'll notice a huge drop in quality.

Advertisement