Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I swear I should be getting more fps than this ...

• 17-08-2001 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

OK

Now i have a TNT2 32megs for starters. That is running on a 600mhz PIII with 256 MB RAM.
    So its not a bad machine. Not too bad anyway.

Now I've heard of people getting more than 30 fps in CS from a system like this but I can't seem to manage it. Any suggestions?

Oh btw, I have been trying to fix this for bleeding ages and have tryed 1,000's of things so don't anyone ask me have I turned vsync off or i'll 'cyberslap' you (?)

Win98 btw.

Cheers biggrin.gif

You know... call me pessimistic but i always thought it would end up this way...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

I could say try this n that but since you might have tried it already im gonna just send you these links smile.gif

Geforce TNT/TNT2 Tweak guide
    Half Life tweak guide

Good luck!

adnans

kent brockman: "... and while we're speaking of well educated manner they tend to use low brow expressions like 'oh Yeah' and 'come here a minute'.
    homer: "oh yeah!, they think they're better then us. bart, come here a minute!"
    bart: "you come here a minute"
    homer "oh yeahhh!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

very simple but ensure that u have net_graph off - it kills fps

/me expects slap wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Strat - consider yourself slapped tongue.gif

Adnans - better but been there :/

thx anyway lads biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You have a bog standard tnt2? tnt2 pro? tnt2 ultra? tnt2 m64? agp or pci? What res and graphics setting do you use? Why not download 3dmark2001, benchmark your system and compare it to what other people are getting with similar systems on the madonion site.

Nice!

Now we're getting somewhere.

I have a TNT2 ultra as far as I know and its agp. I'm using 600x800 on openGL which suits me the best cause you can see and its not too jerky.

And I will dl this thingy and see.

Cheers m8y biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

Holy Fookin Jesus it's 39MB. Gah.

This better be good cause it'll take my measly 56k about an hour to dl. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

you know how to put stuff in a command line of a short cut i presume
    /me expects cyber-slap™
    put -16bpp in it aswell as -heapsize (total ram minus 32000 for windows to runn on, or close enough to it)
    Also, turn off any sort of image enhancing bull**** in the display properties-> Advanced section. I'm not too sure about the TNT2, but I thought there was some rudimentary settings for mip-map leves etc.?
    Also, what version of Det3 drivers are you using?
    Wish i could help more but you have't given any more info. Sorry
    John

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I ran the benchmark..
    and I got 735 3D Marks..
    Is that good or Bad or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

is that 3DMark 2000 or 2001?
    I get about 5000 2000 3dmarks and around 1500-1800 in 2001....
    so yeah, it is kineda bad
    my spec P3 800 100Mhz FSB
    128 PC100
    GF256 32meg SDR Det3 6.50 drivers

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I used 2001
    my spec is 800AMD
    256ram
    32meg TNT2 model 64 pro
    40gb hd..

So I guess my system is below performance.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Your tnt2 ultra should be getting around teh 30-60 Fps Cloney...
    I have a tnt2 m64 in another machine (it was once in this...that once was yesterday) and i was getting 30-60 fps.
    I had teh Det 3 10.blah drivers and Dirx 8 installed but if u running opengl then dirx wont matter, The problem could be the Card itself, an Ultra should be averaging 50fps and only dropping to 30 during a gun fight...

All i can say is try the new detenator drivers and if your FPs is still the same it is card related...then again i aint no expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bit of a strange one, have a cel 500 here with a gef2 mx and get 60-70 fps with it in 800x600

the card might be an M64 which means it is a heap of p00 half the memory bandwidth does alot to explain bad performance, and they are sometimes marketed as just TNT2.

newest drivers are the best way to better performance, all these "enhancements" you hear of are bullsh!t alot of the time, and normally come at the expense of alot of visual quality.

Get the newest 12.41 drivers from www.nvidia.com the NON-WQHL ones) and run coolbits (www.geforcefaq.com) this will unlock alot of the options, u can get the opengl side to use 16 bit textures or overclock the card. Another thing is the motherboard if its a VIA chipset new 4in1 drivers generally provide good performance increases, if an intel mobo, just leave it, have a million tweaks, but thats all I can be bothered to write right now smile.gif

Cheers lads.

Thats pretty damn helpful.

The drivers I'm using are D3 12.41, the latest afaik. I tryed to run 3dMark2001 but I'm afraid it crashed my system one too many times frown.gif. Min requirements are 600mhz p3 as it says in the webby so I'm borderline anyway.

SyxPak, I think I've tryed the heapsize thing before but now that I think of it, it would have been before I got another 128MB RAM so I'll try it again.

And btw, its actually a model 64 pro as well (It is only marked TNT2) so I would expect it to have the same performance as OJ's as the systems are fairly similar. (bit more cpu speed but sure whats the difference - they were both fast 2 years ago smile.gif).

Well if that is all I can do than so be it. I'll have to be happy with it until I can scrounge a bit of £££ to but a new system.

I suppose, I can get my 56k to give me a ping of 120 on Irish servers so the comp must be doing the best it can biggrin.gif

And astrofool I will try this coolbits thing. Although i think i have something similar anyway.

Thanks for all the help lads and any more tips would be appreciated biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

This probably won't be much use but to anyone running a TNT2 your probably best searching for the 7.58(i think ) D3's as these are considered the best for the TNT2. after this most optimistations were geared towards GeForce and higher and I have heard that it is to the detriment of the TNT2's performance.

check out this site whiich is a pretty good source for all things NVIDIA although it is slow (must be hosted on a really bad connection)

http://www.m3dzone.com/

hope this helps..

Advertisement