Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language is this similar to?

Options
  • 19-06-2002 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Some of the syntax looks a bit like unix shell scripts...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A quick google search on some of the less common program terms in there would lead me to believe that its a thing called KCML.

You can find them at www.ktml.com

I had a quick look through the google cache of their release notes which mentions things like KI_FREE_HANDLE and PANIC which would not be the most usual of programming terms. You can find this doc here. Its about 1.6MB I think.

Hope that helps.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i'd learn VB if you don't know it.. seems to be the best bet.

the if-then blocks in the above are similar to VB... along with some of the syntax (<> for != etc.).. but again in parts its quite dissimilar. ($ after variablenames, DO)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I'd learn QBasic. Its an old DOS BASIC interpeter. Its as about as close as you need to get to learning something like what you descirbed. I'ld leave VB becasue it is nothing like what programming in BASIC used to be like.

To me that code looks like some BASIC derived language, so picking it up shouldn't be that hard. If you hack away at the code u'll pick it up easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Kali
    but again in parts its quite dissimilar. ($ after variablenames, DO)

VB used to let you define string variables with $ at the end of the name. Probbly still does. And it supports DO statements.

But in general, yeah. there's a "BASIC feel" about some of it.

Murcury_Tilt - there's not much benefit to looking for a language with is "like" this one. Just look for a language. If you're familiar with any programming language, then you will see the similarities with any other you choose to work with. Its all about logic - not syntax.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by bonkey
    VB used to let you define string variables with $ at the end of the name. Probbly still does. And it supports DO statements.

hmm didn't know that, so does VB allow DO statements in the above used-context? or is it just (as I had thought) in the case of DO..WHILE loops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

No Kali you're right, you can only use DO in VB in the context of DO-WHILE Loops.

I would also recommend that you learn VB (God what am I saying, I must be drunk). But as Keeks mentioned; "QBasic". It would use a more old fashioned BASIC type approach (similar to KCC). But then again, you never know, you might find VB useful for something again in the future, where as QBasic programmers aren't exactly in high demand :rolleyes:

But in this instance, it's definately not a C style language (Eg C/C++, Java, etc).

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...definitely has a feel of older variants of BASIC about it (between the "line numbers" phase and VB, say) but it's got a bit of a whole pile of other languages thrown in there...

For example, CALL (although I've never seen a CALL (something) TO (something) construct before) and RETURN and DO (I think it was terminated with LOOP, though? It's been a while) were first used in ForTran (IIRC) - as an aside, CALL is optional in many BASICs (as in, you can use it if you like, but the program will still work without it), the (condition) ? (value_if_true) : (value_if_false) construct is used in a number of C-like languages (one of which being Javascript, offhand, if you want to call that a language). Then there's the use of pointers in a BASIC-like language :eek:

(By the way, are the "\"s actually in the code? If that's the case, then they may be continuation characters - something ForTran used to have and VB does now (VB's is an underscore, for reference). If it's snotty about the lines of code being shorter than a certain length, unlike VB that just offers continuation characters for neatness, it's definitely got some ForTran roots...)

Basically, it seems to be a mess. Whoever designed this seems to have taken many of the worst and most obtuse programming practices and put them together in one package to give someone a coronary on demand.

I'd imagine Keeks is bang-on, though - something like QBASIC (go dig out a copy of DOS 5.0 or above or a Windows 95a installer CD somewhere - I think it's in the OLDDOS folder) is the nearest single language to this - many of the programming constructs are similar, but certainly not all. I've never seen something quite like that before, and believe me I've seen my fair share of languages (not that I've gotten any good in many, mind, but I've seen them)

Good luck, is all I can say...
    Gadget

Advertisement