Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are you working for the summer months?

• 19-06-2002 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Where are you working for the summer months?

I'm working in this delightful little hell:
    iwerkere.jpg
    also known as Merlin Park Hospital Galway.
    Its actually not that bad, but i am bored to tears.
    I'm in maintenance and the building that is circled is the maintenance building and power generator area.

I do get to break a lot of stuff which is nice. :)
    Does great things for tension and anger that breaking.......

So like i said, where do ye work?

PS: i know i posted this last year but i dont care. besides theres a couple of new members joined since then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Is it just cynical me or do places hire young people that they dont need?Take my local supermarket.Its not a huge one but it hires 35 full and part time staff.But when you go in theres never more than 2 customers.Half my friends seem to work there,but anytime i go in there sweeping the same part of the floor that they properly cleaned hours ago.They have nothing in particular to do once theyve done a bit of sweeping.No wonder the place was loosing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just got a job tonight, I will be laying those cobble driveways in the Dublin area for the next few weeks. Go me etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Panda
    I'm in maintenance and the building that is circled is the maintenance building and power generator area.
    Originally posted by Panda
    I do get to break a lot of stuff which is nice. :)
    Does great things for tension and anger that breaking.......

are you sure you know what you should be doing in your job, breaking or maintaining things??? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm currently unemployed.
    Can't find work in Galway.
    * might * have a job soon.

Fúcking compustore - handed in a shiv load of CVs and filled in the application form about 3 months ago.
    Then i see this foetus working in there, who knows bock-all about what he;s trying to sell, and it's sooooo apinfully obvious that the customer knows this too.
    Life's So Unfair.
    GIVE ME A CUSHY JOB OR GIVE ME DOLE!

I could have a bit of labouring work towards the end when everyone else is off on a beer cruise with the skangers down in santa ponza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

I gotta job in Microsoft for the summer:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i'm working in shoebox technology for the summer in galway(i'm the admin there and i get 1/2Mbit internet access :) )
    not 3 weeks here and i've my hard drive filled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No where ...

I'm savouring the joys of unemployment! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my summer will be nothing more than sitting in front of a computer, which has no internet access :mad: and learning things i know with years. it's a bit like asking a man who you see cycling if he would like to learn how to cycle. i will be bored to tears :(

the dole office forced me to do it :mad: bastards!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Im working in Permanent TSB in Sutton :) Tis a grand job the only problem is im standing all day other then that tis sweet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

super market butcher gal , i been there for the past 2 and a half years , its not too bad the money an the hours are grand ,,,,,,yip i flog dead animals for a living !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

same as always :D

Sitting in the irish academy of computer training www.iact.ie 'n' www.iactonline.com on stephen's green greeting students, supervising exams and sitting here browsing the boards :)
    replacing and fixing broken machines and upgrading software.

The rest of the time I'll be sitting in hyperlynx net cafe in Dundrum browsing the boards and making a few cups of coffee :) bit of re-imaging and possibly fixing there too, along with the cleaning on both premises :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Dunnes Stores, same as 2 previous summers. It's handy enough, the money's good and the work's not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm working on the top floor of this amusing looking building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

same as last summer: "counter-jockey" in local video store
    yay me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by tactical anni
    same as always :D

Sitting in the irish academy of computer training www.iact.ie 'n' www.iactonline.com on stephen's green greeting students, supervising exams and sitting here browsing the boards :)
    i went to that place last year for my Java Primer :) hehe you have a cushy job if youre the guy sitting at the reception doing nothing.

im working as a part time tech monkey in an internet cafe in swords.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Then i see this foetus working in there, who knows bock-all about what he;s trying to sell, and it's sooooo apinfully obvious that the customer knows this too.

I feel your pain John, because that store has got the worst record for hiring people I've ever seen. When I was in there looking for a modem the last day, I asked one of the local idiots some straight forward questions. He then proceded to show me how good he was at reading the text on the box. I bet he would be able to tell me it was a 56k V.92 enternal (serial) modem. But would he be able to tell me what a modem does :D

That place needs someone like yourself, and it's a cack that they can't get this in to their heads. Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a way to get companies like this to see how mad we're in to computers (/techology), and that we may know a thing or two beyond the average Joe that works for them. It's not people with computing degrees these places need, it's people like John & JP (Doodee), and a few others, that would work wonders in places like that.

Right, sorry I had to get that off my chest, because I once was in the same boat.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yeah but could you look a customer in the eye and tell him its €250 for a cd writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

According to my cv I'm an "Administrator of a busy Cyber Café" ;) in other word i sit on me ass all day on the interweb n get paid for it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Same here. aka Download Daddee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

im workin in the ifsc in the post room of a solicitors. smithers " GET READY FOR FUN FUN FUN...."

[also c bored beyond belief thread for more information and help passing the time in those little hellholes]

:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by azezil
    According to my cv I'm an "Administrator of a busy Cyber Café" ;) in other word i sit on me ass all day on the interweb n get paid for it!! :D

WOW, imagine that
    I have something similar on my CV
    cept it says "Admin for three Cafe's" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Quote;

"The rest of the time I'll be sitting in hyperlynx net cafe in Dundrum browsing the boards and making a few cups of coffee bit of re-imaging and possibly fixing there too, along with the cleaning on both premises "

I'll be joining Tack in the same location making sure he dose'nt fry his brain from all that CS.

Worked in a hell hole last summer. The Hibernian Hotel, Ballsbridge ( petrol bomber's take note ) . Manager was a twat, the other butler's I worked with were wan**rs, the assiatant manager's likewise, the customers were arrogant, selfish, rude, ill-mannenered slobs, save a small handful. I'd be walking along in the restaraunt and some red-neck southern ****er would snap his fingers at me, like you would a dog and would order a Bacardi, lucky for me I only gave him a Jewish measure of Rum and topped it up with disinfectant :D. The ba$tard did'nt notice a thing, I would'nt go as far as spitting in it btw, I ain't that mean :)

n.b. "I only gave him a Jewish measure of Rum" (thats not a rascist statement).

lucky for me I only gave him a Jewish measure of Rum and topped it up with disinfectant

Bravo mate ;)

It won't be long until someone puts that on the Coctails thread doing the rounds on the Food/Drink board, lol

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by Corega
    I ain't that mean :)

disinfectant eh..... hmmm :p
    nice one.

Galway is a btich for work this summer, there was loads of jobs available last year, but this year is the complete opposite.

I've been working in merlin for 3 weeks and i still dont know if i'll get a full summers work out of it because they're supposed to be something like that 1.2 million over budget. When i started i was only given a 2 week contract and since that i've been playing it by ear. :(

I see some of ye feel that ye have been hard done by by prospective employers but when your looking for part time summer work employers will only glace at your cv and then more than likey employ some relation or friend of a current employee.
    Like the saying goes, its not always what you know, its who you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

At the moment i'm doing data-entry crap for my dads ompany and a website for some security company. Only going to take me the next week or so, so i'm looking for something else, possibly workingin a deli (which should be amusing for ?*anyone* who knows me)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm in Quinn Direct Insurance this summer, down in the main cavan offices working in accounts which is strange because i always hated maths, its alright tho just sit at a puter all day sorting out policies and DD's...place is full of summer workers (over 40 in total i think) and we really do feck all.....i agree with whoever said that employers hire summer workers that they dont really need, but sure who's complaining!

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yeah adnans, that's the one, cushty alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

oh I wish I had a bloody job....living off of hand outs at the moment....not a good way to be when the Galway Arts Fetival is coming up....:(

You are right Panda, the amount of jobs available in Galway is a dissaster. Thankfully I predicted this a while back, and put some cash away for a rainy day. :cool:

Basically I'm just keeping my learning curve @ at a steady rise, while working on some open source software projects. Could have a few web sites thrown my way, but you know yourself, when people say they're going to sort you out, don't hold your breath (something I learned a long time ago). :rolleyes:

I can't say I'm bored because I always seem to find something to preoccupy myself. Anyway starting to ramble on... :)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

"counter-jockey" in xtra-vision meself
    tis good sit on your arse,serve a few customers watch sum videos
    and take home dvd's,games and videos
    allthough its busy and anoying on the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by phobos
    You are right Panda, the amount of jobs available in Galway is a dissaster.
    ??
    i have 3 ppl screaming for me?
    i'm working in the mervue business park(yeah for esat's 1MBit link :) )

think ppl are not looking in the right place

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahhh give me the days of summer work all over again...

meee, I'm working for the summer in the same place I've been working in since last summer, autumn, winter and spring...

overworked tech and general dogsbody in software house... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Hey man it really is hard to find work in Galway at the moment....none of the shops around town are taking on anyone and most of the factories are downsizing....

It is a bit of a nightmare....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

A national sunday newspaper [atm]

Advertisement