Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessin Optical drives over the network

Options
  • 20-06-2002 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I can't access an optical drive on computer A from computer B over a ethernet network. It says "\\xxxx\cd-rw is not accessible. Not enough storage is available to process this command."
    what should i do resolve it. Its only the optical drives can't be accessed, the zip drive is grand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Optical drive eh ? That's a confusing term. Anyway.
    I gonig to assume you aren't trying to copy on to it or anything crazy like that.
    Check the source machine for diskspace free on windows..

if no luck, have a look at www.ntfaq.com for lots of windows networking answers. I'll assume you are using some form of windows.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You can increase the IRPStackSize value. You must first add this value to the following key if it is not already present:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Value Name: IRPStackSize
    Data Type: DWORD
    Default: 0x4
    Maximum: 0xC

Increasing this value requires some memory from the non-allocated memory pool, but the impact should not be noticeable.

NOTE : It is not always advisable to set the IRPStackSize value to its maximum of 12. Generally, you should start the value at 4 and work your way up, increasing the value by 1 each time. The problem may still occur if the value is too high.

This error message may also occur after installing or uninstalling virus-scanning software. You may want to remove the virus-scanning software or increase the IRPStackSize if you need to use the software.

The above is from technet.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q225782

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Would the fact that one machine is a P4 2GHz, 512Mb PC800 RDRAM, WinXp. (CD-RW, DVD ROM are the drives that can't be opened) and the other machine is a P2 233MHz, 192Mb PC66 RAM, Win98SE. (CD-ROM can be accessed by the other machine)?

Advertisement