Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Capture Card Advice Sought

• 20-08-2001 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I had a wintv card which although was ok for tv watching sucked at vidcapping! I wanna get a card that is win2k compatible that is decent at capping video! If it has tv out too then all the best. A simple PCI card is all I need as I got a decent 3d card already. Has anyone any advice? I am tempted to get an ATI TV Wonder (cheap at the mo) although I hear that the software sucks and they are 98 only compatible (the ATI site seems to confirm this!).

Anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Spinnar2K, you say that you're WinTV card sucked at video capturing, i've a questions on this..

1) What format were you capturing to, raw,huffy, mpg,divx/avi ?
    2) How fast is your cpu, makes a MAJOR diff to capturing
    3) Next importand, is you'r hard drive fast, if its a standard ide then it should really be one of the 7200 rpm models (preferably an IBM) and ideally a raid 0 setup, or scsi
    4) Yor mentioned that you are thinking of the ATITV wonder..which presumably you are thinking of capturing tv shows..which brings me to the next point..source..this is a major problem in Ireland (again another assumption), cable or antenna pictures just won't cut it in terns of quality , while it looks good on a tv screen, on your pc it will suck at typical viewing distance, it really frustrates me too.

If you want to see what quality you can get with a good source on a WinTV card(radio in his case) grab one of daywalk3rs music vid rips on #uva (efnet).
    Basically unless you are able to capture from satellite, i would not spend huge amounts on a capture card here, an ordinary WinTV setup correctly with VirtualDub will do the job fine, it does a fine job on the Simpsons and other cartoons, but more demanding images such as miusic vids on mtv or starttrek are just to blurry, and far to noisy to convert to mpeg without serios blocking effects.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spinnar2k

I had a loan of the wintv card and it just didnt work out for me. My HD is fine and I have a p3 600 with 128meg ram so that wasnt a prob. I think I prolly should have tried to cap audio seperate with something like audio dub as I was trying to cap both video and audio at the same time through a composite output (I use the video which gave a great signal btw).

I wanna card that can do the capping nice and easy to mpeg! Anyone recommend an ati tv wonder?

Advertisement