Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCP/IP Security Question

Options
  • 20-06-2002 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Chaps I wonder could you help me with something. My new pc arrives today and in order that I can transfer all my files (gigs of q3, cs etc mods and updates) I have decided to network the two pc's using 10/100 nic's and some crossover cable. Following a good read of the instructions on www.helmig.com (excellent site btw) I have decided to use the Tcp/Ip protocol (new pc will have xp on it while the ld one is win me). I'm all set to go but then I noticed a warning on www.homenethelp.com about the dangers of opening up files to the entire internet when using this protocol.

Now to be more specific, the warning came in a tutorial on sharing files using tcp/ip where Internet Connection sharing was already enabled and a broadband connection was in place WITHOUT a router. Would the same warning apply where I network the two pc's but they both have their own internet connections (ISDN TA's in both pc's)????

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Regs

Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

if you are only going to move the files across just the once & then disconnect then theres no probs but if you leave both pcs on & have them connect via crossover then there is a chance (small one at that)that someone could access both pcs ( but in reality this would be very rare, I would be more scared of a virus, but with a decent firewall or a virus checker like norton on the pc you are using to access the net there shouldn't be any problems

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you share the folders then yes, to a certain degree they are accessible.

With Win2000/XP the person connecting will need a username/password to access any share. If you ensure all shares are not shared to everyone, but to an individual user you are grand.

If it is windows 9x/ME then any files shared without a password will be accessible. There is an option in the network neighbourhood properties to unbind file & printer sharing from your internet TCP/IP connection.

Plugging out the wire will not stop any share being shared.
    If you are really worried about it, look around for a firewall call tiny personal firwall. It's nice, small and simple.

You can get it to deny any traffic from outside your network and allow all internal traffic. Any more questions stick em up.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Ok Verb

Lemme get this straight.

Old PC with files -> Windows Me

New Virgin pc -> Windows Xp pro.

In order that I can see the Windows XP box thru' the Old pc, I will need to create an account on the XP box, allow this to share files and folders, and then ensure that when I log on to the Old pc, I use this account to log on?? When sharing drives etc I merely restrict sharing to this particular account??

To see the Windows ME box thru' the new pc I merely have to enable sharing (dont need an account) but obviously to prevent any outside attack I would password protect it. How secure is this protection btw??

Finally, what about Zonealarm as a firwall?? I hear a lot about this and I think its free??

Q

Yup Quorthon, that's the one. The password is reliable enough,
    there's no easy way to 'hack' it as a pose to brute force, trying lots of passwords.

Zonealarm is meant to be decent alright. Haven't used it myself.

Gav

Thanks a mil verb, Ill let you know how I get on.

BTW (and you'll come to regret appearing knowledgable on this) is it possible to link up the two pc's with just a x-over and 2 nics where one is linux (say the old one) and the new one remains xp??

Reason I ask is that the old pc is currently dual booting windows me/mandrake 8.0. I plan to make it a dedicated linux box when my new pc is fully up and running so I can play around/experiment etc. Now I have often found in the past a need to do things in windows and just mount the windows drive in linux and transfer the files accross, but obviously if I make the pc dedicated linux (probably mdk 8.2 (free with this months pc plus :D) I will want to be sure I still have a way of doing this.

is there any sites that tell you how to do this?

Q

• Advertisement

hehe don't worry bout asking questions. Work is proving awkward at the moment. Being able to answer questions is a nice change :)

Yup, there won't be any problems connecting the linux machine to XP. There is a linux program called Samba that basicly is like windows file & printer sharing for linux. You will be able to access the linux machine over the network for accessing files and printers just like accessing another windows pc.

Of course you will also be able to ssh/telnet/whatever into the machine too.

For stuff on linux ( if you have'nt come across it already ) have a look at www.netsoc.ucd.ie/LDP

Have a look at the Howtos on that site. Lots of information there for getting linux setup.

Gav

Well Verb,

Only got the new pc yesterday and didnt have a proper chance to set up the networking but things are looking good so far. The win me pc can "see" the win xp pc in network places and each machine can ping the other so I am nearly there- I just have to go and set up the sharing and so on for the winxp box and create an account to access it.

oooh my first adventure into networking!! :)

Q

Advertisement