Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Comp Advice

• 20-08-2001 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm planning on getting a new computer for myself.

I'm a poor student so really have a budget of about 800 quid. Bearing in mind though that I don't need a DVD drive or CD writers and don't really need a top of the line 3d card. I do mostly graphics stuff.

So, i'm wondering should I go build the bits and pieces myself or go for a second hand. I took a look at buy&sell and there are one or two decent ones there floating around that price.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

- Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

build it yourself.
    its a lot cheaper.
    if you really want a pre-built, go for a dell. dont buy a second hand pc unless you know the seller or know enough about pcs to have a really good look.
    but, like i said, build yourself one.
    its good fun too, in a perverted freaky kind of way smile.gif

your Dungeon Is Full Of Yoghurt.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

Research and more research is the way to go.

If you are going to buy your own PC make sure you stay in the Euro Zone for components etc. Don't buy in England (this is very tempting as most PC mags here are English) and read loads of new magazines, my personal favourite is PCPro.
    There are also lots of good deals on full systems around your price range just look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if its just a student pc . get somthn like a p2 400 128 ram 3+ gig hd bog standard graphs .

you should be able to find all that in the for sale board

also if your in res and your collage has net access in ur room you should get a 10/100 nic
    and rob the ip from the a computer in ur lrc
    what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 21-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i would tend to agree with whitewashman. prices are amazingly low. i went curious shopping the other day and was greeted by a host of reasonably priced machines but if you pick what you want and go shopping there is money to be saved.

i dont know if im allowed to do this but www.munstercomputers.ie seem to have some well low prices. go to crucial for ram. its cheap but its sterling.

hope that helped

j

Advertisement