Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links Etiquette

Options
  • 20-06-2002 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A query of a non-tech nature if I may. When trying to arrange return hyperlinks to one's website , what is the best approach to take? I s'pose a respectful email to the target website is a start, but should that email be of the "begging" school of letter writing? Or is it better to act all Big Swinging Dick and just send a curt request?

Like, if the target site belongs to a large org and your own one is a personal with small traffic will they even entertain ya? Did any of yiz try to organize a similar with a busy Irish site and what kind of response did you get?

Thanks in adv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There is nothing to be lost in politely requesting a reciprocal link from another site. I have done it in the past and will continue to do it in the future.
    The only thing that might stand in your way is the relationship between the sites. If there is no tangible 'link' between them then the bigger site stands little to gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like blacknight says, if there's a gain to the other site from listing yours then they'll go for it. If they run a big links section and your site offers something that'll add to theirs or if yours is a useful site for further information, they'll probably list it.

If they're a big organisation and there's nothing to gain from listing your site they probably won't bother.

I used run a college debating site which was well-known as pretty much the best to go to for information at the time. Plus it had a links section with thousands of links - other sites would link to it purely for the links section sometimes. If I had listed buseireann as a useful travel site for getting to intervarsities we were running I wouldn't have held out much hope of being listed there though.

Advertisement