Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a change of tactics ... maby?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

How quickly would you like the revoluation to be?

These things take time and they wont happen any faster by you stamping you feet and screaming "I want, I want"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I will say one thing..

Whatever is happening..
    its happening to slowly and alone.
    I have seen posts where committee members remind us its a voluntary group, being run in peoples spare time..

Fair enough..
    However there is more than the committee to consider here..
    Poeple that post on the board are just as much willing participants as the committee, and to indicate the committee is burdened in anyway is unfair..
    I have suggested that IOFFL have quarterly meetings, so as to get everyone together in one room to pull our resources and ideas and formulate put into effect, plans that will accelerate the process.

Posting on the board is fine except it lacks the real interaction of getting people into a room and realtime exchange of ideas etc...

NOTE: (committee "you are not alone, start to capitalise on your resource’s")

Bonecollector, we recognise the value of our resources and the need to communicate in an open manner. The core committee consists of five active (on a daily basis), we have had people drift away and leave over the last few months. We need more people on the committee (5 to 8 more) and decided that the best time to do this was at the AGM. We had moved the AGM back because of the World Cup, and now have decided on the 20th of July.

We been have concerned about our perception to others who view the comments on these boards as having come straight form the mouth of the committee. The fact that this is a members forum is overlooked by observers at times. Threats have been made against employees of the companies with whom we asked to meet with in the past. That is unfortunate and as far as I am concerned quite unacceptable. Its a fine balancing act, gaining respect from members and the industry, taking the anger from members and using it in a constructive manner. Because IOFFL are set up and lobbying in this area, we also become a target.

On the quarterly meeting front I'm all for it, and in the short term how about a virtual meeting using IRC for example. In fact how about we hold one on Sunday night? What would people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

8:30 ish on sunday would be grand for me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dangger
    We decided to reject sponsorship in the early days when it was offered, as we felt to accept it would have questioned our truly neutral stance.

And as I recall, at the Mercer Hotel meeting, the membership endorsed this decision pretty much unanimously (more to the point, I think the question was just put to them and they voted "hell no" pretty much unanimously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

On the quarterly meeting front I'm all for it, and in the short term how about a virtual meeting using IRC for example. In fact how about we hold one on Sunday night? What would people think?

I'm sure I'd be able to attend. Travelling out of my county (Kildare) isn't really a viable option for myself, and possibly for a few others in different counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭212.2.179.66

Originally posted by Dustaz
    legbreaker, we await with baited breath for his suggestions :)
    I am somewhat astonished at this remark Dustaz?? Surely to become a Mod you must have to read what is being said on these board first and at least have some understanding as to what is going on in these boards? It was you who suggested that I become more familial/acquainted with what's being said and done here? Surely you above all people must realise that its time to stop sleeping with the enemy (or are you just GAY!?) IOFFL have been 2 or more years in the making. In that time a lot of things have been learned.
    1. EIRCOM cannot be trusted
    2. The ODTR only tell us what we need to hear (not very often but just enough to keep us going)
    3. IOFFL do NOT have the support they actually think they have.
    4. Apart from here, no one knows about IOFFL.
    5. No one cares.
    6. Only a handful of people out of 1,000's give a damn.
    7. Only a 'FEW' people are trying to make a difference.
    8. The people that ARE trying to make a difference.... no one wants to help them. (thankless job)
    9. Everyone wants to sit back and just flow/not flow with the outcome.
    10. IOFFL have made a difference, I won’t deny that but its time to stop sitting back and waiting.
    11. Time and time again people on these boards have said the same thing. IOFFL needs to be funded. IOFFL needs to be FULL TIME and staffed by people that can give 100% to our aims.
    12. The only way to do this is to set up Offices where IOFFL can be contacted 24/7.
    13. IOFFL need to become and everyday issue amongst the people of Ireland. The only way to do this is through advertising. 14. IOFFL need to hold more and more protests. Right now IOFFL is but a 'FAILED' Blackout to everyone in Ireland.
    15. EIRCOM is a substantial company to be reckoned with but who makes them what they are? Isn’t it time we showed them?

If you need any more hints on how to make this actually work. Please read back on some of the threads that were posted here to try help IOFFL ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

And wher edo you propose that IOFFL gets the sufficient funding to do all this?

What you've described is something akin to a corporation.

I'm sure you have ample wonderous suggestions as to how to achieve all this and aren't just being an arm-chair "expert" critic??

Warning
    Hi

Just a friendly note to say Please read the rules of the forum. Feel free to complain, but do it once and dont keep harping on the same point.
    If this behavious continues, action will be taken.
    Thanks
    Dustaz
    ==============================================
    I have Read the rules. And if you dont want me to vioce my opinion here, then so be it. (Behaviours is what i think u ment?)
    If you don't want me here Dustaz just say so. It's as easy as that and no threat is needed. I know you like doing it and i would not like to deny it from you. But there really is no need for a show of strength or how powerfull you are here. Just say please leave and i will.

Thanks for your time,

Originally posted by Lemming
    And where do you propose that IOFFL gets the sufficient funding to do all this?

What you've described is something akin to a corporation.

I'm sure you have ample wondrous suggestions as to how to achieve all this and aren't just being an arm-chair "expert" critic??

More membership / more awareness that IOFFL actually exist / contributions / sponsorship from companies you name it! It can be done. Stop asking where and how and just go out and try!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66

More membership / more awareness that IOFFL actually exist / contributions / sponsorship from companies you name it! It can be done. Stop asking where and how and just go out and try!

Hmmm ... so are you prepared to work full time on IOFFL, sinc eyou're the one so eager for everyone else to do it.

No??? Why not?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lemming

Hmmm ... so are you prepared to work full time on IOFFL, sinc eyou're the one so eager for everyone else to do it.

No??? Why not?
    I will plead like IOFFL and say i have other commitments. But im sure there ARE people out there willing to do it. But right now i dont see anyone willing to do it. That's why we need to get a lot more support and make IOFFL more known to everyone in Ireland. There are people out there that would be willing, its up to us to find them is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by 212.2.179.66

I will plead like IOFFL and say i have other commitments. But im sure there ARE people out there willing to do it. But right now i dont see anyone willing to do it. That's why we need to get a lot more support and make IOFFL more known to everyone in Ireland. There are people out there that would be willing, its up to us to find them is it not?

Answer the question pet...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I can assure the poster some of us do plenty. We contact companies we do try to heighten awareness we fail more often than not so we shut our mouths. Not everyone needs to advertise their actions or a pat on the head for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

212 something something, has made some valid points.
    Sponsorship from a big company would be nice, and it would allow us to advertise and awaken many more people then we currently can.

Most information passes through this forum, or through the IOFFL website, but the whole idea is that internet usage is too expensive. Families with kids who run up huge bills, business’s with 3/4 ISDN lines, people in general who are being ripped off, need to be informed. Currently, the only way they would know about IOFFL is if they happened to read one or two choice articles in random papers, or already read these boards.

And of course to advertise, we will need sponsors. I don’t think it would be viewed as "selling out". It will help us educate the public, whilst associating a company with a good cause. Surely there's someone out there who wants to be associated with helping the public of our country ;)

I'd also like to express my complete support, and appreciation, to IOFFL for the work they've done for the past two years. Considering the nature of the organisation (voluntary), they've achieved plenty.

Cheers folks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

We are hoping to raise our profile in the run up to the AGM. Our long overdue newsletter goes out tomorrow. The hope is that many who signed up, and do not frequent the boards will be reminded that we are fighting in their corner, and we're asking that the newsletter is passed around to all in your address book.

Most importantly the IOFFL survey is ready to roll thanks to sterling work from from some members. We will be publicising IT as best we can and pushing it out there. There is no defined cut off point as of yet, but we would hope to have some stats for the AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Since Mr IP has failed to answer the question about where this mysterious meeting took place or who was involved, im locking the thread.

IP, all you have posted are old questions/suggestions/moans which members of the committee have answered here or elsewhere recently. Feel free to continue to post, but any more offensive remarks will result in a ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement