Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Components

• 21-06-2002 11:07am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a new computer bit by bit. I was looking at the list of cheap components and there is a lot to choose from. Can anyone give me a spec for a low price, about AMD 1.4GHz 256Mb decent graphics card, ect.
    I've looked at loads of options but I don't know what to choose and which are the best.
    I have the hard disk, monitor, keyboard, mouse, CD drives, floppy.
    I just need the other components for as cheap as possible.
    Could any of you guys help me narrow it down?
    Cheers!!

P.S.
    Sorry I know there is probably a lot of posts on this topic as it is, I just want your guys help choosing the system, I don't need advice on building.

I also need a good case

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

How about searching this forum for similar threads? There are loads of threads with particular specs posted, narrowed down, etc You know that the replies to other peoples problems may apply to you too! Or you could be lazy and wait for your gift wrapped, customized answer, which I certainly don't have the time to write.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I was looking back throught the fourms and a lot of them were people with €1000 to spend, I don't have that. Also some of them listed several different types of components and I'm not to sure of the difference and which one is best. I know there is loads of topics in there but I could not find one that answered what I was looking for. I just want a little advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah theres been an abundance of these recently.
    Do all ye lot get your pc's at the start of the summer?
    Usually pc sales drop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

what do ya me " all ye lot"?
    I just wanted a little help not a lecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

TomTom, attitude check, you came in demanding a full list of what to do, without doing a search.

Now for a helpful answer.

If you're spending "a lot less than 1000 euro", you're not going to get much of a system. Cheap CPU wise, the new Durons are very reasonable, as are the lower-spec Athlon XPs. You mentioned you already have some of the other parts? That'll help keep costs down.

Check graphics-wise, the GeForce 4 MX cards are fairly cheap (I can do you a deal on one of these probably if you PM me), or something like a GeForce 3 Ti200, or the newer Ti4200 (very good card, and a lot cheaper than the higher spec'ed ones).

Motherboards are generally pretty cheap anyway, it's the CPU and graphics card that can be the real money-soakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Don't skimp money on the CPU and motherboard - anything else can be replaced easily enough, but the base components are the ones you'll want to last you a good while.

Advertisement