Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digibox Problem

• 21-06-2002 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

My Sky decoder is acting up. I have it since April 2001, so the warranty is up.

The problem is that when I go into the TV guide, look around and select a channel, I get the message 'NO SATELLITE SIGNAL IS BEING RECEIVED'. This doesn't happen every single time, but it is happening up to 15 times a day - VERY annoying. I have to plug out the box and plug it back in to get the signal back. It only happens when I come out of the TV Guide.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I rang Sky, they were no help - said they'd send an engineer round but the callout charge alone was €90.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Please help if you can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi there,

Seems that as it occurs only when you exit the TV Guide, a forced download of the software might be required.

Take out your viewing card and unplug the box. Plug it in while holding down the back up button on the front of the digibox, not the remote until all the lights are lit. You should get an onscreen message, wait two minutes after screen has gone blank again and switch on.

Let us know what happens next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BatmanDar

Thanks, I'll give it a blast. Now why couldn't Sky tell me that??

Its a weird one, and that is worth the lash.

One thing to add is that all the lights on the box will light up after a few seconds of pressing the backup button. This is normal. When they go off, wait 2 more mins, and then turn your box back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 unknown_a38

Ring up sky again and tell them ur cancelling ur contract. they'll ask why and say ur decoders faulty + then they'll say they'll send out a engineer for free + ur problems fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by unknown_a38
    Ring up sky again and tell them ur cancelling ur contract. they'll ask why and say ur decoders faulty + then they'll say they'll send out a engineer for free + ur problems fixed.

If it's out of warranty why would they do that? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a sudden influx of Pace receivers dying. Mainly, the tuner dies. Strange why it's only been in the past few weeks. Coincidence I suppose.

Yeah, it's worth a try ringing SKY as you wouldn't be the first to be offered a repair free of charge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by Tony

If it's out of warranty why would they do that? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Just an inkling here, but it could be the fact that they'll not be getting your €50/60 a month anymore. Wouldn't it make better sense to replace a €xx box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 unknown_a38

it does work cos sky done it for me. i pretended that i wanted to cancel my subscription. they ont want to lose any customers so they do that. although my engineer was booked today and never turned up but there sorting it out and reimbursing me for lost viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

my pace box died with similar symptoms as above. rather than bother to get it fixed, I just bought an ex contract uk panasonic box. if you get a fta card into the deal, it's a much more attractive option.

panasonic box is much faster, and looks dinky under the panasonic telly.

Damo, I tried the forced software update, no joy. Any other suggestions, aside from ringing Sky?

• Advertisement

ooooh.. Stumped me :( I will now pass this over to the rest of the community.... any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

PSU probs?? btw Panasonic is v fast,got a dsb35 and most happy. Better than that grundig 300 I had.

Prolong the life of the junk digibox and plug the thing out from the wall when your out, minding the life of those crappy electrolyctic capacitors in the psu.
    Card never failed or died by plugging rx out either.Sky are lying about leaving the thing plugged in>

Anyone else ideas of NoSatellite Sig etc..

Originally posted by bugler

Just an inkling here, but it could be the fact that they'll not be getting your €50/60 a month anymore. Wouldn't it make better sense to replace a €xx box?

Since when did sky have commonsense? their usual procedure is to charge a call out @ EUR85 or so, if the guy replaces the box then it's not bad value

Tony

Originally posted by telecinesk
    PSU probs?? btw Panasonic is v fast,got a dsb35 and most happy. Better than that grundig 300 I had.

Prolong the life of the junk digibox and plug the thing out from the wall when your out, minding the life of those crappy electrolyctic capacitors in the psu.
    Card never failed or died by plugging rx out either.Sky are lying about leaving the thing plugged in>

Anyone else ideas of NoSatellite Sig etc..

Usually a faulty tuner causes this I'm afraid.

Tony

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony

Usually a faulty tuner causes this I'm afraid.

Tony

Yup, about 9 times outta 10. Actually, make it 9.5 times out of 10! They're poorly made IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Midnyte Rambler

Hi all,

Just like to add my name to the list of people with sadly departed Pace Digiboxes. Mine was showing very similar symptoms to the original poster and we had a couple of callouts from engineers who finally told us that the Digibox was kaput. We were quoted €199 for a replacement box and advised that we would be wise to take out seperate insurance cover on it as it would most likely not last any longer than our existing one has, which is just less than 18 months old!!! I have to say that up to this I was a real supporter of the whole Sky Digital package but this has left a very sour taste in my mouth, and by the looks of what I've read here and elsewhere I'm not alone. Tommorrow I'm going to try the suggestion above and tell Sky I want to cancel my subscription and see what happens. Either ways I'm not handing out another €200 plus a service call charge for something that is less than 18 months old. Looked at the NTL package and it really doesn't compare. If anybody has any further suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks for listening to my whinge :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Midnyte Rambler

Hi again,

Well..I tried the suggestion posted by unknown_a38 and I can confirm that I was given the same answer when I said I wanted to cancel my subscription to Sky Digital and an engineer is coming out to sort out the problem free of charge and I am being re-imbursed for lost viewing time. Now that's more like it!!

More power to the Net ..and more specifically Eboards.ie :-)

Happy days, just rang them, they're sending an engineer out free of charge.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement