Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of an old PC

• 21-08-2001 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

They're flogging off old PCs to staff in work, before I decide to take them up on it just wondering what it's worth

Pentium processor 200Mhz
    64 MB memory
    2 GB fixed disk
    CD ROM drive
    Ethernet adapter
    Sound card
    17" CRT monitor

Won't bias you opinions by telling u what they are asking yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spinnar2k

200 max I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hum i'd say around 100 quid. but a 17inch monitor is good. defo not above 150.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Yup,£100- £150 is a fair price, given its an end of life pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

I know this sounds pretty obvious but it hasn't been suggested so far. Soooo

Why don't you get a quote on the induvidual components, and subtract some money coz they're second hand.

But then again, you are not buying these PCs from a shop. The ones that aren't sold are probably going in a skip. So you could play around with that notion to get the price down. What kind of company are they and do they know there **** about computers. If not all you have to do is have the right attitude. Enter the mindphuk business mindset. cool.gif

The only thing I would do with a PC like that is sell it to a non techie (not family, coz the kids will see right through ya, when they can't play games). This non-techie will be around ECDL standards etc, and will want to run Office on it etc. If the PC can do all they want it will suit them more than if they went in to a shop and blew a grand on one IMO.

If you are doing that put an add in the buy and sell, and use buzzwords like Multimedia, Intel Processor, ECDL ready ( :confusion: ), I dunno, make it up.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I like the buzzwords idea phobos smile.gif

Your local paper might work better though, seeing how clogged up buy and sell is with old pc's.

About the pc offer, I reckon £120 is a fair price, unless the monitor is very nice, in which case £130-140.

This pc would make a nice file/mp3 server or firewall, running linux or freebsd also. Would be a nice gift for someone who just wants a machine for office. Think about it, you don't need to spend £1500 just for a basic letters/accounts machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'd like to buy a monitor or a few bits from you. Failing that, I'll take an entire machine, if you want to sell one.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Thanks for the help guys,

I think I'll let it go, £150 is the asking price, there'll be no haggling as there'll be plenty of people here who'll take them up on it, wanted it to finally look at doing a bit of home networking but wanted to be getting a bargain so that if I don't get around to it (been carting a couple of old 486s from falt to flat the last couple of years - finally binned them ea few weeks ago) I could sell it on without making a loss

Phobos, we're a s/w house and they are our support so they know their **** (though I have my doubts sometimes wink.gif), I'll make note of your suggestions for future use though, Cheers

Advertisement