Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Island Books

Options
  • 22-06-2002 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a thought to do this (thought it might be interesting).

OK, basically you're allowed bring five books to your desert island.

In the tradition of Desert Island Discs one of them has to be either the Koran or the Bible.

So you're allowed four more.

You can bring any book that's been published in one volume (so for example you can bring "The Complete works of Shakespeare" if you want but you're not allowed "The Complete Works of Terry Pratchett"

You're going to be on your island for a long time so you may not want to bring books just because they're your favourite (not if they take you ten minutes to read and you don't want to see them for six months). You can bring a magazine;) but it'll count as a full one of your five.

Bringing "How to make a boat and oars out of sand" is of course optional:D

My five:
    Bible
    Thomas Hardy - "Tess of the d'Urbervilles"
    Roald Dahl - "Collected Short Stories"
    "Penguin Book of Twentieth century speeches"
    Tolkien - "Lord of the rings" (one volume edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Okay, I'm making one assumption, the desert island will be inhabited, so therefore my choices will be dicated on best to manipulate my fellow man :)
    Bible : (/Das Capital/Koran/ etc similiar book to put fear of Elderly bearded man into people).
    Art of War by Oman : ( To achieve peace one must study war, or perhaps just prepare to get your pre-emptive strike in first)
    The Prince by Machiavelli (no comment needed)
    History of Ireland by Kee: (How not to run a civilisation)
    SAS survival handbook : A personal favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Considering you are on a desert island i imagine a survival book would be handy.

1. Koran: Because it is a far more entertaining than how some guy begot this guy and how that guy begot another guy etc

2. The Art of War by Sun Tzu: Just incase i need to fend off some of the natives

3. The Shining by Steven King: My favourite King book and one of the first books i read.

4. The Mountains of Madness by H.P Lovercraft : Excellent book of collected stories

5. Plutarch's Lives: This was the first book that got me interested in Classical literature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

well if there are going to be no women around, i suppose a book with some lady pictures in it would be top of your list. Something you guys omitted.

Advertisement