Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

movie remakes

• 22-06-2002 4:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Help required. Looking for movie remakes. Explanation below:

My GF hates old movies, especially black and white movies. To make my movie viewing habits a little easier, I've been treating her (poor thing) to a feast of watching a remake on one night and an original on the next. It's quite fun for me too as I quite like a good remake. It's also fun for me because she's liked the older version better on every occasion so far, which is just proving whatever point I'm trying to make.

So far, we've had:
    Cruel Intentions and Dangerous Liaisons

A Bugs Life and The Magnificent Seven

West Side Story and Romeo and Juliette (the Zeffirelli version, yes, I know it came later but the point is the same)

Chicken Run and then The Great Escape and Stalag 17 (and Hart's War) for comparison (not all in the same week)

Dial M for Murder and A Perfect Murder

Both Thomas Crown affairs (even though they're totally different)

So what I'm looking for are movie remakes. Good ones (preferably of movies that were good to start with). A few provisos though: both have to be in English and shot by shot remakes don't count (eg Psycho) - not much point. Preferably with the newer movie in a more modern setting (as with the list above - makes the story more accessible and all that). And actual remakes - not just a few movies featuring a round table and gaggle of knights.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

em isnt magnificent 7 a remake of 7 samurai, or are you just avoiding the whole subtitle thing?

You could do oceans 11 when the new one is released to video.

I cant think of any more, but it will have me thinking now for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

'The Hidden Fortress' and 'Star Wars'
    'Gladiator' and 'Spartacus'
    'A Guy Named Joe' and 'Always'
    'Scarface' and 'Carlitos Way'
    'A Night to Remember' and 'Titanic'
    'American Grafitti' and 'Dazed and Confused'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Heres a few off the cuff for ya Seamus...
    I must say I enjoy watching remakes or originals after seeing a film. And I love reading the novels for instance The Talented Mr. Ripley. Most of these will be available in your local video store or in the case of the Time Machine your local cinema ;)
    --
    Planet of the Apes
    Moulin Rouge
    Vanilla Sky / Open Your Eyes
    Shaft
    Psycho
    Tarzan
    Doctor Dolittle
    Godzilla
    The Time Machine
    The Three Musketters
    The Out-of-Towners
    The Parent Trap
    Anna and the King
    Gone in 60 Seconds
    The Nutty Professor
    Flubber
    Lolita
    Down to Earth / Heaven Can Wait
    Sabrina
    10 things I hate about you / The Taming of the Shrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Don't forget "Rollerball" (when its released)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Two spring to mind:
    Cape Fear
    12 Angry Men

• Advertisement
Advertisement