Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube installation

• 22-06-2002 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Howyas,
    Recieved a phonecall today after work, to my suprise it was my sexy local-landlady. she bought a gamecube for her young son but couldnt get it working, so out of the blue she rang, me of all people, to come to the rescue. I couldnt do much.

Shes trying to attach the gamecube to a digital widescreen tv, the skydigibox is located under it. She seemed to have verything in correct oder ie the power cables were fine the A/V (video and audio) were correctly inserted into the tv.
    I thought the problem must be in the tuning to i tried that on all the bands. Not a flicker. Being an ex-n64 owner I wondered why there wasnt a Rf cable switcher thingy. But then again these digital tvs have everything fecked. Just hoping someone can shed some light on this small problem. Like yer one is going all the way back to the shop with it, but im fairly sure there is one or two small things out of order and that she has all the required cables.

oh yeah and i tried connecting the 21 pin jack to the back of the tv input. go on give me advice theres a few pints in it for me!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

this isnt the greatest advice but I'll throw it in anyway.
    Make sure the red, white and yellow wires are in the right order, and make sure they're very firmly in place! (push them in as far as they go)

I made this dumbarsed mistake meself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

If you're using the scart or the 3 phonos (like tizlox says) then you cant tune it in. You just press AV or similar on the remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya i bet its the av thingy too, press it a few times cos ya usually get a few of them on a newish tv, tis dead handy tho, like no tunning or anything just comes straight up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Lads, thanks very much for the advice but i got it sorted anyways. I just gave them a loan of the RF cable from my nintendo 64 and it worked perfect. I'll say it to them about the A/V thingy but id say they'll stick with the RF cable adaptor.
    Got a few free cans for it too ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Use the AV, it's a beter quality picture (with Scart at least - Use S-Video if ye can), it doesn't take up a channel and it's easier cos it's direct into the TV, no chance of taping Mario128 instead of Pulp Fiction :)

Is the scan higher on Scart or something?
    I can physicly see the differenc over RF and composite on my Amiga600, but a few exact specs would help exercise the techy deamons :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...the signal going through a SCART/S-Video cable isn't being modulated onto a UHF RF signal to be recovered later by the tuner in the TV, so there are two less sources of interference/signal corruption when you go that route...

The best "pure" solution is composite RGB, as each of the three streams of colour data are individually screened so that they can't interfere with each other, which can happen with SCART anyway (not sure about S-Video - they may be screened too)

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I think the bestest best best solution is component RGB, where each colour has it's own port. This is possibly the pinnacle of colour seperation and video transport, althought I have a feeling someone else will tell me otherwise. :D

Of course the quality of the leads is just as important. Getting substandard leads can mean loss of quality through the cable. eg. I have that 3 way scart changer from argos at home to hook up my satellite, dvd and other satellite. And sometimes more often than not I can hear some sort of radio going on behind the regular dvd sound. Strange! So get good cables, y'hear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...what CivilServant said. I meant "component", not "composite" - the rest of the sentence should allude to that anyway.

Woopsie... :rolleyes:
    Gadget

Advertisement