Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl to CD

• 22-06-2002 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I have an extensive Vinyl Collection of 70`s & 80`s "music"?!
    Over the past few years I have been buying as many CDs as possible trying to get as many LPs/Tracks as possible of this collection. However I have got to the stage where some LPs/Tracks are just not available on CD.
    So I am now considering recording my collection to CD.
    At the moment I have an ordinary system of;
    Turntable; Single CD Player; Twin Cassette & Tuner.
    This is now some years old. It is not digital. My question is - What equipment do I need?
    Will I have to buy a new system or can I record CDs from this system?
    I guess the first thing I need is a CD Recorder, but will I be able to record from my present set-up?
    Is there anyone who has been in this position & if so could you offer me some advice of what route to take? Any suggestions would be appreciated ie recommended equipment etc.
    Hope someone can help me.

Yellow Dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I presume that you are not talking about -From your computer- ?

Firstly it is possible to get some sort of CDrecorder a standalone unit that is like a cd player but it records. I had one previously and one could get a couple of leads and plug them into the record and the cd and record like you record a cassette. However, you may as well get a cd recorder for your computer as you can use cd's to burn other stuff too. Imagine, you could burn cd's of music that you have downloaded from the internet.

To do this you would buy .....ummm do you have a computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Had a stab at doing this myself a few months ago. I had a stack of cassettes I wanted to convert to MP3.

I got a jack to connect the tapedeck to my soundcard. I used cooledit to chop each side into individual tracks.

To be honest, I got mixed results. I got some hiss, and the tracks were too quiet (had to turn the volume up to hear them properly). Had a stab at normalising them to improve the volume --- it did --- but it also just highlighted the hiss. :rolleyes:

Gave up. Found the CDs on EBay and bought them there instead. ;)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Yes I have a PC & use it to make my own Cds.
    What I want help on is recording my Albums/7"`s/12"`s to CD.
    It if means starting from scratch ie buying a new system - so be it.
    Just looking for help on what to buy.
    I know you can buy ordinary Music Systems with a CD recorder built in.
    Is this the avenue I should take?
    I would also be interested on putting my favourites on MiniDisk also.
    I live in North West, so I don`t have access to many shops that deal in Audio. Just the average electrical shops that don`t seem to be able to offer me any advice.
    I plan to visit Dublin shortly though.
    I seem to remember a shop near the H`penny Bridge.
    I might get some info there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

best use a program called LP recorder....its easy to use and has auto level and automatiaclly cuts off when the needle finishes on the disc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

best use a program called LP recorder....its easy to use and has auto level and automatiaclly cuts off when the needle finishes on the disc.
    If you know where one might get their hands on that program, will you post a link or some details please. advTHANKSance ;)

Back on topic,
    Well since you say that you're using an fairly old Hi-Fi with no digital (optical) features, you are going to be using Auxillary cables to connect the two (Deck + Recorder). If it's just audio you want to put on CD, I recommend you get yourself the audio recorder, which is a standalone unit that just connects to your hi-fi. If you want to burn data too, get a CDRW drive for your PC.

The reason I'm not recommending you get a PC drive straight from the start is because you will face all sorts of problems trying to get the original sound quality on the disk. You will end up wasting money on blank CDs, and tinkering with mixer software trying to get all the correct recording levels. Problems similar to what TmB experienced. Since I've been Djing for quite some time, I was faced with the same problem a few years back. I chose to go down the MiniDisc route and I never looked back. My MD recorder can be hooked up to my (audio) equipment using digital or anologue leads, with perfect recordings every time. Consider MD over CDs, because a lot of people are still looking at minidiscs as a portable sollution. Remember you can connect the MD player to your Hi-Fi (granted you have a AUX/optical-in socket on the amp), and use it as a hi-fi separate. Then when you want to go somewhere just plug it out and treat it as a portable device. Very flexable and reliable (I love my MD). I only recommend Sony devices BTW. If Pioneer did MDs, I'd probably go with them, but Sony is the best ATM IMO. ;)

Having said all that CDs are still a commonly used format, especially in the Djing world if you are sending mixes here and there. Take for example if I was to apply to a nightclub, I would have to send them a CD, nothing else would be accepted. This just goes to show how hard some people find moving forward with technology. I tend to rant a fair bit when it comes to this kind of thing, but there is reason to my madness (I swear :) ).

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LP Recorder 4.0

Also have a look at Rip Vinyl 2.06 (as it's cheaper)

I think phobos' suggestions are well worth considering.

Hi.
    Back after a long break from the Boards.
    I am still finding it difficult to make my mind up as to which direction to go in.
    I have decided to replace my music system. I believe you can buy a system which includes a CD burner, but I have yet to come across one.
    I have been to Richer Sounds & was advised to buy a CD Burner, Amp, Pre-Amp & Speakers for €460. If I do manage to get the sort of system I am talking about, do I just plug my turntable into the system & record away? Do I need a Pre-Amp? What about recording individual tracks?
    I have also followed the links to LP Recorder & Rip Vinyl. I am not too clever when it comes to techy things. I am not too enthusiastic about messing with my sound card. But it sounds fairly simple & possibly the best option. And at €7 won`t break the bank, even if I fail. Is it just as simple as connecting my stereo to my PC? How is this done.
    Any help will be welcomed.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

what a conicidence, i was just thinking of doing this for my dad's very old lp collection. sorry for jumping into your thread...

1. where can i buy a record player (preferably one that stacks albums)
    2. alternatively, where can i get a record players (not a dj deck) that plays records and allows output to pc?

the reason i ask is the advice i have been getting is that other than dj decks, record needles arent made anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The output from a record deck is extremely low compared to 'line levels' generated by CD's et al. If the amplifier you're buying has a phono. stage (fewer and fewer do these days :( ) it will accept input at this extremely low level. If it only has, say, an aux. input for additional equipment you'll need an external phono-->line amplifier (a pre-amplifier if you will). Rotel make a very nice one which is quite cheap.

• Advertisement

Hi.
    Back again after another break.

I have purchased Steinberg Clean Version 5. I had ordered the "Plus" version which came with a pre-amp, but the shop got in the ord. version. Guy in shop said that once I had a sound card there will be no problem. Not sure if I believe him from what I have read elsewhere. Anyone else have this softwear?

Anyway, my next purchase is going to be a Turntable. Can anyone recomend one? And any advice as to the need of a pre-amp would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anyway, my next purchase is going to be a Turntable. Can anyone recomend one? And any advice as to the need of a pre-amp would be appreciated.

I got an Aiwa PX-E860 just last year. Cheap and plasticky but does the job (I'm not an audiophile) Cost me 90 euros. One handy thing about it is it has a pre amp included. The pre amp can be disabled if not required. I've connected the turntable to my old Sony hifi which has a phono stage so I just disable the turntable pre amp. Works well. I dunno how it would work when connected to a soundcard but I presume it would be ok. I'll probably be attempting this myself in the near future as I'd like to burn my old records to CD.

BrianD3

Thank you for the reply Brian.

It was only when I went looking for turntables on the internet that I realized that some turntables come with a pre-amp. I will be taking a closer look over the weekend. Where did you buy your turntable?

I'm in Sligo, so I will be either buying online or waiting till my next trip to Dublin.

Again, thanks for the reply.

And hope you have a Happy Christmas.

Yellow Dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yellow Dog: I got the turntable in a small electrical shop in the middle of Cavan town. I had previously seen the same model turntable in Power City Fonthill but they wouldn't sell it separately - they insisted that it came with a big Aiwa midi hifi and that I'd have to buy the whole thing if I wanted the turntable. Which I reckon was BS - the rest of the hifi was an all in one job, the only separate part was the turntable and it was packed separately from the main system too. Don't know why they wouldn't sell it to me.

It mightn't be that easy for you to pick one up though. Usually when you walk into an electrical shop and ask if they have any turntables they look at you like you've got six heads :) Very few places seem to do them. Your best bet might be to try online.

As I said, the one I have is a cheap thing but it does the job. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be a huge choice in turntables. Most of them are either cheap or very expensive (DJ style decks etc.) with not much in between.

Note that I haven't tried connecting it to my PC (yet) so I can't comment on its suitability for this purpose. But I just did a search on google groups for turntable + soundcard and there's lots of info on connecting turntables to your PC which should be useful for you

Hope this helps, anyhow Happy Christmas to you :)

BrianD3

Seasons greetings to you Brian.

I just ordered a Bush MTT1 from Tesco UK @ £39 inc. UK delivery. Richer Sounds (UK) had this same turntable listed at £50. This also has a built in preamp so should do the trick.
    I am not too far from Fermanagh and have used a friends address, which I always do so as to save on postage costs.
    I'll let you know how I get on in the New Year.

Yellow Dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

LP to CD isnt always the best transition, I always get the odd click/pop even after audio cleansing.

tbh if you have broadband, it is far easier to download the tunes on mp3's (as long as you can find em!). it is obviously completely legal, seeing as you have already purchased them in the form of LP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Do yourself a favour and buy a hi-fi cd-r, not a PC one.

Despite what Creative et al will have you believe PC sound cards, even high end cannot produce the same level of quality that a dedicated hi-fi seperate can.
    Seperates don't come in big shielded metal boxes with screened PSU's and hugh discrete components for nothing you know.

Besides - It'll be easier in the long run (no software/hardware screw-ups) and any advantages PC editing has over seperates (anti hiss ect) can be utilised by editing the WAV files ripped from your hi-fi created CD onto your PC's hard disk and re-burn back onto CD.

tribble

Just when I thought I had made my mind up as to which avenue to take. :o)

Anyway I have committed myself after buying Clear V.5 and ordering the turntable.

I have tried Kaaza as a way around this and found it a help, but I am not likely to find some of my more obscure tracks, such as the two Yellow Dog albums I have from the 70`s.

It has helped me get tracks I have on compilation albums alright. I was buying similer Cd`s but ended up having some tracks 10 times. If I get another Cd with "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor on it I will scream!

Anyway, if there is anyone who has taken the route I am about to do, I would be interested in hearing how they got on & any tips.

One thing is for sure, I am going to be spending a lot of time just cleaning my old vinyl albums & 7"'s & 12"'s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

i believe that PC ones are better quality. you need to get ones which are certified for that enhanced quality thingy, cant remember the name, but it makes the pits and tracks longer to reduce read errors. slow burn speeds are also essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I have transferred some Vinyl to CD's using an old turntable, DIY pre-amp, the PC.

If your turntable has a Pre-amp built-in you won't need the Pre-amp which came with Clean V5, although if you have the option of disabling the preamp in the turntable the Clean V5 pre-amp may give you better quality recordings.

Basically, using the turntable pre-amp, you connect the turntable directly to the Line-In on your soundcard. You will then need to set the input/recording level. On the software I use (ejay Music Cleaning Studio) there is an input level meter. You will then adjust the level playing the loudest sections of the record, to get the best signal possible. When set Start Recording and then play the record you want to record. When the record is finished you can tweak the sound to reduce hiss etc, and then cut it into individual tracks. Once that is done you burn the audio to CD.

When the CD is finished you can design your labels using Neato/mediaface or expressit software, and print your own labels.

Good Luck. Let me know if I can help any more.

ST.

If anyone is looking for a pre-amp, Maplin Electronics sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I've transfered quite a few vinal tracks to MP3. I picked up a cheapish phono preamp last year before Richer Sounds closed down because as many people have pointed out here the phono output is too low to run directly into a sound card input. Once I had the preamp I was in business.

I probably took a rather complicated route to generating my MP3s though. I used Soundforge to record the input and used it to clean up the tracks, lead in and out etc. Then I used Enlamer to rip from Wav to MP. Enlamer is really excellent.

Fairly labourious but it certaily worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hi, I've being following this thread with great interest as it is something I have wanted to do for ages. But can I ask a really thick question: but what is a "pre-amp". I have a turntable that connects to my stereo so does the stereo act as a pre-amp??

Any replies appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by tallpaul
    Hi, I've being following this thread with great interest as it is something I have wanted to do for ages. But can I ask a really thick question: but what is a "pre-amp". I have a turntable that connects to my stereo so does the stereo act as a pre-amp??

Any replies appreciated.

The level of the signal from a turntable is very low so an extra amplifier is needed to bring it up to a similar level as a cd player/tape deck, etc.
    If your stereo has a phono input then it will likely have a pre-amp built into that circuit, try connecting the turntable to a different input on your amplifier and see if the volume is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I have used my soundcard to record audio before mainly from tapes and mini-discs.

The onboard soundcard in my machine was useless, but a fairly cheap sb4.1 works fine. It records fine for about 50 mns on win98 before it runs out of memory then it tends to skip every few seconds. A major source for interference on many audio devices is tv screens and monitors, if you hear a buzzing sound try turning off your monitor whilst recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Not only does the pre-amp boost the output from the Turntable, but it also corrects the equalisation. When the record is originally made, they cut the bass frequencies, and boost the treble frequencies for various technical reasons. The pre-amp does the reverse of this, it boosts the bass and cuts the treble, as well as boosting the overall signal level. Any amplifier/stereo system with a Phono/Turntable input will have the pre-amp built in.

Here's a link to an article on the PCW (Personal Computing World magazine) website. It goes into Vinyl to CD conversion in depth.

Depending on the quality of results you are after, some of the steps taken in the article can be ignored.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/Features/1137840

And here's another link http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Very interesting thread!!! here is another good link!!! http://www.pcabusers.net/vinyllp/vinyllp.htm
    and another
    http://www.audiotoolsdirect.com/
    :):):)
    Let us know how you get on Yellow Dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Since I began collecting vinyl at the age of 14 (40 now) I have built up a collection of over 2,000 7" - 350 12"(45rpm) and about 80 or so LP's (33rpm). About 7 years ago I was off work sick for a few months and decided to convert all the above to mp3 format.

It is, without doubt, a time consuming activity but a little experimentation at the start reaps many benefits. One thing I discovered is that normalising as an absolute NO NO! The s/n ratio of vynil is bad enough without worstening it by processing.

Software and hardware wise the following are required.

Stylus/cartridge combination: I used a Stanton 500M which gave the sound characteristics I liked - punchy and clean. Having used these in mobile disco setups it seemed obvious.

Turntable: Worth spending a few bob here for something decent with a good quality arm and counter balance and anti skate system. The Stanton is a tolerant beast and will withstand tracking weights upto about 6 or 7 grammes. For this purpose I set it to 3.5 grammes. Set the TT up on a solid base away from the speakers or amplifier it's connected to and use a quality phono interconnect to the amp.

Amp/preamp: It's possible to go way overboard here and spend a small fortune but any quality manufacturers amplifier like Technics - Denon - Sony etc. will have a decent RIAA equalised phono input built in. I used the record out of the amp to supply the audio signal to the sound card, but if the amp has a pre-out you can use this. Turn off all tone controls or center them and switch off loudness. This is just incase they are before the output you are using.

Sound card/PC: I used a Soundblaster Live with a Live Drive module in a drive bay on an AMD K6-2 500 MHz (best at the time!) with 128 MB RAM and a 6.4GB HDD the point here is the faster the cpu - the bigger/faster the hdd the better. Don't use on-board sound chips - they're crap!

Software: My choice was Cool Edit. It's important to set this up before you begin. Play an example of each format e.g. 7", 12" 45's, 12" 33's and LP and save a preset recording level and filter for each type. I also applied a little bit of compression (2:1 @ 20dB) for effect. Experiment with the click/pop remover for the best results. Because of the time required I restricted this filter to the start of records that were low level., don't over do it as it sounds sh**e after a point. Certain instruments that are very transient or dynamic like steel guitars, mandolins etc will be destroyed without care at this stage.

MP3: Convert the files at a high Kbps rate like 256 or 320 for best results or use the new MP3 PRO format at 128 or 164 Kbps. I used CDR's to store the files initially and moved them to a dedicated hard disk when the size/price ratio increased (80GB LaCie Firewire).

Anyway that was my experience and it worked out very well. They will never sound like digital audio CD's but it's possible to get them pretty close depending on the condition of your vinyl to begin with !

Good Luck !!

Tinky

Advertisement