Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Gefore Pro

• 21-08-2001 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Can anyone please help with the following problem.

I have at the moment a PII 266, chaintech motherboard with a ATI 4mb card linked with a voodoo 2. A friend of mine gave me a 3D Blaster GeForce Pro CT6971, but every time I put the new card into the system it hangs at a different stage of booting up, so I can't instail the drivers. At first I put this down to an old Bios and updated that with the latest update and the latest flash program, but too no avail.
    Has anyone any idea's what could be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

is the ATI card integrated?, pci?...removed?
    smile.gif

clean install of OS?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭pol

No its a AGP so I had to remove it smile.gif
    I was just going to keep the same OS (if I can)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 KinG

Go through all your bios setings ,

Check the AGP (X)speed , 1x,2x,4x.

Most chaintech boards use a VIA chipset.
    Get the latest 4in1 Chipset drivers.

8-)

=KinG=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

No, thats utter rubbish, it would be true to say that the majority of CURRENT chaintech boards use via chipsets. Since it is a pII 266, it more than likely uses the chaintech 6LTM motherboard, with the intel 440lx chipset. This chipset unfortunately was an early agp chipset, and boards based on it do not always make adequate provisions for powering newer power hungry cards like the geforce.

However, it could be just that windows doesn't like the card, because it is possibly trying to use ati drivers still.

Try putting the ati back in, then remove the drivers for the ati card. I.E. uninstall all the ati software, then remove the card from control panel -> system -> device manager -> display adapters. Then put in the new card. If this still doesn't work it may just be your motherboard.

Thanks Gerry,
    I'll give that a go see what happens smile.gif, and your right about the motherboard it's a chaintech 6LTM motherboard. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

A friend had exactly that problem with his pII 233 and a GeForce. We came to the conclusion that it's just too slow, and there isn't enough ram. He bought a duron 700 and gobs of ram, it works perfectly. As far as I know.

You can get a duron 700 these days for about £60, and ram is stupidly cheap, at about £30 for 128mb. You might want to look into a new machine.

No, it's still not working, I uninstalled the ATi and changed the card and this time I got all the way to window before the system locked up. frown.gif looks like I need a new motherboard and processor frown.gif - has anyone ever use ebay to get these - any thoughts?

BTW - thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah you can get plenty of good deals on ebay, JUST make sure to check the shipping + handling, caus sometimes the give you the cost of shippping and con you at the end of the auction with huge shipping cost smile.gif

Advertisement