Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a lappie

• 22-08-2001 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right im finaly going to buy a laptop . (hehe im going to look so cool on those long train rides to galways bol!x off you yuppies )

where is the best place to buy one in ireland

also how mutch is a new network card for a lappie ?

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

First of all, figure out how much you can afford to spend.

Next decide what specs are important to you. (ie: I want a screen no smaller than 12" with 1024x768 res, I want a processor at or faster than P3-700, I want more than 128MB of memory, I want 10gig or greater hard drive, I want built-in network and modem, I want a DVD drive, I want at least 3 hours battery life, I want a good graphics card to play games etc)

Have a look at the big laptop vendors websites (Apple, Dell, Sony, Toshiba etc) and see what models they offer. Most new laptops come with built-in network cards.

You can buy direct from Dell - Apple and Sony have resellers in Ireland, I dunno about Toshiba.

Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Dr_Teeth (edited 22-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Zebra

I have a DELL INSPIRON 8000 it is a bit expensive but is it well worth the mony as there is a lot of extras like a second battery while on that long train trip to Galway and DVD, CD/RW, Internal Network card and internal 56k modem etc.
    http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/ie/enu/dhs/products/series_inspn_notebooks.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

screen size well id like 12+
    processor p3 700+
    or amd 700+
    128 mb ram
    in or around 10 gig hd
    and all important nic

have £1.5k

also a nice graphics card

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 22-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Regarding Dell laptops, I've been working with two of them recently, they're REALLY nice. The dual battery thing is nice, and the built in 100mbit ethernet port I found extremely useful. Besides, they just look sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya i have been working with a lot of laptops lately as well -
    the inspirons seem like the way to go.
    I got a Dell Inspiron 8000 for myself last week, custom built with 900mhz, 256mb ram with 1 DIMM (on special offer), 20gb hard drive, 15 inch ultra-something screen, internal network card, modem, and a load of ports (it even has two usb ports which is very handy). it has both CD rom and floppy drives internal, so you don't need to swap them about.
    I got mine in america, but it worked out to $2200 which is i suppose about 1900pounds, but i cut down in some areas, like i saved $60 or something by getting a normal CD rom drive instead of DVD, and stuff like that.

btw, mine has a 32mb geforce2 in it, so that was kind of expensive, a lot moreso than the 16mb geforce2 option.

don't get a latitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

If you ever had to ring Dell bout Cooling probs wiv a latitude and they told u to press and hold down the P button your in for a pleasant surprise, I'll only tell yaz if ye have.. :P

Advertisement