Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo caps vs uncapped enhanced...

Options
  • 23-06-2002 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find a thread for it... so here goes.

I am looking at solo vs enhanced, I'd really like to keep costs down tho, but I may run up a bit of bandwidth, as you do. So basically, can eircom REALLY monitor my bandwidth and charge me if I go over 3 gig? and how likely are they if they can monitor it?

Also, are there any implications if I decide to upgrade from solo to enhanced?

I have a hub and a wlan at home, as well as a linux box to do permanent routing if necessary, so I'm not prepared to shell out for their router, the 4 port ethernet modem (I can do with the solo ethernet modem), or some dumb survey which sounds like a money making/printing racket.

has anyone beaten the 3 gig limited and been charged? if so by what margin did you beat the limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

So basically, can eircom REALLY monitor my bandwidth and charge me if I go over 3 gig? and how likely are they if they can monitor it?

Yes, they can.

Also, are there any implications if I decide to upgrade from solo to enhanced?

None really, you can supply your own equipment with the enhanced, so you'll just be paying the extra cash for the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

hmmm, does that mean when I get the bill I can get a usage summary as well? that would be quite interesting to compare with what my router was saying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The Download cap is not implemented at the moment so
    I suggest you D/L as much as you can and when the cap is put on then you can make the choice to upgrade or not ......

with the enhanced package you can use your own Router and other equipment and configure it yourself but you wont get and any tech support if any thing goes wrong.

But going back you will aparently see all info on the bill you recieve from Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Download cap is not implemented at the moment so

Hmm how do you know this???

I have Solo since 6/8/02 and havent dloaded a big file* yet, averaging 100mb a day surfing and gaming(2 users).
    I am at 1.5 gigs into my PC.
    Now i would love to dload somfin but if it came on the bill as extra i would cry.:(

I have contacted Eircom and havent got a decent answer "we reserve the right" doesnt cut it for me
    Yes or No does.
    So im unsure and afraid to risk it.

My version of a big file is over 100mb*
    Kdja

Guru, do you have any idea as to when that cap may be implemented?

Also, I'm in Dundrum, in Upper Kilmacud near the garda station, anyone nearby interested in wlan and cost sharing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Think about it they have no way at the moment to track it ......................well they do but in order for them to track it they will have to show you as well , how much you have Downloaded ........... Just like your telephone bill when you recieve it. it shows usage.

So i can only imagion this will be the same with DSL cap if not you could say you didnt D/L the amount they say you did and So you dont pay and it all ends up in a mess.

I dont know when the cap will be Implemented I called them and this is the info I got it only to save on bandwidth .......... the will be a website that you can log onto and it will show the usage.

And Im sure once this is developed we will all know .
    anyone nearby interested in wlan and cost sharing?

As much as im aware you will not be able to do this ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by the Guru
    Think about it they have no way at the moment to track it..
    That's a dangerous way to be thinking. At any moment, any month without warning, they could spring it on you and possibly even back-date it. The information is stored away per-port on their DSLAM in the exchange. They just have to automate the collection of that data.

Implemented I called them and this is the info I got it only to save on bandwidth .......... the will be a website that you can log onto and it will show the usage.
    Caps are also there to make their contention ratios work. At the exchange level, they oversubscribe DSL 24 times. For that to work, they have the make sure that every single customer on average uses only 1/24th of their available capacity. They don't have to show you your current usage on a web site. They need only stick it at the bottom of your monthly bill.

im still afraid to go over it.
    And until i get somfin better form Eircom.
    Maybe im the only person in D22 to get it and i get 24 gig bandwidth ...lol
    wishful thinkin.
    kdja

kdja, its possible that they simulate contention if there's not enough people on your copper, I think esat does anyhow.

Originally posted by glimmerman
    kdja, its possible that they simulate contention if there's not enough people on your copper, I think esat does anyhow.
    Can't imagine why they'd do that - it costs them nothing extra. The only possible "benefit" would be lowering customer expectations. But then you'd get customers asking why their 1Mbit DSL line never, ever goes at 1Mbit. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'simulating contention'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by kdja
    im still afraid to go over it.
    And until i get somfin better form Eircom.
    Maybe im the only person in D22 to get it and i get 24 gig bandwidth ...lol
    wishful thinkin.
    kdja

At the moment you probably are, but im trying desperately to get my line to pass. Im living next door to the exchange (/throws stone out window and hits the wall of the exchange) yet eircom keep telling me my line has failed. If they dont give me a reason for it failing soon ill start throwing bigger stones at them!!!

Hey, how can I quote posts correctly?

>Can't imagine why they'd do that - it costs them nothing extra. >The only possible "benefit" would be lowering customer >expectations. But then you'd get customers asking why their >1Mbit DSL line never, ever goes at 1Mbit. Unless I'm >misunderstanding what you mean by 'simulating contention'.

It probably is to lower customer expectation, I can't think of any other reason either. But this is not gospel, I "heard it from a man down the pub" :)

Originally posted by glimmerman
    Hey, how can I quote posts correctly?

Aha! never mind :)

having waited and waited for any indication from esat as to when dublin will receive their service, and having it on some authority from "the man down at the pub" (who has turned out to be pretty reliable in the past anyway) that dubs won't see it for a bit yet, having waited for any indication from NTL as to when they would upgrade dundrum (apparently not any time soon at all), still waiting for any wireless service to come close to us....

well after all this I'm going for my last choice, namely eircrap... lets hope this turns out OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by lynchie

At the moment you probably are, but im trying desperately to get my line to pass. Im living next door to the exchange (/throws stone out window and hits the wall of the exchange) yet eircom keep telling me my line has failed. If they dont give me a reason for it failing soon ill start throwing bigger stones at them!!!

My line "failed" in the trials..somehow..it magically works now...don't give up :)

Heres a trick for you..i told the lady when i was ordering that an engineer was out recently doing work and he said i should have no problems here..she accepted that and booked one for me to install it for me..so here i am ..downloading the internet..and if the caps hit..i am truely screwed..first day 2gb's...today..starting to worry..only one gb..only another 28 to go...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

downloading the internet..and if the caps hit..i am truely screwed..first day 2gb's...today..starting to worry..only one gb..only another 28 to go...

*gets tennis racket out for the next month and sits in back garden *
    hehehe

Well i only realised somfin earlier today i got installed on the 6th have been conservative with dloads and roughly 1.9 gig into PC.
    So with only 4 days left in the month and 1.1 gigs left of my allowance starting to wish i got it late in the month :(
    me going mental on friday and "downloading the internet"

Kdja

btw stole your quote and made a commandment out of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Longfield

My line "failed" in the trials..somehow..it magically works now...don't give up :)

Heres a trick for you..i told the lady when i was ordering that an engineer was out recently doing work and he said i should have no problems here..she accepted that and booked one for me to install it for me..so here i am ..downloading the internet..and if the caps hit..i am truely screwed..first day 2gb's...today..starting to worry..only one gb..only another 28 to go...

I had an engineer out installing a second line. While he was doing that I got him to test my first line (which I kept being told had failed). He said there was a partial short circuit on the line. Rang faults, and they sent out an engineer. He found the problem (damn Sky Digibox causing short circuit on my line) and tested the line afterwards. He said it was fine and should have no problems passing. Rang up sales straight away and they still said the line failed. I told them that an engineer had checked the line and said it was fine but they kept saying that it showed as failed and wouldnt do anything else. They told me to call faults - No point in doing that as the engineer had fixed the fault and the line was fine. AFAIK, in another thread somebody had stated that they dont actually test the line there and then, they just look up the results from a previous test done on the line which could have been done weeks ago.

Anyway, i dont know what to do now. If i ring them back they'll probably send me to customer care - They havent got a clue either, they just send you back to i-stream sales. Only two words to describe them - INCOMPETENT BA$TARDS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by longword

At the exchange level, they oversubscribe DSL 24 times.

YAAAY EirScum.

The word of the last few decades was "DACS" ... now its gonna be "oversubscribe" :rolleyes:

The muppetry award goes to EirScum for wide-ranging vision and competence

just to add on the CAP issue

Got email form Eircom regarding DSLStats web page

"The site http://dslstats.eircom.net is not publicly accessible, at the moment the only time you will find out the charges (if any) for exceeding the cap is when you receive your bill.
    "
    Thats nice.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Par for the course..the only bloody usefull site eircom have up for adsl users is now inaccessable.....the arrogance of this company is simply unbelievable.

They must have realised that this site might have actually had valuable use to their subscribers in staying within the rediculous caps so that means we better pull it...might stop them earning us some more money ..eircom really do amaze me with what they think they can get away with...this is one customer that is leaving the second they are dragged kicking and screaming into allowing esat or anyone else into offering a comparable product..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lemming

YAAAY EirScum.

The word of the last few decades was "DACS" ... now its gonna be "oversubscribe" :rolleyes:
    To be fair, practically every DSL service in the world operates on the same basis. Often with less favourable ratios - 50:1 is not uncommon for a residential service.

Advertisement