Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette for Men - Joining a club

Options
  • 23-06-2002 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

In case you don't know what I'm on about... This excerpt is taken from a book written in 1929 that I was given. Although way out of date in many instances, it does have some everlasting nuggets of etiquette for the up to date among you. This section deals with "Joining a club" which is something that is quite fitting for boards and PI in the present climate ;)

Chapter X - Joining a Club

Each club - social, political, or sporting - has its own little customs. There are a number of general rules, however, that are observed in practically every club, and if you intend or wish to become a member of any club you should bear these in mind.

Usually the procedure to join a club is not by direct application for membership, but by introduction. It will be necessary for a friend who is already a member to propose you, and, in many cases, for another member to "second" your proposed admission. You will be notified in due course by the secretary whether you have been accepted by the committee. If accepted, you should remit the necessary subscription and entrance fee before making use of the club premises.

It is generally advisable to visit a club on one or two occasions as the guest of a member beforejoining, in order that you may be certain you will feel "at home" there if admitted to membership. In certain cases a period of "probation" is the custom before a man is admitted to full membership.

Upon becoming a member you should make it your business to familiarise yourself immediately with the rules of the club. Your behaviour during the first month or two of your membership will have a considerable bearing on your "standing" and popularity in the club afterwards.

It is invariably an understood thing that members are on speaking terms without the formality of an introduction. You should not be unduly shy at conversing with other men. On the other hand, do not thrust yourself forward. It is much better to drift into the easy friendship that characterises the relationship between the members of most clubs.

You should not take advantage of your membership to ask business or similar favours of other members; nor should you endeavour to persuade members to use their influence in any outside matter on your behalf. In many cases a man's club is his refuge from business and other concerns, and you will be breaking at least an unwritten law if you try to intrude business affairs.

It is the duty of every member to preserve the property of a club, such as furniture, fittings, books, and so on. And above all a member should always so conduct himself as to maintain the dignity and good name of the club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

So does all that mean if you pinched say a waitresses ass or sprayed ****e all over the marble coated toilets you'd be binned from the club? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, it doesn't say that so I guess it must be allowed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Little Imp

Originally posted by Gordon
    Well, it doesn't say that so I guess it must be allowed :D
    Oh dear lord :rolleyes: that books great but what about women's club etiquette for us more discerning laydeeez? Or is it not so formal in mud wrestling circles these days??? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Little Imp

Already getting me coat so!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some of that stuff could (and should) be included in the initial mail sent to new boards members. Certainly the last four paragraphs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Little Imp

Oh dear lord :rolleyes: that books great but what about women's club etiquette for us more discerning laydeeez? Or is it not so formal in mud wrestling circles these days??? :D;)

As far as I am aware there is many more books and manuals concerning "Etiquette For Ladies". It was widely taught in Posh all-girl secondary schools in the 50s and 60s. Some of them are still about today(Mt. Anville springs to mind).

The Ladies version is very laughable when compared to the modern woman... i.e. How to be a good virgin...
    Although there are some interesting aspects that mirrior the Karma Sutra . i.e. How to please your man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

my philosopy on the life of a man: carry urself, try not to get in the way, blokey bloke bloke wahey! :)

Advertisement