Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for jobs

• 23-06-2002 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Where do ye apply for jobs. I think newspapers & job sites are full of recruitment agencys. Is it better to apply on spec to companies?Applying for jobs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

If you're a recent graduate like myself, you are better off avoiding recruitment agencies, because they don't want to know you. You are better of applying to the companies directly. Gather some info first, don't go to an interview and when you're given an opportunity to ask questions, don't say "As a matter of interest, what do ye guys do anyway?". It wouldn't go down well.

And also if you get called for an interview, and they (most likely will) ask you what is your greatest weakness, don't say "Cryptonite". It has been thrown in for a laugh on so many occasions, they will probably ask you to leave for being so unoriginal. ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Link that might be of some use:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020107/194/cnltj.html

Maybe have a look on www.irishjobs.ie

Lots of agencies and companies list available jobs there

As phobos said, most agencies won't do anything for you if you haven't got experience - it just doesn't pay them.

Most Irish agencies are listed on
    http://www.exp.ie/rec_agents.html
    though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by sceptre
    As phobos said, most agencies won't do anything for you if you haven't got experience - it just doesn't pay them.

I've 8 years experience and agencies still suck, they always have and methinks they always will.

But at times like this its not all their fault.

Employers are creating mad composite jobs (i.e. an array of requirements), and these jobs are in general unfulfillable.

Secondly, entry level jobs have now had a hike in experience requirements, but not in salary.

... and you're wondering why employers are always complaining why that can't get staff. gees.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Have to agree wit Dazberry

Recruitment feck**s just phob you off with ****ty excuses we'll be in touch when the recruiter gets back to us and then the jobs filled etc etc, even thought you have ample experience you are up against people with loads more who are prepared to work for less money that they normally would...

Your best bet is to apply to companies directly, but keep the chin up, cos it can get you down. I have an interview on Friday so fingers crossed...

Advertisement