Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comic Character name ???

• 23-06-2002 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

This should be easy for someone.
    IN the old 2000ad (about 10 yrs ago)
    there was a strip in it about a soldier with 5 talking chips(gun,helmet and others).
    What was his name???
    he ruled but i cant think of his name .
    Rogue Trooper i thinkn it was but not sure
    kdja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Rouge Trooper or Rouge Soldier, he had a blue face?buichaos ar an abhar sin...
    33,000 members in Ireland, so are there any bad apples or are Fr33masun**s all very good?

IN THE 1970s there were allegations in connection with unsolved bomb attacks in Italy that secret service agents, clandestine *Freeemasooon**s (members of the P2 Masonic Lodge), mafiosi and right-wing extremists were conspiring to destabilise Italy to provoke a coup. Renewed "P2" activity was reported in 1992 and connections between the mafia and Feemasu***s were openly acknowledged

Although Free****s speak fervently about how moralistic their organisation is, that does not mean it is immune to a few bad apples. The late John Furze, the senior figure at the Cayman Islands end of the secretive Ansbacher Deposits operation (used to defraud the Irish Revenue of millions of pounds from the 1970s to the mid 1990s), was a *********

Fee*****ry denies the Catholic faith. God commanded, "You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve." *********ry does not acknowledge Christ's revelation of the Blessed Trinity or anything else in His public revelation. Jesus said, Jn 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." In fact, it pointedly rejects Christianity as a truth.

The Scottish Rite, an appendant Masonic body, in its Knight Kadosh (30th) degree, requires that the candidate stab a skull with a papal tiara, and a skull on which is a crown, saying, "Down with imposture! Down with crime!" In the fourth oath the Knight Kadosh again focuses on the "cruel and cowardly Pontiff, who sacrificed to his ambition the illustrious order of those Knights Templar of whom we are the true successors." All present then trample on the papal tiara while shouting "Down with imposture!" *********ry's conflict with the Catholic Church is veiled in the Blue Lodge, but here the veil is lifted to reveal hatred.
    By 1653, Catholic resistance in Ireland was at an end. Catholic land-owners were largely dispossessed, as Cromwell had been using confiscated land to pay off the back pay he owed to the army. The English had completely subjugated the entire island, by a combination of massacres, pestilence, and starvation which was estimated to have killed between half and two-thirds of the Irish people. Thousands of others were shipped off into slavery in the American colonies and the West Indies. Those who could began to flee to Europe.

Worse followed when the English Parliament declared that after May 1, 1654, under penalty of death, no Irish could live east of the River Shannon and only those who could prove they had not been rebels could own land west of the Shannon. All the land east of the Shannon was divided among Protestant settlers.
    Cromwell started out 1654 by making peace with the Dutch in April. He also established the first *********'s Lodge in London, which is why the Catholics still don't trust the *********s (because it was started by Cromwell). In September, the first Protectorate Parliament was seated. The first thing they wanted to do was rewrite the Constitution. Cromwell booted them out after a year and resorted to open military government, dividing England into 11 districts, each administered by a major-general.

The triumphant Protestants retired to Dan Winter's Inn in Loughgall and there and then founded the Orange Order. Taking a leaf from the Defender's book, they too modelled their organisation on *********ry (which is not surprising in that several of the organisation's founders were already *********s). Thus from *********ry they took the four tier lodge system (primary, district, county and grand lodges), ceremonial (e.g. initiation rituals), symbolism and oath-bound secrecy. Official Orange historians maintain that the Orange Order was formed because the Masonic Order had proved ambivalent when Protestant members had appealed to it for help against the Catholic threat.

Two years later the Black Institution was formed and though its origins are officially shrouded, it's believed it was founded by disaffected Masons after many of their brethren were involved in the United Irishmen Rebellion of 1798. Thus it was formed on similar lines to Masonry (e.g. it has 12 'degrees' through which initiates can pass), but is pledged to loyalty to the Crown.

The ruling class in Ireland was at first opposed to the Orange Order. However as the war with France went on and the United Irish Movement was increasingly taken over by Catholic Defenders, preaching rebellion rather than the constitutional struggle initially espoused by the Protestant founder of the United Irishmen, Wolfe Tone, they began to support it as a counter-revolutionary movement The Government's response to the failed 1798 Rebellion was to pass the Act of Union -against which the Orange Order was the loudest opponent! Only when Catholic Emancipation came in 1829 did they go over to the side of Unionism which is where they have remained to this day. As Orangeism grew in Ireland it developed a second 'degree', the Purple. A separate self-governing 'degree' also arose called the 'Royal Arch Purple'. Only those who have passed through the Orange and Purple degrees can be admitted to it and only those who have passed through these three degrees can be admitted to the Black Institution. It's significant that when the Order was persuaded to drop oath-binding secrecy (scarcely proper in a loyal organisation as it threatened to undermine the legal system - though the oath was replaced by a promise binding to secrecy) the Royal Arch Purple maintained its oath of secrecy. In its rituals Orangemen would admit the Royal Arch Purple most closely resembles Masonry.

The Influence of *********ry
    Covenanters strongly reject *********ry as an antichristian pseudo-religion. Yet *********ry has strongly influenced Orangeism, not just in its organisational structure and ritualism, but in the way it presents itself with its display of grand titles and regalia with mysterious symbolism.

In Britain, although the United Grand Lodge of England does not accept women, there are several lodges that are women-only and one, the Co-Masons, which is mixed, but "they are not officially recognised by us or by the United Grand Lodge of England," says Barry Lyons. "Until there is a groundswell of objection from the younger members, this men-only policy won't change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Rogue Tropper
    tis a great story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

the chips were Bagman,gunner and helm
    Never could see the point of helm,was he supposed to be the lookout or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

why did they hate Rogue???
    IM kinda vague on the stroyline but he was Awol and on a mission of sorts...
    Anyone got better recollection.
    Also i havent read a comic in along time,is 200AD still out ,Still any good??
    (gaze into the face of doom,Gaze into the fist of Dredd" aww the memories :)

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I think his "mission" was tracking down some general who had betrayed the other GIs(genetic infantrymen ?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

me thinks is name sould be match stick man speical power fliking match sticks that are on fire at u :):):)

REALY me thinks ROGUETROOP is his soldiers

and his name SRGNT roguetrooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Rogue Trooper was the story name, but I think the characters name was Friday. Bagman, Helm and Gunnar were his buddies, and his piece on the side was called Venus Bluegenes. I have read some great stories from that. That was back when 2000AD was great, not so sure about it anymore, mores the pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by kdja

(gaze into the face of doom,Gaze into the fist of Dredd" aww the memories :)

Kdja

That was a quote when Dredd first came up against the 4 Dark Judges, and the quote was

"Gaze into the face of fear, Gaze into the fist of Dredd."

Yes I know, a little anal of me, but hell if you are gonna quote, do it right, do it wrong or do it the Max Power way (which is wrong but quicker) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Originally posted by SYL
    Rogue Trooper was the story name, but I think the characters name was Friday. Bagman, Helm and Gunnar were his buddies, and his piece on the side was called Venus Bluegenes. I have read some great stories from that. That was back when 2000AD was great, not so sure about it anymore, mores the pity!

His name was Rogue, Friday was the next Rogue trooper after Rogue went off
    Venus Bluegenes was another GI who was a bit crazy but she was his bit of fluff
    i dont know about being a side piece unless she was killed and "chipped" after i stopped reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Thats right the original series was Rogue and the spin off was Friday they were both Gi's, and they done a story were both met up a couple of years ago, and as far as i remember therer was a Venus Bluegenes spin off too. I have a real big Rogue Trooper poster somewhere and a huge Slaine one too, must find em and put em up in the new apartment.

Bomb

• Advertisement

In my opinion though, 2000AD has seen better days. The ol' Judge Dredd / Judge Fear quote there brough memories flooding back. But in my opinion, the best 2000AD stories were (in no particular order) Button Man, ABC Warriors and Slaine. They should make a movie of Slaine and Button Man, they would be great.

Yes I know, a little anal of me, but hell if you are gonna quote, do it right, do it wrong or do it the Max Power way
    Ah yes me member now it was Judge Doom not Judge Fear :(
    member one with burning building and PSi Anderson was in it and the Evil judges were in it and she had to do a PSi thing to get Dredd in.
    So 2000Ad isnt as good as it was then.
    See it in shops and do be tempted to pick it up.
    Kdja

agggh going to be anal again

the four dark judges are Fire, Fear, Mortis and Death, there was never any Judge Doom. Although in the Batman/Dredd crossovers (Die Laughing) The Joker became a Dark Judge for a while.

And for patheticness sakes, the two Sisters where Nausea and Phobia....oh yeah and Dredd (Kraken) became a Dark Judge aswell....jesus I could go on :)

Originally posted by SYL
    In my opinion though, 2000AD has seen better days. The ol' Judge Dredd / Judge Fear quote there brough memories flooding back. But in my opinion, the best 2000AD stories were (in no particular order) Button Man, ABC Warriors and Slaine. They should make a movie of Slaine and Button Man, they would be great.

is it just me or should any maker of a 2000AD story simply get Manga to do it. I mean SF 2 was sheer brilliant as a manga movie, much better then that damn Van Damme/Kylie Minogue crap that was spewed out.

Just imaging it a decent 2000AD story in full glorious colour with loads of blood and gore, just perfect for such things as the ABC Warriors (Pineapples, Blackblood and Dreadlock are my favs), most Dredd long stories (Apocolypse War???) or Slaine (ahhh the blood, the laughs and most of all the dwarf Ukko!!!!!!!)

agggh going to be anal again

yes extremly but thx wasnt sure been a long time :)

Would love to see 2000AD in manga.
    Would be cool.
    Kdja

Couldn't agree with you more Ph3n0m, they would make classic manga movies. I loved the streetfighter one, and the soundtrack was cool too. Oooooh, I still get flashbacks of the Chun Lei vs. Vega fight in her apartment, that was awesome.
    Don't know how the publishers would go about getting manga to do it though. I do know however, that there is another Judge Dredd movie being made at the mo, don't know much details as it was a friend that told me about it. Might be good though, better than the Stallone effort.
    If there were some Manga movies made though, I would like to see the Judge Dredd 'Purgatory' story done, about the prison planet that holds all the convicted judges & they break free and come back to Mega City One and take over. I really liked that one, Grice was the classic anti-hero in it. ABC Warriors and Slaine would go without saying, can you possibly imagine how fukking violent they could make them?????
    Dammit, almost makes me wish I had gotten into animation as a career.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

2000AD has really improved again over the last couple of years and the current crop of stories are excellent. As it happens there is story about a GI (who may be related to or even be the orginal Rogue Trooper) in the current issues.

The orginal Rogue Trooper was the only survivor of a massacre. He then went off to find the trator general who had betrayed him and his mates.
    Friday was a retelling of it or something like that - I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SYL
    If there were some Manga movies made though, I would like to see the Judge Dredd 'Purgatory' story done, about the prison planet that holds all the convicted judges & they break free and come back to Mega City One and take over. I really liked that one, Grice was the classic anti-hero in it.

Yeah that was brilliant. The guy who played Kyle Reece in Terminator I always thought would be perfect for that role.

Rogue Trooper was 2 genetic guys afair. The Original was just named rogue, and had biochips built into his equipment named helm, bagman and gunnar.

Afair, the original died, and they created a second story starring Friday, a similar GI. He got 3 biochips for his equipment - Ace (bag), Top (helmet) and eight-ball (gun). Eight-ball had lost the plot a bit, and tended to be a tad psychotic when given control of the gun. These 3 chips are the souls of GI's who were captured by an alien, who would arrive on a battlefield (after the battle) and capture the souls of soldiers, which were then encoded onto biochips. The 3 biochips he saved (he killed all of the others on this alien's ship) were part of his old platoon, afair Ace was the commander, and he slotted them into his equipment.

God I managed to remember all that just now. Brilliant :D.

Yeah Sláine was classic. As was Finn. ABC warriors....ohhh it's all coming back.

www.2000adonline.com - They're going 25 years this year (the comic, not the website, duh)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

My personal favourite series was the first 'BAD COMPANY' series

It was so dark and glomey .. GRITTY - the way war series should be.

Almost forgot about Finn there, Seamus. Good story, if all a little weird. About the only time you would see a Taxi-driver get off his ar$e to save the world. Tabula Rasa's and all that. I remember in one issue I got a Finn poster, of him clinging to the side of a wall with the black shroud all around him. I still have it, one of the best posters I have, so so so dark, I love it.
    Do you remember Button Man or Mean Arena or Slaughterbowl, they were class. Me and a guy I know have actually nicknamed a barmaid in a local pub 'Durham' after Durham Red from the Strontium Dogs story - she looks the spitting image of her (which is not a bad thing at all). Some of the stories with Johnny Alpha or Feral in them were cool.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

And where would this pub be? A real life Duram Red? Yum!

One of my favourite bits of dialog is in Finn. It goes along the lines of:

Solider: How do you kill a shadow?
    Commander: Keep shooting until one screams and falls over.

Works much better when you read it...

Button man was super. As far as I remember the film rights have been bought, but nothing has ever been done with it.

The Pub is in county meath, you have to see her (the barmaid) when she's wearing sunglasses, its deadly. She's not a bitch though, real princess actually but I can safely say that I have covetted her body on many occassions thus far.
    Good news about the Button Man rights, hoepfully they will do something about it. I heard that there is another Judge Dredd movie in the works too - low budget - avante garde directors etc etc

Advertisement