Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Komplett Kit.. hard drive question...

• 23-06-2002 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

OK - so I bit the bullet, ordered the 1900 XP bundle from komplett and now that its all built and running I'm a very happy bunny, with one exception.

I ordered 2 x 80gb Maxtor 7200rpm drives with the kit. Both arrived, both are installed (master and slave etc.), but my problem is that only one of them is showing as the 80gb. The second drive thinks its only 33gb.

My question is this.. is there anything stupid I could have done during the installation to cause this?.. or anything I can check to verify if it is indeed an 80gb drive or a 33gb drive?

I will be emailing komplett back tomorow.. but before I scream at them I wanted to check if there was something silly I might have done that resulted in the system seeing my second drive as 33gb only.

ps - at boot stage the drive info is displayed on screen, and it clearly states one is 80gb and the other is 33gb, even though the drive type is identical on both.

Any help or guidence appreciated. Thanks in advance..

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Some manufacturers include a jumper to set the drive to just 32mb (even though it might show as 33 on your bios its close enough) for older board compatibility. Id check for that first. Otherwise try the problem drive as a master on its own channel. Also perhaps manually enter the CHS values into the BIOS rather than rely on autodetect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Just check the jumper settings. You've probably (as suggested above) set up the reduced drive capacity when changing the jumpers to slave mode.

http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/diamondmaxPlus/QuickSpecs/42093.htm

/me was bored so I looked it up.

Actually, one thing that annoys me (dunno about Maxtor) is drive makers who don't write the settings on the drive somewhere. I was reconfiguring a PC yesterday for a friend and had to put all the drives back to the original config because I wanted to go online and check the right settings. "operating system not found" didn't impress him. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks folks,

I've just printed off the disk drive product manual from Maxtor and will be lifting the covers on my new system again tonight to suss out the jumpers and settings.

c0y0te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah i got a 120gb IBM and there are jumper settings on there to limit to 32mb.. so its probably for systems that cant see any more than 32mb (defeats purpose of buying a 120 lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Problem Solved.:D

The jumpers had been inverted (or at least the drives must have been upside down when the jumpers were initially set). Rejigged it and now have 2 x 80gb spanky drives to play with. Thanks folks.

c0y0te

• Advertisement
Advertisement