Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moody ATA100 drive

• 10-08-2001 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I've got a 30G IBM75GXP ATA100 drive which is acting funny... I installed win2K on it (no other hdds attached) on a 900Mhz AMD + Chaintech 7AIA5 m/board. Installed ok, then after some unrelated hardware change (I disabled onboard audio) it came up with the error message: "Delayed Write failure - Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c:\winnt\..etc... data has been lost". After a quick freakout and backing up 3Gs of files I realised that no actual data was lost.
    I've used the hd for months as a storage drive (ie., not boot drive) on a second PC with zero probs. The next time I booted up with it (on the first PC) it won't even see the drive in the bios. I change the hd jumper to slave, still doesn't work; I change it to cable select, it _does_ work. I think the problem is I'm swapping the drive around from one machine to another, using it as a boot drive on one and a non-boot drive on the other.
    When the drive doesn't appear in the bios, there's a funny noise coming from the drive itself, 3 ticks in a row, then a pause, then 3 ticks again.
    Sorry for the long-winded message, basically I can get the drive to work eventually, but has anyone else experienced the same error message, + does anyone know the meaning of the 3 ticks noise?

ta!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My intial gut reaction to ticking noises is a h/w fault within the drive. Used to happen with 8gig Western Digitals a fair bit but IBM drives are usually very reliable.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd go with amp on this one, ticking drives are usually bad news, you could also try the IBM Drive Fitness Test which should give you a better indication if it is a hardware problem.

EDIT: Buggered up the link biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 10-08-2001).]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

The clanking sound you're hearing is bad, and indicates the drive is on the way out.

The platters and heads inside a HDD require a lot of precision to function well; and it's inevitable that most HDDs will die a death at some stage.

Many times I've seen a drive that during initial spinup just does not want to cooperate, and will not go any further; and then boot perfectly and work away for hours.

Eventually however it'll completely fry, so get as much of it backed up as possible and get your replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

recently, there was a power surge (I reckon) and I ended up with some bad sectors on my drive, and it made the horrifying ticking sound. Its also an IBM 75GXP. Once I ran scandisk surface scan, the bad sectors were marked bad, it no longer tried to read them. And so the problem went away, unfortunately your problem sounds even worse frown.gif . Try the drive fitness test anyway, it may be able to fix the drive, though this will require a complete format.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

from what ive read about the IBM 75GXP drives, a lot of people are complaining about ramdom bad sectors on them. im not sure what it is (because i didnt look that far into it) but i think ill stay away from 75GXP, theres been some very good reviews about the 60GXP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep I read that about the 75's too, just didn't want to jump to conclusions.
    In fairness, i still think IBM make the best drives, if anyone says Quantum to me these days i say...backup...to make matters worse they were taken over by Maxtor..nuff said..stick with IBM.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

in the meantime the drive has packed up completely, I sent it back to scan, and through a series of extremely complex and tightly controlled testing procedures they confirmed that, yes, its banjaxed and a replacement is on its way. 10Gs of data lost :<
    mental note: back up back up back up

just want to says thanx for the informative replies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

My previously ticking drives are now ornaments :-(

If you can possibly get the drive recognised in the BIOS just get all your sheeit off it. I think Quantum do a program call Tiramisu (sp?) which is pretty good for getting data off fuXored drives.

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

Advertisement